Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Qualification Criteria

How about we do away with all this conference is your qualifier malarkey and set up actual qualifiers like is done in HS?  Maybe four of them with the top eight going to nationals and one at large.   Wrestle through for a true eighth.  Seems unfair that some guys can have a horrible season, but win two matches at Big Tens and get in with an eighth place.  That dude is riding someone else's coattails and that someone else also gets in. And he lost on the mat.

Others qualify after injury or not even placing top 8 or 9.

Edited by Plasmodium

Novel idea, but don't like it.  Then you get into the argument that occurs in PA with respect to HS regions qualifying for states.  As an example, at AAA 132 this year (20 man bracket), the SW region (4 qualifiers) placed 1, 2, 5, and 7.  The SE region qualified 5 guys and none placed in the top 8.

If you give the same number of qualifiers (8) to each of the four regions for NCAA Division I, how do you deal with the unbalanced strength of the regions?  Keep in mind, you are looking at about 18-19 schools per region.  They would possibly look like what is listed below.  Are you suggesting that the Midwest would get 8 bids... just like the West and South?  I don't think so!

New England/Mid-Atlantic

1. Binghamton
  2. Bloomsburg
  3. Brown
  4. Bucknell
  5. Clarion
  6. Columbia
  7. Cornell
  8. Edinboro
  9. Franklin & Marshall
  10. Harvard
  11. Hofstra
  12. Lehigh
  13. Lock Haven
  14. Penn
  15. Princeton
  16. Rider
  17. Rutgers
  18. Sacred Heart
  19. US Military Academy
  20. Univ at Buffalo

Midwest:

1. Central Michigan
  2. Cleveland State
  3. Eastern Michigan
  4. Illinois
  5. Indiana
  6. Iowa
  7. Kent State
  8. Michigan
  9. Michigan State
  10. Minnesota
  11. Missouri
  12. Northern Illinois
  13. Northwestern
  14. Ohio State
  15. Ohio
  16. Penn State
  17. Purdue
  18. Southern Illinois Edwardsville
  19. Wisconsin

South

1. American
  2. Appalachian State
  3. The Citadel
  4. Davidson
  5. Drexel
  6. Duke
  7. Gardner Webb
  8. George Mason
  9. Maryland
  10. North Carolina
  11. North Carolina State
  12. Old Dominion
  13. Pittsburgh
  14. Tennessee-Chattanooga
  15. US Naval Academy
  16. Virginia
  17. Virginia Military
  18. Virginia Tech
  19. West Virginia
  20. Campbell

West:

1. Arizona State
  2. Boise State
  3. Cal Poly
  4. Cal State Bakersfield
  5. Grand Canyon
  6. Iowa State
  7. Nebraska
  8. North Dakota State
  9. Northern Colorado
  10. Northern Iowa
  11. Oklahoma
  12. Oklahoma State
  13. Oregon State
  14. South Dakota State
  15. Stanford
  16. US Air Force Academy
  17. Utah Valley
  18. Wyoming
Edited by lu_alum

I know what your trying to point out but how did you get PSU, Pitt and all the other PA colleges in different regions??      I guess by conferences but if you do that it will be skewed as today's conference are all over the place!

I ended my first pass with 22 schools in the region. Using PA as a border state, I moved some to other regions based on current or prior conference alignments. Pitt = ACC. PSU = B1G. Drexel is former Colonial. F&M is in south central PA and could, quite frankly, benefit from going through a soft region.

Edited by lu_alum

Obviously, Michigan State, Virginia, and West Virginia are going to object to these regional alignments.

Did it quickly just before leaving work. I'll update to make them happy.

OK.  They've been added.  Michigan State to the Midwest, and UVA & WVU to the South.  Moved F&M back the East.  

Anyone want to suggest a double-shift to move a Midwest team to the West (Mizzou?), and then backfill the departing Midwest team with one from the East of South?

Actually, this year's number are somewhat balanced, with UB and Campbell being ineligible.  That would the East, South, and Midwest each 19 teams, the West would have 18. (without having to do the double-shift)

Edited by lu_alum

Let the coaches pick em like back in the day, send in the names to the seeding committee after conferences. Then get Bill Gates or some billionaire like one of the Du Ponts (for their penance) to pick up the tab and let the NCAA off the hook. 4 days and four nights, 8 mats, cold beer.