Sign in to follow this  
emk1

States with most qualifiers

If you took California's state wrestling champions and had a dual vs Pennsylvania's state champions.

California would smash the sh** out of them, and then you would shut your mouth's.

Boom!!

For giggles, let's compare them (PA first, rankings from Flo):

106:  #3 Gavin Teasdale vs. #1 Cade Olivas

113:  #8 Devin Brown vs. #2 Justin Mejia

120-Spencer Lee.

126:  #12 Luke Karam vs. Anthony Hernandez

132:  #2 AC Headlee vs. #20 Julian Flores

138:  #1 Sam Krivus vs. #14 Wyatt Wyckoff

145:  #1 Mike Kemerer vs. #16 Ralphy Tovar

152:  #2 Cenzo Joseph vs. Zack Velasquez

160:  #2 Josh Shields vs. #10 Colt Doyle

170:  #13 Te'Shan Campbell vs. #2 Anthony Valencia

182:  #11 Kellan Stout vs. #1 Zahid Valencia

195:  #5 Jan Johnson vs. #19 Austin Flores

220:  #1 Jordan Wood vs. #19 Seth Nevills

285:  #3 Andrew Dunn vs. Hexton Coronado

Can make a pretty good case for CA winning 4 weights (106, 113, 170, 182).  After that ...

PA at 4 weights (120, 126, 152, 285) could outscore the entire CA team.

If you took California's state wrestling champions and had a dual vs Pennsylvania's state champions.

California would smash the sh** out of them, and then you would shut your mouth's.

Boom!!

You funny. Outside of the Valenica's and Cade Olivas, which California state champs are going to "smash" the 4 # 1 ranked kids in the country and 3 # 2 ranked kids from Pa.

Since a discussion needs accurate data.

Pennsylvania has 12.7M population. It is usually called the state with the second highest per capita over 65, and may well be the lowest per capita school age.

Philadelphia city and county is 1.5 M. Pittsburgh city is 305,000, although Allegheny county is 1.2M

Pitt has 6 public schools with sports, all with Wrestling (and Fball). If there are any charter schools in the city, they don't have sports. The 6 city Public schools are their own district. All the other schools (except for a couple independent prep schools) in Southwestern Pa are in District 7, the WPIAL. There are about 135 Schools in WPIAL (boys basketball count) Only 85 have wrestling- 122 have Football. (Pittsburgh Central Catholic has a decent wrestling program is in the City, but is in the WPIAL.

In Philly (District 12) there about 80 Schools(M-BB-Count), maybe 20 of them in the Philly Catholic league (half of them are actually in the suburbs)

43 football schools - 29 wrestling but actually 3-5 did not field a team this year.

In Pa's other 9 districts the Per Cent of Wrestling to Football Schools is ~80 to 110%.

Officially 577 football schools and 493 Wrestling schools. I am guessing about one half of the football school without wrestling (outside WPIAL) are Catholic. The only medium or large school with sports, but neither football nor wrestling is Lancaster Mennonite. (But the half dozen Quaker school, all national prep types, not otherwise in this discussion halve wrestling)

Two Counties with no wrestling (I think) Forest, 2 schools for pop 6,000 and Fulton 3 schools, 14,000.

There are a lot of tiny schools both public and private lacking both wrestling and football

I Gather Oklahoma with almost 4M people has only about 100 wrestling schools out of 250-300.

I would think Ohio, with few real mountains, would not have the same percentage of tiny schools as PA.

Are there any wrestling non-existent areas in Oh, Ia, OK?

anyone have stats on # of gold medals per state?

I have a vague memory of year in the 80's when the two USA world (or Olympic) teams had 5 of 20 guys from South Dakota? The Scherr twins, Gary Albright, Randy Lewis, xxxx? ??

Yes, Iowa has a great wrestling culture. I just looked at the data. They are second in the percentage of the state's total population that is currently participating in high school wrestling.

These are the top 10 states for highest percentage of their population as current high school wrestlers.

