Sign in to follow this  
unbiased

4-timers grow on trees?

Everyone can't be a 4-time NCAA champ and Conference Champ. With so much expectation from coaches, family, fans, and the wrestlers themselves, it makes it so much more impressive when someone does become a four timer. The list of 4-timers is short and it always will be compared to the number of wrestlers that tried to accomplish this feat. If you have 5 really impressive wrestlers in one weight class, then 4 aren't going to be a champ. It doesn't mean that all four of them are underachieving, it just shows how tough the weight class was.

Seriously guys?  Pointing out the 5-3 'first frosh' season is frivolous.  Go back and see how he lost, and why, and to whom, all with a broken hand that ended his season. 

At the end of the day, I agree with "unbiased" and TBar in that it will be fun to watch.  Although we are all behind screen names, I'm 99.99999% confident that none of you were one of the other 4-Timers, so given the impending achievement, why all the nay-sayers.  Let the guy do his job, and when he does, relish in the fact that he did. 

Pointing out the 'flaws' only demeans the sport, and yourself.  Instead... sit back... and watch... who knows, maybe Port, Darddidn't, or Carter can pull a monumentous upset?

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from Logan but to deny the unique circumstances to allow him to compete on varsity in 5 separate seasons would be disingenuous. There are a lot of wrestlers who suffer season ending injuries while participating in less than 8 matches that year who don't get that opportunity and I've never quite understood how he got that chance. I am glad he did but I am just curious as to what made his circumstances different.

I don't think anyone is trying to take anything away from Logan but to deny the unique circumstances to allow him to compete on varsity in 5 separate seasons would be disingenuous. There are a lot of wrestlers who suffer season ending injuries while participating in less than 8 matches that year who don't get that opportunity and I've never quite understood how he got that chance. I am glad he did but I am just curious as to what made his circumstances different.

You mean like when Jordan Burroughs got hurt mid way through his true senior season and got a 5th year of varsity competition and won his second title? I never once heard anyone question that one. They both played within the rules

You mean like when Jordan Burroughs got hurt mid way through his true senior season and got a 5th year of varsity competition and won his second title? I never once heard anyone question that one. They both played within the rules

I never said Steiber violated any rules but no one seems able to point out exactly what rule allowed him to do this. I'm not trying to bag on LS at all. I am just genuinely curious.

Wasn't the Burroughs thing the first meet of the year at UNO?

On the oliver topic, the ref yelled neutral when jo got stieber to his butt. What was he supposed to do at that point, call 2 when no change in position occured? Jo chose to sit and that's why he lost. As for his true frosh year, who cares? He wrestled less than almost any redshirt and had a serious injury which hurt his record. Jb did the same thing.

I do expect we will start seeing more 4 timers now. the information age has really evolved the sport and kids are coming in ready to go at a younger age.

I never said Steiber violated any rules but no one seems able to point out exactly what rule allowed him to do this. I'm not trying to bag on LS at all. I am just genuinely curious.

They had a medical redshirt.   If you have not participated in more than 30% of the season and its the first half of the season and you have not taken a redshirt, you are eligible for a medical redshirt.  It is not a hardship or waiver.

What made it possible for each of them were two items:

1. They had not taken a RS up to the point that their season was interrupted; and

2. They had competed in less than a minimum number of their team's scheduled events (I think the number is 25%)

So, I believe these seasons are officially called RS years - with the bouts counting on their official records since they were competing as "attached" athletes. If I'm not mistaken, Burroughs made it by one match... As he happened to miss an event due to a bereavement.

Edited by lu_alum

Understandable. I just didn't know who all these people were who didn't get the whole medical redshirt issue.

I was under the impression that you had to lose two years of competition due to injury or something of that nature. The Burroughs thing had completely slipped my mind as well and I think most people have sort of forgotten about that.