Sign in to follow this  
tigerstyle4life

Cox/Snyder

I missed the match but I'm surprised (pleasantly) by the result.   How exactly did the match play out? 

Mac displayed the same quickness against Snyder that he displayed against Schiller and Burak. Morgan is a kid you can definitely see that he learns from past experiences. I think he knows he can outquick these guys + he has the strength to hold on and go thru the position changes to finish his shots.

Snyder had a tough draw this weekend getting McCall in quarters and Burak in semis.  McCall did not end up having a good tourney but he's a tough matchup early and had looked good first round.

McIntosh had a great tourney.  He made some nice adjustments on his feet and top.  He was more patient with his offense and his finishes.  Prior to BT's, I'd have given him zero chance to win it all.  Now, he's back in the mix with Cox, Gadsen and Snyder.  

Tough weight.  Schiller and Burak are mighty tough as well.  

I like McIntosh's ability to score off of low leg attacks.  He really gets those guys stepping from his handfighting and lowers his level nicely. Also, I thought that McIntosh did a great job of keeping Synder in front of him and not giving him any angles to touch his legs.    Synder appeared to be to straight forward with his leg attacks.  Hopefully, Synder will be able to make some minor adjustments in the next 11 days.

Great match from McIntosh. He never gave an opening and never let Snyder get comfortable anywhere on his feet. I was surprised that Snyder didn't take a few more risks once he was losing and needed to score. Snyder's offense seems to be lacking against the top guys. He's been very straight on without working for a lot of angles and opportunities. He's certainly talented enough to turn it around in some rematches, but it won't be easy.

Biggest win at Big Ten's in my opinion. This will give tosh a better side on the bracket and I really like his chances the way I just saw him wrestle. He sure is hungry! NO reason why he doesn't beat Cox or Snyder or Gadsen.  

Mac looked great and beat Snyder from all positions that match. Complete 180 from where Snyder physically manhandled him in the dual. I agree it seems Snyder is just hesitant to pull that trigger. Normally he is shooting right after snap downs and hand snaps but he really just did a bunch of fakes and no real comitted shots. I really hope he doesnt turn his game into a one TD per match approach (versus higher ranked guys). He just lets guys in too often for that approach to work. Hope he finds his groove at NCAAs and can put up some points.

Biggest win at Big Ten's in my opinion. This will give tosh a better side on the bracket and I really like his chances the way I just saw him wrestle. He sure is hungry! NO reason why he doesn't beat Cox or Snyder or Gadsen.  

Except he's 0-3 against Cox and has never come close to scoring an offensive point.  Other than that, no reason.

Each time he has wrestled Cox it has gotten closer. It looks like they could meet in the finals and I am not betting against Mac after that Snyder match-the guy is hungry man and makes adjustments. Let the two physical beasts wrestle in the semis (Cox/Snyder) and let Mac do the rope a dope in the finals. I am very impressed with a way undersized guy who could make 174 doing what he is doing.

I'm pretty sure the first match was close, the second was a blowout and the third (this year) was essentially 2 to 0 until 5 seconds left in the match. I think the difficult thing about cox is he's also lightning quick. I think there's a reason he's number 1.

Each time he has wrestled Cox it has gotten closer. It looks like they could meet in the finals and I am not betting against Mac after that Snyder match-the guy is hungry man and makes adjustments. Let the two physical beasts wrestle in the semis (Cox/Snyder) and let Mac do the rope a dope in the finals. I am very impressed with a way undersized guy who could make 174 doing what he is doing.

There is no way he is making 174.

Mac is as much of a physical beast as Snyder, by the way. Have you ever seen him up close? People are fooled by his lack of height, but the guy is built like The Thing and is as athletic than Snyder, probably more. He is certainly quicker. Snyder might have an inch or two on him, but remember Snyder was wrestling 211 in freestyle and had to cut to make 197.

Mac made Snyder, who was on a roll, look pretty vulnerable. In a few weeks, Mac went from never touching a leg to taking all the good shots and a TD. From being ridden like a mule to escaping in a matter of seconds. A phenomenal performance. Cael has to get credit for the adjustment since Mac himself attributed it to his coaches. 

Mac would never make 174 but he has to eat often to stay in the 197range.  I feel he could make 184 if he knew that is were they want him and he culd work his way down over the summer.  I would be surprised if he does not go 86K (189lbs)  in FS.

Mac would never make 174 but he has to eat often to stay in the 197range.  I feel he could make 184 if he knew that is were they want him and he culd work his way down over the summer.  I would be surprised if he does not go 86K (189lbs)  in FS.

Agree, but why would they want him at 184? He is a proven AA at 197 and one of the three or four guys with a legit chance to win it all at 197. Is dropping to 184 to maybe get a handful of extra points worth it for the team? Then who fills in at 197? I don't see it as a good move for the team.

Agree, but why would they want him at 184? He is a proven AA at 197 and one of the three or four guys with a legit chance to win it all at 197. Is dropping to 184 to maybe get a handful of extra points worth it for the team? Then who fills in at 197? I don't see it as a good move for the team.

That is the problem. If Mac is at 197 for Penn State next year then Penn State is pretty good at 74 and 84 and real good at 97. But if he drops to 184 then Penn State is pretty good at 74, real good at 84, but probably average at 97. 

The only way I see it being possible, and I have no knowledge this could happen, is if Nickal eats his way to 197. He is actually tall enough, but I have not heard this is something that could even happen so I would doubt it would happen. 

How does Snyder let 2 minutes go by in the third period, behind 3-1 (effectively 4-1 with RT) and make no real attempts at scoring points?

unbelieveable

Agreed but you have to give credit to Mac for a lot of that. He was shooting and getting in on Snyder and not just trying to protect his lead. It's hard to mount an offense when you are trying to defend.

If you look at things on paper and on the mat Mac would fare much better against Dean than Cox. Mac and Dean are about the same size with Dean maybe an inch or two taller. 184 seems perfect since Mac has to eat enough to stay "near" 197. If you have to eat and lift weights to get to 197 then it is probably not your weight. Mac did this bulking up thing in HS and wrestled 215 a lot because he could destroy anyone. Now at this level it is a pretty big disadvantage for him but he tactically picked bigger guys in Snyder and Schiller apart in a beautiful display of technique. Now can he do that to Gadsen and Cox who are just as big or bigger? He has his work cut out for him.