Sign in to follow this  
Grecojones

Isaiah Martinez

He looks like a bigger version of Abas; he is exciting. I'd love to see him and Miller lock it up at Nationals; 57 has the best fireworks potential of any weight class.

Well iMart and iMill match #1 was closer than the outcome but I wouldn't bet against him this time around.

Meet Results

125No. 1 Jesse Delgado (ILL) dec. Del Vinas (KSU), 3-0, 3-0

133: No. 7 Zane Richards (ILL) tech fall Kyle Lukowich (KSU), 4:57, 8-0

141No. 13 Steven Rodrigues (ILL) dec. Tyler Small (KSU), 6-4, 11-0

149Kyle Langenderfer (ILL) dec. Kyle Bauer (KSU), 4-3, 14-0

157No. 2 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) pin No. 6 Ian Miller (KSU), 6:35, 20-0

165No. 8 Jackson Morse (ILL) dec. Tyler Buckwalter (KSU), 9-4, 23-0

174No. 7 Zac Brunson (ILL) dec. Caleb Marsh (KSU), 3-2, 26-0

184No. 19 Nikko Reyes (ILL) dec. Jerald Spohn (KSU), 6-3, 29-0

197: Jeff Koepke (ILL) pin Stephen Suglio (KSU), 4:30, 35-0

HWT: Brooks Black (ILL) dec. Mimmo Lytle (KSU), 5-0, 38-0

Well. Perry is probably the main partner, and iMart is his project as middle weight coach. iMart doesn't really wrestle like Perry though.

ahh ,,, based on what?  Have you ever seen Perry working out/wrestling in the room?

Pretty modest too - said in the interview that he wasn't much of anything in HS. Not so according to his bio

I watched him all 4 years in high school. He was phenomenal. As a freshman, he dominated senior Jessie Delgado the match for 3rd place at the state tournament. 

Fun fact: the only person to ever beat Isaiah Martinez at the state tournament in California was Chris Mecate. 

I watched him all 4 years in high school. He was phenomenal. As a freshman, he dominated senior Jessie Delgado the match for 3rd place at the state tournament. 

Fun fact: the only person to ever beat Isaiah Martinez at the state tournament in California was Chris Mecate. 

I coached against him at the Reno TOC when he was either a sophomore or junior in H.S. and my guy got hit with some stuff i have only ever seen Nate Carr and Jamill Kelly hit.  Been a fan ever since.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Well. Perry is probably the main partner, and iMart is his project as middle weight coach. iMart doesn't really wrestle like Perry though.

No way. Perry is not out there wrestling his guys most of the practice. He is mainly coaching now. Also, he must weight about 200 lbs by the looks of him. 

ahh ,,, based on what?  Have you ever seen Perry working out/wrestling in the room?

So after all of the posts on this topic we still don't know who Martinez trains with.  If you have inside information, do tell.  I would also be interested if he has ever got on the mat with Poeta in practice.  That would be fun to watch.

Then Martinez beat Delgado for 3rd in that same tournament (after Delgado beat Mecate in the WB semis)...

Yep, that weight class was stacked that year. It was a lot of fun to watch. 

So after all of the posts on this topic we still don't know who Martinez trains with.  If you have inside information, do tell.  I would also be interested if he has ever got on the mat with Poeta in practice.  That would be fun to watch.

Yes I'd pay to see Poeta & Martinez, haven't seen or heard that Mike's been around but its possible.  A lot of what they do in the room is drilling certain position, situations etc. so can be different partners depending on what's needed.  Its not often starters will be going live, full out, with other starters, but might drill together.  But on their feet when going live Pami and Novachkov can push Martinez in different directions.  Pami has more weight, size power but Novachkov more speed and great hips.  I remember seeing him first time at Vegas Fr/So year the way he wrestled and hips reminded me of John Smith.  Both of them can go for stuff on their feet that the team members would not try.  Even though Novochkov is a little smaller/lighter he goes after him attempting throws, position etc. you just have to think he can't win on Martinez but he and Pami don't have to worry about some of the same issues as the folkstyle team guys, its great practice for them as well.

Novachkov is a beast, but he is pretty small. He wrestles 143 in freestyle. 

My point in asking the question is, IMart has a lot of upside even from here. Imagine if he wrestled in Nebraska, Penn State, or Cornell's rooms.

Wrestling at Nebraska, Penn State, or Cornell wouldn't necessarily make him any better. He could be worse off wrestling at those schools for all we know.

Guest Kingsland

IMar definitely was a beast, but I think you've gotta give it to the guy whose winning his 4th title, and absolutely mauled everyone in his path.

I LOVE watching Steiber but damn I. Mar is incredible. I don't know who got the MOW at BIG's but my vote woulda been I Mar. because he had a tougher road and still dominated.