Sign in to follow this  
whyme25

University Oklahoma

One of the things that impressed me about Mark Cody was his willingness to put scholarship money if a few studs. According to the article in WIN about 5 about 5 years ago he did give Josh Glenn a full scholarship to get him. If you don't have a few studs you don't place high at the NCAAs.

Today 4 guys wrestled for OU that wouldn't have recruited, three aren't good enough athletes, and one lacks mental toughness. Brad Johnson impressed me today, he had Rosholt on the ropes until Blake remebered he is a Rosholt and pulled out the win with a late takedown.

Two more recruiting classes will give OU a room full of athletes good enough for D1. Right now about half are good enough, and most are pure freshmen.

I knew it would be ugly, but still went and took 4 high school wrestlers to see top flight college wrestlers. The crowds are getting a little bigger and more are wearing red than in the past. Next year with Howe and Rutt, plus the freshmen getting experience the results should be much better. OU got a very good coach, but when you don't inherit a lot of talent a program can't be turned around over night.

wrong answer. Nobody except Cannon and Flores ever got a "full ride" at AU. Not Sanjaa...not Fittery...not the Borshoff's...not even national champion Josh Glenn got a "full ride" and P.S. "proven transfers" wer guys who had the high GPA to get into AU....which were far and few between...like Flores and Fittery.

as defined by the ncaa not meaning it was a full from cody but man do you get worked up

I get my angst from clowns like you who denigrate a guy ho has accomplished great things in spite of his challenging situation...

As a smarter man than me has posted on several ocassions...9.9 is for suckers. I doubt you have any concept as to what a full ride actually means nowadays..

king: when you are ready to get off the soapbox i will point out you weren't exactly right about american's academic standards. they are high, but certainly not on par with ivy admissions.

OU has a quality coach for the first time in years. I don't know if this redshirt ploy is a good one but it will allow the sooners to challenge in finish in the top 5 nationally. They will have virtually an all senior team next year and then he faces another rebuilding job. Howe can win and Maples will wi n year at 165. Rutt is good but not great and Patterson could AA but not past 4-5th. IO don';t think the Lester's will every get very high on the podium. I do think Cody will make OU better in the future.

Friscopoke, it won't be a complete rebuilding after next year.

Kyle Garcia probably will be as good or better than Patterson based on the results so far.

Cody Brewer is a redshirt freshman at 133, he'll have two years left.

Maple, Nick and Matt Lester will be gone. Only Maple will be impossible to replace.

Matt Reed, Greg Wilson, and Brad Johnson will have two years under their built after next year. Matt Reed is in my opinion going to be really good. Wilson and Johnson should be very solid.

Danny Chaid Jr., will be at OU next fall after spending this year at the OTC. He weighed 208 at the junior national duals. Dan sr. Told me that he thinks Danny can be 240 by next fall. He has his dad's mean streak, has mastered the front headlock. He didn't wrestle until he was in high school, played soccer growing up. I think he has better footspeed than his dad.

So for the 2014-2015 season this is what i think the OU lineup will be.

125 Kyle Garcia redshirt sophomore

133 Cody Brewer redshirt junior

141 freshman

149 Tim Hamilton redshirt freshman

157 Justin DeAngelis redshirt senior

165 Clark Glass redshirt sophomore

174 Matt Reed junior

184 Greg Wilson redshirt sophomore

197 Brad Johnson junior

285 Danny Chaid sophomore

Three starters won't have started previously. It might be Oliver Pierce as a redshirt freshman at 157, with Justin De Angelis at 165. Trust me these guys are big upgrades athletically from the guys they will replace except for Patterson, Maple, Howe, and Rutt. Maple and Howe are the types of wrestlers you can't replace, whoever replaces them can only hope to be nearly as good.

king: when you are ready to get off the soapbox i will point out you weren't exactly right about american's academic standards. they are high, but certainly not on par with ivy admissions.

You are right..I was a bit strident. I apologize for that. HOWEVER...AU is a private university...whose academic standards far exceed those (mostly state) schools who are regularly at the top of the wrestling heap. Extreemly difficult for a REAL private/Ivy school to compete on the highest lwrestling level due to academic requirements.