Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

General Seed discussion

Vak,

I like and respect your posts. Just curious why you feel Storely over Eblen is so far off base? Not saying your wrong just curious?

No probem. Storley wrestled the whole year at 174, Eblen didn't. Storley has better wins (Storley's best win is over Epperly, the 7 seed; Eblen's best win is over Wilps, the 8 seed). Storley has better losses, since Eblen's loss this weekend is the worst loss either of them have (Storley's worst loss is to Butler, the 5 seed. Eblen's worst loss is to Walters, the 9 seed). It's really cut and dry to me. It was staggering to see Eblen at the 4 seed.

I think the clear message from the committee is that you can't expect to sit out a majority of the season and expect to be rewarded for results from prior years.

Delgado, Schopp, H. Stieber, J. Kindig, and (to a lesser degree) Brewer got dinged.

Actually, the great wrestlers that draw them in early rounds are at a distinct disadvantage to other top seeds.

Thanks for the thought on that Vak. I actually thought he would land about 6 or 7. As for his loss to the Walters kid. He is tougher than what I think people realized. He looked very good at the MAC. He is pretty active and his defense is tough. Like I mentioned in the early post. I think he lands on the podium. He isn't flashy, his skill is just very balanced all the way around.

I can think of somebody in Nebraska who has 0 complaints about this.

Except with Walters (at 30-1) with the #9 seed,  Kokesh will have Massa (Wonder if he can beat the 15 second pin from the B1G)  then Walters/Wilps and Eblen/Butler in the Semis.  

Like seeing Storley on the other side.  Didn't Storley lose to Butler in Vegas?

Actually, if missing a lot of the season is the reason for the seeds I think it is a good move by the seeding committee. Yes the high seeds may be at a disadvantage somewhat if they are healthy but so are the guys with the no seeds. They don't want the top seeds any more than the top seeds want them. This could help with the current situation of holding people out.

Another thing. I haven't looked closely at it yet bit from a quick glance it seems the guys missing the matches from injury are the upper level wrestlers from the top teams. Does this seem to be more of a pattern with the top teams? Iran you look at the guys in the discussion and the teams. Coincidence or pattern? I'm not saying one way or the other it was just a thought.

I think the clear message from the committee is that you can't sit out a majority of the season and expect to be rewarded for results from prior years.

Delgado, Schopp, H. Stieber, J. Kindig, and (to a lesser degree) Brewer got dinged.

I guess but a two time defending national champion not seeded..... that seems to be taking the "sit out" dogma a bit far don't you think?

Actually, if missing a lot of the season is the reason for the seeds I think it is a good move by the seeding committee. Yes the high seeds may be at a disadvantage somewhat if they are healthy but so are the guys with the no seeds. They don't want the top seeds any more than the top seeds want them. This could help with the current situation of holding people out.

I actually don't mind this either, Kindig is the toughie here.  He clearly deserved to be seeded based on his body of work, yet didn't wrestle at conference.  I think this is blowback to the Schlatter his senior year.  The key is consistency, keep doing the same thing each year and even if you disagree at least people will know where they stand. 

That may be easier said than done though as SHP mentioned 50% of the seeding committee changes after this year. 

I guess but a two time defending national champion not seeded..... that seems to be taking the "sit out" dogma a bit far don't you think?

Seeding committee is instructed to disregard past credentials. I agree they seemed to have punished people with small sample sizes a bit too much for my taste, but being a two time champion is irrelevant as far as that goes.

Another thing. I haven't looked closely at it yet bit from a quick glance it seems the guys missing the matches from injury are the upper level wrestlers from the top teams. Does this seem to be more of a pattern with the top teams? Iran you look at the guys in the discussion and the teams. Coincidence or pattern? I'm not saying one way or the other it was just a thought.

I agree in theory, but not seeding a two time defending national champion (who won in strong weight classes) is taking it to an absurd level, and destroying what they are attempting to accomplish. I think they jumped the shark before they gave their (good intentions) a chance to play out.