Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

What happened to evans?

Anybody who thinks a likely 3xAA has not delivered is out of their minds. I don't care how good you were in HS, winning an NCAA title is a totally different animal and that should never be the bar for whether a recruit delivered or not. Every coach in the country would love to recruit 2-3x AAs out of HS, even among top 10 guys.

Yeah I have to agree.   But It's just the non offensive scoring that makes me scratch my head with Evans.  The zero take downs for the entire tournament.  The averaging 1.25 points per match.  Some of you guys are impressed by that and I get defending your guys, but I have to be honest here and call it as I see it.  A 2 time All American should have a take down he can go to for the conference tournament.   If he keeps this up, he wont be in the medal rounds at NCAAs and that will stink for him and all his fans.   Of course we can always post how he managed two AAs and most wrestlers never accomplish that.   

Yeah I have to agree.   But It's just the non offensive scoring that makes me scratch my head with Evans.  The zero take downs for the entire tournament.  The averaging 1.25 points per match.  Some of you guys are impressed by that and I get defending your guys, but I have to be honest here and call it as I see it.  A 2 time All American should have a take down he can go to for the conference tournament.   If he keeps this up, he wont be in the medal rounds at NCAAs and that will stink for him and all his fans.   Of course we can always post how he managed two AAs and most wrestlers never accomplish that.   

Evans is definitely not "my guy". I'm just weighing in with the obvious. A likely 3xAA, offense or no offense, is never a bust and always delivered to all but the most unrealistic expectation. 

It would have been great if Gilman won the Big Ten championship, and as soon all the photographers wanted to take pictures of ALL the 125 pounders, the seven other wrestlers would just jump off the podium and storm off like poor sports. But from reading some responses hear, it would be no big deal? 

As much as I do not care for Evans antics, he has as much shot as anyone to win a NCAA title this year at 174. Yes, just as much as Kokesh.  PSU guys(not me) were saying Brown had Evans number coming into NCAA's last year, and in the quarters Evans beat Brown! Plus Evans pinned Perry and should have been in the finals. Sure Evans is not flashy or will put up a lot of points, but he is tough and I would not count him out come NCAA's. 

Edited by Chasden

It would have been great if Gilman won the Big Ten championship, and as soon all the photographers wanted to take pictures of ALL the 125 pounders, the seven other wrestlers would just jump off the podium and storm off like poor sports. But from reading some responses hear, it would be no big deal?

I wouldn't care one little bit.

Seriously, does anyone know if Evans was sick? I hope he is good in two weeks, we need people like him so I can have fun and have something to talk about in the bar! Good luck to all!

He and Storley both had Solonella poisoning after sharing a pizza after weigh ins.

that would be hilarious. that would be awesome if something that weird happened. 

As much as I do not care for Evans antics, he has as much shot as anyone to win a NCAA title this year at 174. Yes, just as much as Kokesh.  PSU guys(not me) were saying Brown had Evans number coming into NCAA's last year, and in the quarters Evans beat Brown! Plus Evans pinned Perry and should have been in the finals. Sure Evans is not flashy or will put up a lot of points, but he is tough and I would not count him out come NCAA's. 

Wouldn't bother me either. It's not a fashion show....

Vak or Headshuk or anybody -

What are the CAREER records of each of the wrestlers against the other 3 combined ?

Kokesh x-x against the combination of Brown/Evans/Storley

Brown x-x against Kokesh/Evans/Storley

etc.

After 4 years of banging heads and wrestling close matches against each other, this would be a very interesting stat.

Thought someone might have that info as it was discussed earlier this season in detail. And I couldn't find the thread after searching.

Thanx Turkey man for your constructive comment.

Edited by Show_Me

Here are the big four 174 results:  Kokesh has clearly separated himself from the pack.   All the posters who claim that the matches are tossups and anybody can win just haven't been paying attention.

Kokesh (10-4)

3-3 vs Storley; 1-3sv, 3-1sv, 3-2, 4-6 tb2, 1-3 tb1, 2-1

3-0 vs Brown; 10-7, 3-2, 7-3

4-1 vs Evans; 6-9, 3-2, 7-3, 6-4, 10-4

Storley (9-11)

3-5 vs Brown; 5-7, WBF, 2-3, 8-4, 2-3, 1-2, 3-1sv, 1-4

3-3 vs Evans; 4-3, 3-1, 3-2, 1-2 tb1, 1-3 sv, 1-2

Brown (10-9)

5-3 vs Evans; 3-4, 7-3, 4-1, 2-3, 4-5 tb1, 6-3, 2-0

Evans (7-12)

Edited by jammen

My .02

DI and high level wrestling is a grind. Occasionally wrestlers get injuries that are minor but have an effect. The cuts, the pressure, the burn out and I want to win but am so done as well, catches up. Maybe Evans just has a little of all of this. Not much as he still is competing at a high level, and him winning wouldn't be that big a surprise, but at this level, with such close competition, even a little of your game would be enough.