Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Under-appreciated Assistants

Haha! I see what you mean, but I disagree. Ryan Ludwig at Northern Illinois was the Associate head coach for two seasons before Dave Grant retired. Given what little progress they have made in the time he has been in DeKalb (0 All-Americans, five qualifiers as head coach in three years going into the 2015 MAC tournament; three NCAA qualifiers in two seasons as associate head; two conference champion (none since 2011); only one kids seeded in the top four for the conference tournament this year; and a 35-40 record in four seasons of dual meets), I don't know that he was ever in the mix for another DI head job outside of that tiny town.

Yeah a better way of putting is if you are an associate head for a power program, you are not under appreciated. Kind of like Pariano was at NU and Perry at Illinois. The only one I think defies that statement is Cody Sanderson. As mentioned above, Cunningham and Cael are regularly mentioned, but Cody's name not so much.

Joe LeBlanc.  His work at Northern Colorado is yet to be seen but look at what he did last year with Ophir Bernstein at Brown. He was an all american and now he's unranked.

I don't agree with LeBlanc. Take a look at Ophir road to All American last year. Nothing against him but it was one of the easier routes to placing. And one good wrestler doesn't determine who is a good assistant or I should say under-appreciated assistant. Do we know how he is in the office or in the room? All these things should take into account on who is under appreciated.