Sign in to follow this  
buf87

Josh Kindig

I was surprised to see that Davey Dolan will wrestle at 149 for OSU according to the Cowboys newsletter. However, as it has been pointed out the Big 12 isn't a qualifying toyrnament for the NCAAs. I'm guessing Kindig's RPI is high enough to qualify him.

I'm pretty sure at large candidates have to weigh in and complete at the qualifying tourneys.  Isn't this the Dustin Schlatter rule?  Even though the Big XII isn't a qualifying tourney, per se, it is still the demonstration of a wrestler's intent to earn a spot at NCAAs (albeit through the at large pool)

Edited by lu_alum

I'm pretty sure at large candidates have to weigh in and complete at the qualifying tourneys.  Isn't this the Dustin Schlatter rule?

That is my understanding too. But is the Big 12 a qualifying tournament? No qualifiers are earned from it. I am not sure if Big 12 teams actually participate in a qualifying tournament.

The Great West Conference was in a similar situation with basketball and baseball, before they folded. They were not officially a qualifying tournament because their teams could not get an auto-bid for winning but all teams in the conference could earn an at-large bid (though they never did).

Edited by Pinnum

I'm pretty sure at large candidates have to weigh in and complete at the qualifying tourneys.  Isn't this the Dustin Schlatter rule?

Big XII is not a qualifying tourney.

I think he has to wrestle otherwise, why would ISU let (for instance) Earl Hall wrestle because if he loses the rematch to Brewer it will drop his NCAA seed. Same for Gabe Moreno. It makes no sense for the highest seeded wrestler to risk an upset, which leads me to believe you still have to wrestle the Big XII

I agree with Hawktalk3,  If it doesn't matter, why would Marsden, Gadson,  Dieringer, Hall, Klimara, wrestle at the Big 12.  Nothing can be gained, but could get hurt or upset and drop their seed.