Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

Rutgers

Ashnault loses to Abidin.

Rutgers stuck on 18.5. Indiana inches closer with a Walsh victory. Exciting race for 11th!

Jersey homers are silent

Abidin beat Ashnault in the dual earlier this year, so it's not a surprise. If anything, you could knock the Rutgers stuff for not developing Ashnault, who appears to have made zero progress since this summer and probably regressed. But losing to Abidin was not new.

Your other points, while brutal, are legit. I am surprised by how poorly they are doing. They have some tough kids with high potential this year.

Just another jackass looking for an internet beef.  RU has basically wrestled to seed.  They have a nice team, they wrestle tough.  They are a better dual than tournament team.  Theobold getting hurt is a drag, but those are the breaks.  Everyone else is right around where expected.  

Not that you are worth responding to - I'm throwing some pity your way. 

We should not de so much concerned with Rutgers and Maryland as we should be with MSU and Indiana. Both of these teams have been in the Big Ten for years and look at their performance.

We should want every team in the big 10 to do well,

Rutgers finishes with 20.5 points, outscoring most individual champions. They didn't quite catch Logie though. This is a program on the rise! They return 9 starters (+ Giraldo), have a completely average to below-average recruiting class, and are knocking on the door of the top 10 in this conference! Watch out Purdue!

Edited by LemonPie

Rutgers finishes with 20.5 points, outscoring most individual champions. They didn't quite catch Logie though. This is a program on the rise! They return 9 starters (+ Giraldo), have a completely average to below-average recruiting class, and are knocking on the door of the top 10 in this conference! Watch out Purdue!

Really good thread you started here. Keep it up.

Rutgers apologists always make excuses.  I am a fan and agree they underperformed and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out, even if done in a way to annoy fans of the team.  As far as wrestling to seed goes, I think most fans expected certain wrestlers to outperform their seeds, especially at 157 and HWT where the low seeds where related to early season injuries.  

Hopefully they can bounce back and make some noise next week!   

They are a pretty young team.  They lose very little to graduation heading into next season.  I think they will see more improvement  in the conference than some are suggesting above, even if this weekend was a bit of a disappointment.   

Rutgers apologists always make excuses.  I am a fan and agree they underperformed and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out, even if done in a way to annoy fans of the team.  As far as wrestling to seed goes, I think most fans expected certain wrestlers to outperform their seeds, especially at 157 and HWT where the low seeds where related to early season injuries.  

Hopefully they can bounce back and make some noise next week!   

.With whom are you agreeing that they under-performed?   They were seeded as they should have been based on their recent efforts, not because they were shortchanged due to old injuries.  The seeds played out almost exactly.   Their highest seed Theobold (4) injury defaulted out.  Ash was 5th seed and placed 5.  Perrotti was the 7 pre-seed and he took 7th.  Delvecchio was pre-seeded 10th and took 9th.  Smith has not lit the world on fire this year.   He was pre-seeded 8th and took 9th.    I would have liked to see them out-perform, but this is a tough tournament.   No excuses; they got what they earned.  

I am agreeing with the posters above who claimed they underperformed.  I don't think seeds are a ceiling that should be used to limit performance after the fact, especially for upperclassman wrestlers who have the talent to be AAs.  

Perotti is better than he was seeded.  So is SMith.  Neither lit the world on fire this season but both had to take time off which was unfortunate.  I think most fans and they themselves would agree they have the potential to do better.  That is complimentary, not a knock on their talent.   I doubt they will be satisfied to wrestle to seed in the NCAAs.  They can hang with anyone when they are on their game.     

I agree it is a tough tournament, particularly at the weights Rutgers is strong in.   

Lemon pie must be a tool with a little negative history in NJ.  Who thought RU was going to come into the Big Ten and make a statement?  Who would?  Nice that we have anonymous boards for tools like Lemon.  I applaud all the B10 wrestling that occurred, and wish them well in St. Louis. 

They did bad in the eiwa last year and then surprised everyone with an all-american.  I think they will have more than 1 AA this year.  Ashnault lost to the best guy and someone with a style thats hard for him. We've seen him beat the guy who got 2nd.  

This round is about making it to the next round. 

They were also without Camp (what happened?)

They did bad in the eiwa last year and then surprised everyone with an all-american.  I think they will have more than 1 AA this year.  Ashnault lost to the best guy and someone with a style thats hard for him. We've seen him beat the guy who got 2nd.  

This round is about making it to the next round. 

They were also without Camp (what happened?)

I actually thought they performed quite well at EIWAs last year. Taking 3rd behind Cornell and Lehigh.

At least better than I expected.