Sign in to follow this  
tech_fall

Could 133 cost PSU a title?

As the title says do you think Martellotti or Gulibon would score more points at NCAA assuming they qualify.

Personally I think the answer is yes I love the heart of Conaway but think definately Gulibon and possibly Martellotti would score more team points.

I agree I don't think that 133 would be the reason behind PSU not winning another title should that happen. Sort of like Vak said - Taylor / Ruth seem to be the driving force here. They need titles it seems.

Other than that both Altons, and Brown need to be big contributors. Wright needs to simply do what he has done at the NCAAs. They don't need a title from him it seems, but they most certainly need a deep run and bonus wherever possible.

It's not going to be an easy road this year, each piece to the puzzle has some big obstacles to overcome in March. Can't wait to watch the attempt!!

I agree with above mostly. If PSU does not win at NCAAs it will surely not be from lack of points at 133. Especially since they would be favored without points from 133.

I feel better about 133 than I do about 141 right now. Pearsall took 8th at NLO, he will need to improve to even qualify.

HWT is the other question mark, as PSU got very little support at heavy last season. If Lawson qualifies which seems promising, can we expect a few more points or even AA?

Andrew Alton is not likely to make the finals as Molinaro did, but he is/was a bonus machine. So many have forgotten it seems how well he did two years ago and I think he looks much better early.

Matt Brown just needs to outscore MM's output from last season which I think is a safe bet.

Mega isn't a guarantee to make the finals at this brutal weight this season, but he has a year under his belt now and could produce more bonus as well.

DT is safe bet for 3d or better and is going to likely bonus all but two matches.

As I said at the start, if PSU finishes less than first then it will likely be one of the ranked guys (or a couple of them) underachieving , or another school doing extremely well.

Too much bonus points to deny here. Nico, A. Alton, Ruth and Taylor will likely pick up big bonus in route to the later stages. Maybe not so far for Nico. There is good possibility Q, D. Alton and Matt Brown pick up a fair share of bonus. There is just to much firepower here vs the rest of the field.

Yea personally I think PSU wins if they get 0 points at 133. They only lose if as a team they have a bad tournament and one of the other big boys has a good tournament overall as a team. It's going to be fun and it is possible but the smart money says PSU wins again.

Penn st is clearly the favorite, for all the reason people have been listing all year. However, their room for error is so small because Minny, Iowa and Okie st are all so good. There have been years in the past where the 2nd place team was just nowhere near the first place team, and that just isn't the case now. Iowa won nationals in '09 with just about everyone under performing and no champions. That won't happen this year. If everyone on PSU were to do that, one of those other teams could easily take it. Hell, it wouldn't even take a huge collapse from PSU so much as a great total team performance from either of those 3 teams I've listed, and all three of those teams have coaches who have won at least three team titles, so it's not out of the question for any of them to rise up and take the title. Should make for yet another great team race.

Penn st is clearly the favorite, for all the reason people have been listing all year. However, their room for error is so small because Minny, Iowa and Okie st are all so good. There have been years in the past where the 2nd place team was just nowhere near the first place team, and that just isn't the case now. Iowa won nationals in '09 with just about everyone under performing and no champions. That won't happen this year. If everyone on PSU were to do that, one of those other teams could easily take it. Hell, it wouldn't even take a huge collapse from PSU so much as a great total team performance from either of those 3 teams I've listed, and all three of those teams have coaches who have won at least three team titles, so it's not out of the question for any of them to rise up and take the title. Should make for yet another great team race.

I think you analysis is right on the money. I am a die-hard Oklahoma State fan and the only way we can win is for PSU to underperform at at least two weight. Iowa is in the same boat we are with three or four top performers but some weights that are not going to score some points. OSU has five-7 medal winners (Morrison, Oliver, Dieringer, Caldwell, Perry, and Gelogeav). I am not including Rosholt unless he turns his performance around considerably. PSU has too many guys that will finish in the top three for either Iowa or OSU. Even if Dake beats Taylor, Ruth will win and the Altons, Megaludis, Wright, and even Brown will score a lot of points. For PSU to lose, it would take a major collapse. I don;'t see it.

Frisco, I think your analysis is more accurate. Dieringer and Morrison are more likely to slip away from the podium than PSU's 4th-6th best guys. Taylor, Ruth, Wright and Megaludis will easily keep up with any other top four in wins and bonus, and then compare any other team's next 3 to Altons and Brown, all of whom are ranked as low as 7/8, but would not be terribly unlikely finalists. Not trying to build up PSU, but I'm a huge fan of objectivity.

Things will look a lot different when Taylor and Ruth graduate.

McDonough, Dake and most of A. Alton's competition graduating this year isn't doing anyone else any favors for 2014.

Hate to disagree (actually I enjoy it :D) but if PSU gets the commits from 2 other blue chippers they covet the loss of Taylor and Ruth might well be greatly over stated!!

Things will look a lot different when Taylor and Ruth graduate.

McDonough, Dake and most of A. Alton's competition graduating this year isn't doing anyone else any favors for 2014.

Hate to disagree (actually I enjoy it :D) but if PSU gets the commits from 2 other blue chippers they covet the loss of Taylor and Ruth might well be greatly over stated!!

Marstellar and who else? They'll have success, but it's pretty hard to bet that they'll make up for two people that score 60 points at NCAA.