Sign in to follow this  
qwertyuiop

Iowa at Nationals

I am curious what people think about Iowa's chances of winning Nationals this season. I just moved here a few years ago, am new to the sport but have become a Hawk fan. It seems to me that we have some real holes (as far as NCAA points) at 141, 149, 165, 174, 184 and 197. Guys ranked lower than 8-10 do not have much of a history of scoring a lot of NCAA points. It seems that EL is undersized at 184 and was dominated by the Lehigh wrestler. GG seems to be history and Evans has done nothing in Nationals. The heavyweight class seems to be deeper at the top and I could see BT not repeating as AA. Our wrestlers at 141, 149 and 165 have also done nothing at Nationals, ever. I just don't see and REALISTIC way we can win. I would appreciate any info, as that is how I can learn more and discuss these matters more intelligently with new friends. Whenever I say anything like this at all, some Hawkeye fans get VERY mad at me and act irrational, yet offer me no rebuttal. If I am wrong, please educate me.

Iowa is capable of winning it all this coming March, but probably won't. Things will have to go very well for them. At 125, 133, 157 and hwt they will need top notch performances, and will need improvement at the other weights. I do not disagree with any of your statements but TB may well have his men improving more than other programs. I myself was a Hawk fan centuries ago but am no longer due to smart aleck fans who rudely questioned any dispute as to the total Hawk supremacy, which got very, very old. I hope this does not happen to you.

The real wild cards for how Iowa does will be weights 165, 174, 184. I think all 3 have an outside hsot at becoming AA, but all could miss the podium too. 125 is the big favorite, 133- possible finalist, 141- could score some point, but I would say R12 as best case scenerio, 149-will be lucky to qualify, 157- looks like the favorite, 197-maybe he will develop into a contender later in the year, but as of now I view him as lucky to qualify for nationals and will maybe iwn a match, 285- anywhere from 4th-R12 cuz 285 is so deep this year. Best case scenerio is if they Have 3 finalists and 4 other AA, they could be right there for a championship, but realisticly I think they will be fortunate to get 3rd. I will predict 1 champ, 1 other finalist, then 3 AA's with a 4th place finish.

Iowa is capable of winning it all this coming March. Things will have to go very well for them, though. At 125, 133, 157 and hwt they will need top notch performances, and will need improvement at the other weights. I do not disagree with any of your statements but TB may well have his men improving more than other programs. I myself was a Hawk fan centuries ago but am no longer due to smart aleck fans who rudely questioned any dispute as to the total Hawk supremacy, which got very, very old. I hope this does not happen to you.

It's funny that you say that, because we were just discussing this at my sons last meet. Fans as a whole are much better losers than they are winners. A little success tends to bring out the idiots regardless of what school is successful.

I am curious what people think about Iowa's chances of winning Nationals this season. I just moved here a few years ago, am new to the sport but have become a Hawk fan. It seems to me that we have some real holes (as far as NCAA points) at 141, 149, 165, 174, 184 and 197. Guys ranked lower than 8-10 do not have much of a history of scoring a lot of NCAA points. It seems that EL is undersized at 184 and was dominated by the Lehigh wrestler. GG seems to be history and Evans has done nothing in Nationals. The heavyweight class seems to be deeper at the top and I could see BT not repeating as AA. Our wrestlers at 141, 149 and 165 have also done nothing at Nationals, ever. I just don't see and REALISTIC way we can win. I would appreciate any info, as that is how I can learn more and discuss these matters more intelligently with new friends. Whenever I say anything like this at all, some Hawkeye fans get VERY mad at me and act irrational, yet offer me no rebuttal. If I am wrong, please educate me.

welcome back Suzie, we missed you.

Iowa has a chance for sure. They can take home titles at 125, 133, 157, AND 285 depending on how the brackets break down. Let's face it, Telford has a better chance of upsetting Nelson than Gelogaev. I see potential AA at 165 (Evans), 174 (Gambrall if he can get his form back), and Lofthouse could AA. If all that happens it would be an awesome championships for the Black and Gold.

Oliver and Dake moving up a weight is a huge benefit for Iowa. Ramos makes the final and DSJ wins a title.

How many more points is that?

