Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

What happened to evans?

As much as I do not care for Evans antics, he has as much shot as anyone to win a NCAA title this year at 174. Yes, just as much as Kokesh.  PSU guys(not me) were saying Brown had Evans number coming into NCAA's last year, and in the quarters Evans beat Brown! Plus Evans pinned Perry and should have been in the finals. Sure Evans is not flashy or will put up a lot of points, but he is tough and I would not count him out come NCAA's. 

Did you see what Kokesh did to Brown? I don't agree. I think Kokesh has separated himself.

Fair point, I hadn't considered. When he was at Blair, he took down Camp., the man child from New Jersey and just dominated him. He had 2 time champ written all over him, but then he chose Iowa. Then when he made the huge weight cut, it seemed unreal that he would be able to be competitive, being so drained out and likely miserable, but he's managed to hold the weight and although ornery as a skunk during a prolonged heat, he doesn't appear to be negatively impacted (from a physical stand point). But he also doesn't appear to be improving much. He hasn't been able to separate himself from the other top guys in the weight class and you just sort of expect this year to finally be his year (year after year) and yet the individual accolades just have not been there. He's more known for his outburst and negative attitude than anything else. Perhaps Iowa just wasn't the right place for him to maximize his potential? Tough to say.

True... It's very similar to Jordan Oliver. I thought him coming out of college he had all the tools along with great coaching that would help propel him to the top... But they couldn't get him to take it to that next level and get past our best guy Metcalf. Maybe a change of scenery will do it... I'm glad he keeps trying though... Most guys would've called it quits by now. Edited by Buckxell

Regarding the derail, you guys are right. That was all me, I mixed up my response with something mentioned somewhere else and I mistakenly interjected it in here. Wasnt intentional, I wont reply on it any further in this thread.

Actually IAHawk brought up Gilman's name in this thread. It didn't come out of nowhere. He had a point to make and you provided a counterpoint of new information. I wasn't aware that Gilman left the podium early. Should we have some sympathy for him? Having to stoically stand next to a guy he hates while waiting for the second place medal. Had to be brutal.

Edited by LkwdSteve

Actually IAHawk brought up Gilman's name in this thread. It didn't come out of nowhere. He had a point to make and you provided a counterpoint of new information. I wasn't aware that Gilman left the podium early. Should we have some sympathy for him? Having to stoically stand next to a guy he hates while waiting for the second place medal. Had to be brutal.

I hadn't heard of that incident either, although I did recently notice that Andy Hamilton mentioned it on his Twitter feed.

Thomas Gilman on the medal stand flap: “Maybe a misunderstanding. I was up there and some of the guys were done taking pictures so I looked around and figured we were done, so I left and the crowd booed. I guess they didn’t think we were done.”

It would have been great if Gilman won the Big Ten championship, and as soon all the photographers wanted to take pictures of ALL the 125 pounders, the seven other wrestlers would just jump off the podium and storm off like poor sports. But from reading some responses hear, it would be no big deal? 

You do realize that he didn't get his medal and then run off the podium right? He might not have been happy, but lets not act like he wasn't up there for photos..

B_mZOwMU8AETzcu.png

Really, what a poor excuse.  Does Gilman not have any situational awareness at all?  He didn't realize that no other competitors had left the awards stand, nor realize that cameras were still rolling?

I mean it isn't the end of the world, but I hope this kind of excuse from Gilman doesn't take away from what a douche move it was.  Is he required to stick around, is anyone hurt from the action, of course not.  But still, someone needs to help this kid with social skills, this is becoming a trend with him.

Cmon Vak, so predictable.

If this was the first issue then you are spot on, but he is one step short of putting a 'TOOL' tattoo on his forehead.  Running into other teams huddles, crybaby shoving to Dance after losing, lets not even start on the Waters match.  What words would you use to describe the kid?  What words would a non-hawk fan use to describe the kid?

Classic stuff.

I only read the first page of complaining and couldn't read much more since. But has anybody bothered to take note that Evans is 30-3, beating great wrestlers like Storley, etc? 

Might not light up the board, but neither did Chris Perry.