Sign in to follow this  
smitty11

H. Stieber seed

I don't think Ryan is a great in-the-room coach, or anyone at tOSU for that matter, but he's obviously an administrative BEAST. No way he is on the line in any way.

Besides thatcher I know that Jagger's was a 2x ncaa champ and Rosselli was an AA Ryan was a national finalist and took a team that was nothing but a door mat in div1 wrestling in the 90s and turned them into a top 10 team by the time he had left for tOSU what would make you think he's not a good room coach?

I don't think Ryan is a great in-the-room coach, or anyone at tOSU for that matter, but he's obviously an administrative BEAST. No way he is on the line in any way.

Besides thatcher I know that Jagger's was a 2x ncaa champ and Rosselli was an AA Ryan was a national finalist and took a team that was nothing but a door mat in div1 wrestling in the 90s and turned them into a top 10 team by the time he had left for tOSU what would make you think he's not a good room coach?

I don't know details of his injury, but the concussion protocol is a nice reference point. For years, football players would get concussions and go right on playing. The player wanted it and so did the coach. I would assume that Hunter wants to wrestle, that he is not being forced. The coach has an inherent conflict of interest. That's why the concussion decision is left to the trainers (or should be). Maybe the same rule should apply to all serious injuries. (And maybe the trainer did clear Hunter-- I don't know).

Just like Gable has never recovered from Randy Lewis' horrific 7th place finish his senior year. 

We're not talking about a high school kid. 

I don't think this is a totally fair comparison, since Lewis was a senior and thus in his last year of competition, which may have contributed to the decision.

That said, I don't think this is on Tom Ryan AT ALL.  This is Hunter's decision, IMO, and I just hope he truly can't get any more severely injured.  Kid was a joy to watch early on, and even though you can see him struggling now, you can still see the flashes of the talent.  Hopefully next year he can fully return to form.

This is Hunter's decision, IMO, and I just hope he truly can't get any more severely injured. Kid was a joy to watch early on, and even though you can see him struggling now, you can still see the flashes of the talent. Hopefully next year he can fully return to form.

Hunter's situation makes me think of McDonough. They were both able to perform well (to different degrees) despite injury, but anyone who actually pays attention could tell they don't look like themselves out there.

Two of the best guys in their time at getting to the legs and finishing.

Edit: I don't mean for this to read like a eulogy

Edited by madcat11

I didn't say he isn't good I said he isn't great. Thats an enormously important distinction. 

They have a lot of talent and i'm not amazed with how much they do with it. Guys like Courts, Martin I consider to be heavy underachievers. The team on the whole isn't strong at getting bonus points. It's really just a lot of little things that make me push back against the idea that they are an amazing program.