Sign in to follow this  
lu_alum

General Seed discussion

Why is Iowa the favorite? Minny and Ohio State were the favorites correct?

I don't know.  The link I provided was from Intermat.  Perhaps you should ask them why they have Iowa projected to win.  Do you think another team (or teams) should be favored over the Hawkeyes?

As to whether or not, Penn State finishing 7th would be a disappointment, I think it would be, albeit a minor one.  Now, if they were projected to win it all but failed, that'd be a real disappointment. JMHO though.  

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

The forfeit for Delgado in the 3rd place match at Big Tens really hurt him.  I don't think he has a single win over a seeded wrestler this year, so you really can't seed him if you throw out last years results.  He beats Conaway for 3rd, he would have got that seed...

I still say any seeding system that excludes a two time defending champion is absurd. If he gets form between now and then he is the ultimate bracket buster. Common sense should at least have some say so.

The forfeit for Delgado in the 3rd place match at Big Tens really hurt him.  I don't think he has a single win over a seeded wrestler this year, so you really can't seed him if you throw out last years results.  He beats Conaway for 3rd, he would have got that seed...

I think Delgado got a great spot, probably better than if seeded.  No one wants to wrestle Delgado first thing after weigh-ins, if he wins he basically takes over the #8 seed spot.  Better match ups for him on Waters side, that was his first tough match against Waters in the Ntl duals, he opened up and wrestled better at Big10s, I'm sure Waters hopes he doesn't make it to the qrts another first match following weigh-ins, correct?

Not enough matches. That seems to be the theme for high end wrestlers ending up with poor seeds.

Is there a rule for that or a rule for no common sense. I wonder how many on seeding committee had evan knew of half of these wrestlers or have ever wrestled themselves?

Is there a rule for that or a rule for no common sense. I wonder how many on seeding committee had evan knew of half of these wrestlers or have ever wrestled themselves?

Guys have an entire season to build a resume - if they don't bother, then they risk getting a bum seed.  I've got no problem with basing the seeding on this year's results, rather than what fans "believe".  Ya wanna base seeding on "belief" - put Peter Pan on the committee.  :-P

Guys have an entire season to build a resume - if they don't bother, then they risk getting a bum seed.  I've got no problem with basing the seeding on this year's results, rather than what fans "believe".  Ya wanna base seeding on "belief" - put Peter Pan on the committee.  :-P

ok, explain Waters 9, Eblen 4

t wilps missed the early part of the season and got hurt by it. it doesn't make sense to penalize guys that started late in the season, but won their conference over 2 guys seeded ahead of him.

Realbuto only 22 matches, two of them being losses, 2 seed. Didn't penalize him. Smith and Knoll who learned to sell cars from Spates might have been on committee

the difference with Realbuto is that he wrestled the entire second semester. most of the others who had partial season skipped out on the majority of their January/February schedules.

Not really. Vak just said that in case the Hawks slip up and Mizzou wins. Iowa is still the favorite, although it should be a close race.

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/Team

Passive aggressiveness at its finest. Those scores are a projection based on their rankings, not the actual seeds. Those ranking were updated yesterday, obviously before the brackets were released. For instance, they are giving Lavion Mayes 5th place points instead of his 3rd seed points. Keep trying though.

ok, explain Waters 9, Eblen 4

Walters is hurt by a relatively weak schedule; Eblen has more quality wins, and his losses were to very highly ranked guys (e.g. Kokesh, Snyder, Evans)

Look, I'm not saying I can't see it going the other way, but once you understand the metrics being used, it does make sense. (Personally, I would give more weight to conference finals, but it is clear that the formula used gives equal weight to the entire season results).  And the seeding DOES have to be based on metrics, not on "belief" or "common sense" because you can argue that any way you want.

Besides, I like Walters at #9 - I think that's a good matchup for my man Duke Pickett!

Peters (UNI) at 125 with a #9 seed?  Has two losses to Waters (#1 seed), two to Dance (#3 seed) and one to Garrett (#2 seed). I'd probably put him behind Tomasello (#4 seed) even though Peters pinned him and Gilman (#6 seed) as well.  But behind Boyle (#5 seed and Intermat #8), Kilmara (#7 seed and Intermat #9), and Cox (#8 seed and Intermat #13)?  Peters is Intermat #6.

How does Tsirtsis get seeded 5th last year and 2nd this year after winning the big ten both years?  If Houdashelt was unbeaten I would understand but just don't get this.  Tsirtsis beat the 3 seed and 4 seed.  Houdashelt lost to someone that is not even seeded.  Makes no sense.

At 141 Ashnault is the 7 seed and Abidin is the 9 seed. Abidin has beaten him twice. Its almost like the seeding committee got the 2 Anthony's mixed up.

Looking at the records of the #7-9 guys, Ashnault, Martinez, Abidin.

Abidin beat Ashnault twice, including at the B1Gs and placed higher.

Ashnault beat Martinez, 10-8.

Abidin & Martinez split matches.  Early in the season Abidin won 12-4.  Martinez won the 2nd match, 10-2.

Abidin lost twice to Dziewa.  Ashnault is 1-0 vs Dziewa.

Abidin beat Rodrigues thrice.  Ashnault is 0-1 vs Rodrigues.

Martinez beat Speno.  Abidin lost to Speno.

Yeah, doesn't make much sense.

By their criteria, Abidin should be #7.  It is as if they didn't want to put Abidin ahead of Martinez and they didn't want to Martinez ahead of Ashnault.  So they completely disregarded Abidin vs Ashnault.