State Percent of Population - HS Wrestlers

Nebraska 0.240

Iowa 0.218

Wyoming 0.186

Alaska 0.183

Kansas 0.177

South Dakota 0.157

Minnesota 0.151

Idaho 0.144

Montana 0.140

North Dakota 0.133

I remember, last year, calculating that 1 of every 461 persons in Iowa is a high school wrestler. That's very close to the 0.218 number above. To dramatize the influence on wrestling "culture", I'd love to see the number of FORMER high school wrestlers as a percent of the total over-age-18 population in Iowa. Wouldn't be easy to extrapolate but should be revealing. Those are potential fans and coaches (and parents of.....).

I have a vague memory of year in the 80's when the two USA world (or Olympic) teams had 5 of 20 guys from South Dakota? The Scherr twins, Gary Albright, Randy Lewis, xxxx? ??

It would of been the Scheer brothers, Koslowski brothers and Lewboo. Gary Albright wasn't from South Dakota.

Since a discussion needs accurate data.

Pennsylvania has 12.7M population. It is usually called the state with the second highest per capita over 65, and may well be the lowest per capita school age.

Philadelphia city and county is 1.5 M. Pittsburgh city is 305,000, although Allegheny county is 1.2M

Pitt has 6 public schools with sports, all with Wrestling (and Fball). If there are any charter schools in the city, they don't have sports. The 6 city Public schools are their own district. All the other schools (except for a couple independent prep schools) in Southwestern Pa are in District 7, the WPIAL. There are about 135 Schools in WPIAL (boys basketball count) Only 85 have wrestling- 122 have Football. (Pittsburgh Central Catholic has a decent wrestling program is in the City, but is in the WPIAL.

In Philly (District 12) there about 80 Schools(M-BB-Count), maybe 20 of them in the Philly Catholic league (half of them are actually in the suburbs)

43 football schools - 29 wrestling but actually 3-5 did not field a team this year.

In Pa's other 9 districts the Per Cent of Wrestling to Football Schools is ~80 to 110%.

Officially 577 football schools and 493 Wrestling schools. I am guessing about one half of the football school without wrestling (outside WPIAL) are Catholic. The only medium or large school with sports, but neither football nor wrestling is Lancaster Mennonite. (But the half dozen Quaker school, all national prep types, not otherwise in this discussion halve wrestling)

Two Counties with no wrestling (I think) Forest, 2 schools for pop 6,000 and Fulton 3 schools, 14,000.

There are a lot of tiny schools both public and private lacking both wrestling and football

I Gather Oklahoma with almost 4M people has only about 100 wrestling schools out of 250-300.

I would think Ohio, with few real mountains, would not have the same percentage of tiny schools as PA.

Are there any wrestling non-existent areas in Oh, Ia, OK?

Here is a comparison of the public school students in PA and IA.  The per capita numbers are that PA is about 85% of IA.  When adjusted for that, PA and IA are dead even in per capita qualifiers.  Actually, PA is ever so slightly more --

(48/1,763,677)  / ((16/499,825)*0.85) = 1.00023316928

That being said, PA surely has many more private schools than IA.  Iowa will go back to clearly ahead when those are factored in.

I remember, last year, calculating that 1 of every 461 persons in Iowa is a high school wrestler. That's very close to the 0.218 number above. To dramatize the influence on wrestling "culture", I'd love to see the number of FORMER high school wrestlers as a percent of the total over-age-18 population in Iowa. Wouldn't be easy to extrapolate but should be revealing. Those are potential fans and coaches (and parents of.....).

Back of the napkin math...

1) 6,773 high school wrestlers divided by four grades is about 1,693 kids per grade. So that many kids graduate a year that have wrestled. Figure that is constant for 60 years to make a round number for the 80 year average life expectancy in Iowa and you get about 101,000 people. 101,000 is about 3.25 percent of the 3,107,000 people in Iowa.

