Sign in to follow this  
OhioSpladle

Whos the more likely 4x champ?

it is actually pretty unlikely that either will be 4 a timer. If I had to choose which has a better chance,I'd say Dake, mainly because he's a more talented wrestler.

I agree. I don't think either will be a 4 timer because that is so difficult to do but I would go with Dake as well if one were to do it. The reason being, McD will be at 125/133 for the rest of his career most likely and those 2 weights are usually pretty stacked at the top and more than likely he will take a couple losses as a result. Dake will have a tough time winning at 149 this year since Caldwell will be back so I don't see either winning 4 titles but I see them both being multi-time champs.

it is actually pretty unlikely that either will be 4 a timer. If I had to choose which has a better chance,I'd say Dake, mainly because he's a more talented wrestler.

I agree. I don't think either will be a 4 timer because that is so difficult to do but I would go with Dake as well if one were to do it. The reason being, McD will be at 125/133 for the rest of his career most likely and those 2 weights are usually pretty stacked at the top and more than likely he will take a couple losses as a result. Dake will have a tough time winning at 149 this year since Caldwell will be back so I don't see either winning 4 titles but I see them both being multi-time champs.

I think Kyle has what it Dakes to beat Caldwell.

;-) ....sorry couldn't resist

I really think Dake matches up well with Caldwell

Dake might have more talent, but McD just "finds a way" to win.....that will take him a long way, as will training with Terry Brands.....will he ever face anyone tougher on the mat than in the room?

Well, considering everyone and his brother has a HS senior already a NCAA Finalist in Steiber...I would have to say the McD is in a "less" competitive weight class than 149/157. So, naturally he would get the nod -as to this post.

I would hope Kyle -reads this and wants to prove me differently ; )

pre-predictions before College/ I had Dake a 2X NCAA Champ and a 3X Finalist- I'll stick to this.

I see/hope Dake and Caldwell get on opposite sides of the bracket at the NCAAs, i think that will be a good indication if Dake could get it done 4 times. If he can get to the finals by continueing to be a stingy wrestler i think he has a great shot at it. Caldwell is solid but I dont know if he is or needs to be the #1 guy @ 149 next year. Injuries and time off will kill him. Coach Carter's biggest task needs to be to keep Darion Hungry. Hes won his title and respect from the wrestling world already, he wont ever be forgotten for that. It would be awesome to see a 2timer from the ACC though.

McD can do it 4 times. Hes in the perfect place to do it. Hes got to wrestle when the lights are shinning and get a GREAT draw in Philidelphia. Long did him a huge favor taking out Angel. McD can be in the right place at the right time.

I think McD's style provides less of a chance of being upset. He's not risky and he's danged good.

Not saying that Dake isn't danged good himself...just has a riskier style that a defensive wrestler will have an easier time shutting down.

Just my opinion.

First they need to win a 2nd title and IMHO Mcdonough has the best chance to do that he won his first title with two NCAA champs at his weight while Dake won a weight that was not near as deep. With Dake moving up a weight he will have the tougher time repeating. Both are offensive wrestlers and fun to watch it will be a fun year to watch them progress.

I'll say neither will win 4x....way too soon, and too many unknowns.... therefore can't pick one over the other. Both top notch wrestlers.

As far as Caldwell v Dake, I would wait to see how Caldwell's shoulder heals, since he's already pulled out of an event due to reinjuring it. Unfortunately, significant shoulder injuries can lead to recurring problems.

The odds go to whomever can keep from growing. He who stays small, wins them all.

That's a nice little jingle, but what makes you believe it's true? I'd say there are just as many example of guys experiencing equal or greater success after moving up a weight as those that struggle with the change. Dake looked pretty big at 141 last year, but was obviously not physically developed as far as muscularity goes. So are you saying he just doesn't have the build to ever move up a weight and still be at the top?

Metcalf is the first to win a 2nd title at 149. No one has won back to back. Someone has to do it first, but history says that it is hardest to get back on top at. And there have been some amazing wrestlers win this weight.

It's way too early to even consider either one of these guys being a 4x champ. Dustin Schlatter is a perfect example of what can happen to a wrestler after a tremendous Freshmen run with upsets and injuries. A lot of people had Schlatter never losing another match in college after he beat Eustice in 06. McDonough and Dake are total studs but I don't see either one of them standing at the top of the podium 4 years in a row.

Dake will almost always be at the tougher weight. There aren't many 125-133lbs guys walking around. Those lighter weights have far fewer in the general population to pull from.

Neither will win four, but if I had to choose one I'd say McDonough, as his competition will be weaker.

As some have said, they already predict a HS kid as the second best at the weight. What does that say about returning talent?

I realize there are plenty who love to hype certain kids year after year (which leads to unfair expectations). I guess the bottom line is, there are far more people in the general population that are Dake's size, than McD's size. This leads to more potential athletes, better competition.

I'll give McD a 0.4% chance to win 4 titles and Dake a 0.38% chance...so McD it is:)

Smokey joe it is insane to pick a guy who has never wrestled a college match to be a 4-timer. Sorry but it is.

I agree with that...

trying to annoint anyone as the next "golden child" of wrestling never seems to work well for that person.

but like you said who is more likely...

I'll pick McBono. No real reason. I just like him.

take it 1yr at a time. mcdonough will have the best shot to repeat next season. if long jumps to 133 as speculated, mcdonough will be a heavy fav to win. dake won't even be the fav to win 149 w/caldwell coming back.