Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

What happened to evans?

Surprising considering his pedigree coming out of Blair.  That's all.   

Fair point, I hadn't considered.    When he was at Blair, he took down Camp., the man child from New Jersey and just dominated him.   He had 2 time champ written all over him, but then he chose Iowa.  Then when he made the huge weight cut, it seemed unreal that he would be able to be competitive, being so drained out and likely miserable, but he's managed to hold the weight and although ornery as a skunk during a prolonged heat, he doesn't appear to be negatively impacted (from a physical stand point).      But he also doesn't appear to be improving much.   He hasn't been able to separate himself from the other top guys in the weight class and you just sort of expect this year to finally be his year (year after year) and yet the individual accolades just have not been there.   He's more known for his outburst and negative attitude than anything else.   Perhaps Iowa just wasn't the right place for him to maximize his potential?    Tough to say.  

I don't now that anyone's accusing him of being great.   I think some of us are just surprised he's seemingly regressed as time has gone on.  I mean if I'm not mistaken, he didn't score a take down in 4 matches at Big 10s this weekend and he averaged 1.25 points per match.   That tends to border on mediocre and I for one would have expected a bit better for a guy with his pedigree.   Yes I get it Iowa tends to bog the offense down with the push/pull tactic then hope for a stall call but even factoring that in, Evens has largely been a disappointment.   

I think the the talk about Blair is because they improved his wrestling over there.  If you saw him prior to Blair and then the development he had at Blair, you'd have to give Buxton credit for the difference and development.   

I'm not in the Iowa room so I can't speculate who it's on, I just see a regression from a kid who appeared poised to make a huge impact and quite frankly hasn't.  Admittedly, I know little about what goes on at Iowa practices or their training culture.   

I'll give another perspective which is opposite and more valid than my first. He's ranked third. the kid is awesome, not everyone gets to be #1.

Fair assessment.  Now imagine if he was improving.  That elusive #1 spot might have already been his.   

I am not an Evans fan either, but it's hard to call him an underachiever.

Here are the top 10 recruits from his class:

1. L. Stieber

2. A. Alton

3. C. Villalonga

4. M. Evans

5. M. Peppelman

6. L.  Munster

7. J. Morse

8. D. Alton

9. ?

10. J. Kindig

Stieber is obviously in  class by himself. Evans has outperformed all but possibly Kindig. The other six have been much bigger disappointments.

I am not an Evans fan either, but it's hard to call him an underachiever.

Here are the top 10 recruits from his class:

1. L. Stieber

2. A. Alton

3. C. Villalonga

4. M. Evans

5. M. Peppelman

6. L.  Munster

7. J. Morse

8. D. Alton

9. ?

10. J. Kindig

Stieber is obviously in  class by himself. Evans has outperformed all but possibly Kindig. The other six have been much bigger disappointments.

How many years back do we need to go to find the recruiting rankings that have Brown?