Ramos makes the final (I agree likely but no guarantee) he was what 3d last year?

DSJ was in the finals along with Marion who is now gone.

4 point swing?

Let's face it, Telford has a better chance of upsetting Nelson than Gelogaev.
?
I'll answer your question mark with an unlikley scenario. The fact is that it's unlikely that Telford will win the title this season, but it "could" happen. Telford wrestled Gelogaev once and lost by major. He wrestled Nelson twice losing by 2-0 in each contest. Telford's go at you style worked for Gelogaev. Nelson recently beat Gelogaev with a defensive style, particularly on the feet. Seems to me if the brackets had Nelson take out Gelogaev in one side of the bracket this could be good for Telford:

Alan Gelogaev (Oklahoma State) Maj Bobby Telford 10-2

Tony Nelson (Minnesota) Dec Bobby Telford 2-0

Well, if you really are a Hawk fan, then welcome. Please excuse some Hawk fans for demanding optimism in the face of less-than-inspiring performances. If you are trolling, then you'll get what you get.

To your points: As a long-time Hawk fan, I can't disagree that the Hawks seem to have only a slim chance this year. It is possible with development at the weights you mention. Ballweg, Kelly/Grothus, Moore, Evans, Lofthouse, and Telford show great promise sometimes, but have yet to demonstrate the consistent performance necessary for large points at Nationals. For some of these guys, I'm convinced this will happen, but maybe not this year. REALISTICALLY, they have a slight chance this year, but it will require much more development this season than last year, and most fans realize this. Remember that "fan" is short for "fanatic," and that often precludes rational thinking by definition. Unfortunately, hopeless thinking, no matter how REALISTIC, precludes success

"Our wrestlers at 141, 149 and 165 have also done nothing at Nationals, ever."

"Ever" is a long time. Last year was last year, and using last year's performance as a justification for pessimism this year will not endear you to the faithful. So if you're using this approach to make friends in Iowa City, chances are you will watch the meets alone.

Let's face it, Telford has a better chance of upsetting Nelson than Gelogaev.
?
I'll answer your question mark with an unlikley scenario. The fact is that it's unlikely that Telford will win the title this season, but it "could" happen. Telford wrestled Gelogaev once and lost by major. He wrestled Nelson twice losing by 2-0 in each contest. Telford's go at you style worked for Gelogaev. Nelson recently beat Gelogaev with a defensive style, particularly on the feet. Seems to me if the brackets had Nelson take out Gelogaev in one side of the bracket this could be good for Telford:

Alan Gelogaev (Oklahoma State) Maj Bobby Telford 10-2

Oh okay. I read your post as saying that Telford is more likely to beat Nelson than gelogaev is to beat Nelson.

Oliver and Dake moving up a weight is a huge benefit for Iowa. Ramos makes the final and DSJ wins a title.

Ramos makes the final (I agree likely but no guarantee) he was what 3d last year?

4 point swing?

Add on 6 points if Iowa guys can wrestle up to fill the holes. Factor possible points away from PSU if Dake or Caldwell can send Taylor down to consolations, and Oliver can do the same with the smaller Alton.

4 point swing?

Add on 6 points if Iowa guys can wrestle up to fill the holes. Factor possible points away from PSU if Dake or Caldwell can send Taylor down to consolations, and Oliver can do the same with the smaller Alton.

Andrew Smallton

Even if all you said would come to fruition (Which won't happen)...You'll be about 25 points short!!!

4 point swing?

TROLL

I'm a Hawk fan from Virginia (go figure), and here is my highly underqualified take.

Iowa is always tough, yea Mike Evans didn't AA last year, I think he gets it done this year. I think there are a lot of positives that many don't see. McDonough, Ramos, St. John, Evans, Lofthouse, Telford... Iowa has some horses that will be pissed off and ready to run as an underdog at essentially a home event for the NCAA National tournament. Remember in 2010 (I think) they had lost a bunch of seniors the previous year in the line up, no one gave them a chance and they won the title. I won't argue that this team has it's work cut out for them, but I'm betting on this dark horse to bring it home. One way or another it will be fun to watch it unfold in Iowa; I hope to see a bunch of you there.