Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Boise State?

What has happened to the Broncos?

A few years ago they were going full bore and looked good. Now they seem to have faded away. We don't hear much from them at all. Zalesky and ASU seem to be getting the attention these days.

Anyone know what is happening in Idaho and whether they are going to move back up in rankings and performance?

Not sure what has happened in Idaho but with Arizona State hiring Zeke, Fresno coming on board and OSU seeming to move in the right direction there could be some changes coming down the road.

Here are my list of schools that may need to look hard at making a change

MSU, Minkel ship has sailed and it is time that MSU either makes a change or brings in a coach in waiting that can bring some excitement back to MSU

IU- Goldman, same as above.

Purdue - made a change to Estrand and I believe they had almost doubled their NCAA entries

MSU?IU have been at the bottom of big ten for way to long and are just hurting the overall conference

George Mason (Buckley), Duke (Lanham), Davidson ( Patnesky), Cal Poly (Buckley), Northern Illinois (Ludwig), do not seem to be moving in the right direction.   But they may be what the administration wants in regards to sports with little off field issues and good grades.

Eastern Michigan (Boyard)  first year but may be way over his head based on where they placed at MAC.

It could also be that the schools mentioned in this group outside of the Big Ten have limited funding to attract high level assistants or additional assistants. 

Back to what's going on in Idaho......BSU has been in rebuild mode for a few years now. I can probably narrow down to a few factors - not to say that there aren't more:

1. They have lost some key kids - Kade Moss originally committed to BSU but then switched to PSU after his mission. Carson Kuhn has been injured for a long time now. Their starting 133 pounder Rami Haddiin went down with an injury which forced true freshman Cook into the lineup. They also lost Scotty Bacon to injury for two years now. Himmelman was somewhat of a mystery this season.

2. They are losing the recruiting battle - Many Northwest and in state kids (Tuma, Chavez, Berger, Rodgers, etc.) have gone to the mid-west or other places - That probably takes the discussion to other areas of the BSU program. If BSU could land some of these kids as well as a few others they would be competitive.

THe good news is that BSU does have some good young talent - Obviously Geo Martinez at 141, Kuhn at 125, Gabriel Gonzalez HWT, Matt Findlay who is on a mission right now, Josh Reyes from Oregon and newly signed Seth McLeod to name a few. If they can keep these recruits healthy and at BSU then they have a good core of young kids coming up.

Not sure what has happened in Idaho but with Arizona State hiring Zeke, Fresno coming on board and OSU seeming to move in the right direction there could be some changes coming down the road.

Here are my list of schools that may need to look hard at making a change

MSU, Minkel ship has sailed and it is time that MSU either makes a change or brings in a coach in waiting that can bring some excitement back to MSU

IU- Goldman, same as above.

Purdue - made a change to Estrand and I believe they had almost doubled their NCAA entries

MSU?IU have been at the bottom of big ten for way to long and are just hurting the overall conference

George Mason (Buckley), Duke (Lanham), Davidson ( Patnesky), Cal Poly (Buckley), Northern Illinois (Ludwig), do not seem to be moving in the right direction.   But they may be what the administration wants in regards to sports with little off field issues and good grades.

Eastern Michigan (Boyard)  first year but may be way over his head based on where they placed at MAC.

It could also be that the schools mentioned in this group outside of the Big Ten have limited funding to attract high level assistants or additional assistants. 

You can't be serious about Duke and Lanham. They've just had their best year ever in terms of qualifying wrestlers to nationals, and, unless something has changed in the last couple of years, ZERO scholarships. The reason it may look like they haven't improved is because, in terms of ACC competition, they started so far behind the rest of the competition in terms of talent and funding that what they've done the last few years is a marked improvement. But they were regularly in the 60's in the Dual-Component ranking of the Dual Impact Index under Clar Anderson, and are at 32nd this year entering the tournament. To say that they aren't moving in the right direction is hilarious, unless you hope for Duke to be moving downwards.

Seton, your point leads to my comment about funding and what the coaches have to work with. For schools in the Big Ten where funding is a minimal issue, do you feel AD should hold these coaches more accountable as to the programs that are in the lower funding arena.

We all understand that the Big ten is the best conference but what the sports needs is for the recent "great" graduates to start getting offered head jobs at schools outside of the big ten.  I understand that Metcalf, Burroughs, Dake, Taylor et all are still competing but the sports them at head jobs in the ACC,EIWA , EWL...  in the near future.  They will draw recruits and increase parity which, in my opinion, will only increase opportunities to advance the sport.  i am contradicting myself but IU and MSU needs to hire one of the top young assistants. Maybe Hahn, Dubuque or Perry?   My Jersey bias coming out.... MSU should hire the strangler and IU should hire Dubuque.  Just not sure Dubuque wants to leave Jersey.

Understood that we need to keep the younger ones involved, but it would be hard to hire them right in as a head coach. I would think the hardest thing for these guys to do is step back and not be the "man". I would love to see these guys branch out and become assistants or associate head coaches first. A name alone will only last so long in recruiting.

As for Strangler and Dubuque, let's see how they develop as assistants. Strangler is in the big ten so funding is not an issue, but the IU lightweights have seemed to not develop under his watch. Dubuque is in a program that does not have Big Ten funding so let's see what he develops.

Ok, back to BSU.

When you look at the rooster they have one 125, one heavy weight, and their 197 are freshman. They seem loaded with kids from 141, 149, 157. How does this happen when they control recruiting?

Also, where do you see Velarde fitting in. Also, any word why he left ODU. Looks like he would have been in line at ODU to fill the 141 slot.

It happens when kids continue to grow and fill out. I remember when tyler safratowich won state at 103, 112 and 125 and took 2nd at sr Nationals at 125. He was projected 125/133 and ended up being a 157/165. Hayden Zillmer for ndsu right now, won state at 103,112,130 and was projected 133/141. Wrestled 157 a rs fr and couldn't make it anymore so went up to 174 some and they claimed he would go back down, he wrestled 174 last year and now is a big 184.

You can't be serious about Duke and Lanham. They've just had their best year ever in terms of qualifying wrestlers to nationals, and, unless something has changed in the last couple of years, ZERO scholarships. The reason it may look like they haven't improved is because, in terms of ACC competition, they started so far behind the rest of the competition in terms of talent and funding that what they've done the last few years is a marked improvement. But they were regularly in the 60's in the Dual-Component ranking of the Dual Impact Index under Clar Anderson, and are at 32nd this year entering the tournament. To say that they aren't moving in the right direction is hilarious, unless you hope for Duke to be moving downwards.

Glad somebody said it. When I read his criticism of Duke not moving in the right direction I flat out laughed. They also put Hartmann on the podium last year and entered the top 25 on Intermat during the season. And as you mentioned, a school record for qualifiers this season. And yes, ZERO scholarship athletes

How many scholarships does Boise St have?

Think they would follow what their football team does - heavily recruit in California.

With so few DI programs in the northwest & the west overall, would think they'd have better recruiting success. 

Do they have a lot of recruits that quit the team, that is a theme at a few other schools in the west.

Glen Lanham is not doing a good job at Duke?  Dude, you are nuts!