Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Under-appreciated Assistants

I have been thinking about the rise of Virginia Tech over the past few years, the past three especially, and realize that most fans give the majority of the credit to Dresser yet his assistants are rarely mentioned.  Kevin has done a hell of a job, don't get me wrong, and I love the way he promotes the program, but how big of an addition was Hoffman when he came on board from Bucknell? The lower weights (125-157) have been the Hokie's bread and butter and will continue to do so, yet I wonder if the average fan, or the new AD, have any idea how much of an asset he is. Personally I could see him on just about any staff in the country.

Thoughts?

Who are some other assistants that fly under the radar but make the program what it is?

HokieHWT-you give credit to Hoffman and rightfully so for the work with the lighter weights. Who gets credit for Chris Penny's run last year? Never saw that coming out of HS...  

Robie, hands down for technique and Dresser for the mental aspect. Kevin has always been a great motivator and gets the most out of his guys, always has dating back to his time at Grundy. I saw a lot of potential in Penny, coached against him while he was in high school, lots of raw talent.  The fact that he didn't train in Blacksburg two summers ago and was iffy on whether he was going to even wrestle his senior year was the biggest surprise.  He got hot at the right time and was, in my opinion, one of the biggest surprise AA of 2014. 

Edited by HokieHWT

J Jaggers Ohio state

Casey Cunningham penn st

Sean bormet Michigan

Damion Hahn Cornell

I'm not arguing that these guys aren't excellent assistants and three of the four head coach material right now, but the title of the thread was under-rated assistants. Cunningham, Bormet and Hahn are always names in the mix of head coaching gigs when they come up.

Jaggers, on the other hand, to me, fits right into this thread. The Stiebers alone could verify that, then you add in Johnni D. and Demas and he's really proven that he can coach.

Once you are the associate head, you're not an under appreciated assistant! 

Haha! I see what you mean, but I disagree. Ryan Ludwig at Northern Illinois was the Associate head coach for two seasons before Dave Grant retired. Given what little progress they have made in the time he has been in DeKalb (0 All-Americans, five qualifiers as head coach in three years going into the 2015 MAC tournament; three NCAA qualifiers in two seasons as associate head; two conference champion (none since 2011); only one kids seeded in the top four for the conference tournament this year; and a 35-40 record in four seasons of dual meets), I don't know that he was ever in the mix for another DI head job outside of that tiny town.