2) There are about 500,000 K-12 students in Iowa for about 38,000 a grade. Since most kids attend school and are in their grade based on age each year old should be somewhere around 38,000 people. Of those, 1,693 in each grade will wrestle for about 4.5 percent of all kids being high school wrestlers. There are about 3.1MM people in Iowa. If they are evenly distributed at each age until the average life expectancy of 80 years in Iowa, that gives us about 38,000 people which reconciles with the number per age in school. So if we use the participation rate in school and assume it is constant over the years as the age groups seem constant, the 4.5 percent of the total population would be about 140,000 ex wrestlers in Iowa.

Guessing somewhere between four to five people out of every 100 people in Iowa were wrestlers and probably somewhere between six to ten percent were supporters (family, friends, manager, etc) of wrestlers that at least have a loose understand of the sport if they don't know it well.

Let's just do a comparison of the entire state of Iowa vs the WPIAL (district 7).  It is a combination of 9 counties in SW PA with a total population of just under 2.5 million residents.  The WPIAL does not include the city of Pittsburgh so their population was not counted.

Any one have a list of WPIAL wrestlers at the NCAA tournament (too bad Mega and Nolf are redshirting)?  We won't bother doing a hypothetical HS dual meet right now with all the WPIAL #1 and #2 wrestlers.

Let's just do a comparison of the entire state of Iowa vs the WPIAL (district 7). It is a combination of 9 counties in SW PA with a total population of just under 2.5 million residents. The WPIAL does not include the city of Pittsburgh so their population was not counted.

Any one have a list of WPIAL wrestlers at the NCAA tournament (too bad Mega and Nolf are redshirting)? We won't bother doing a hypothetical HS dual meet right now with all the WPIAL #1 and #2 wrestlers.

Didn't the WPIAL have 18 of the 28 champs in PA this year (9 in both AA/AAA)? Edited by lu_alum

This topic comes up every year, and it's ridiculous.

PA is the best, and it's not even close. make all the ridiculous 'per capita' arguments you want. if it was per capita, chicago, NYC, texas, CA, etc would be more productive.

no disrespect to anyone, but chew on this....

Clovis, CA had more state finalists (6) than bouts won (5) against OPRF.

what's my point?

it's that CALI is not very strong this year.

Edited by Husker_Du

When considering how many participate, I would take into account that there is a possibility that in Iowa with a small population most any athlete has an opportunity to be on their HS wrestling team.  Where as in Pa there may be more competition and thus a higher quality of athlete assuming a position on the HS teams.  I would assume with more contested team member would have a greater ratio of qualifiers per rostered wrestlers.

Just a theory...from a PA guy!

Edited by BDB50

This topic comes up every year, and it's ridiculous.

PA is the best, and it's not even close. make all the ridiculous 'per capita' arguments you want. if it was per capita, chicago, NYC, texas, CA, etc would be more productive.

Every year PA has the most qualifiers, often by ridiculous margins, and immediately people start parsing population data. It is comical.

Here is all anyone needs to know. Wrestling exists in places where the care takers of the sport make it important enough that young boys learned how to wrestle and enjoy the benefits that come with wrestling. Anywhere you have wrestling it is because men made sure to teach their boys how to wrestle. It is that simple. Iowa has places like this, and Iowa has places where wrestling isn't quite as important. Same for PA, NY, NJ, Ohio and any other place. 

Pennsylvania just has more wrestling, because more people here made it a priority for their sons top wrestle. That's it. If Iowa had 3 times as many people who cared about wrestling as PA did, then they'd have 3x more qualifiers than PA. But it is the other way around for one simple easy to understand reason. Pennsylvania is the state that has 3 times as many folks who made wrestling their sporting priority. That is how we got to 48 and Iowa got to 16. Thera er more people here promoting wrestling at the youth level. People can assign all the varied reasons they want for why this is the case, but it doesn't change the simple fact that we have 3 times as many. 

It is the same reason they beg Penn State to be in National duals. They think 3x times as many fans will show up. Why? Because we have 3x as many people involved in wrestling here. 

Edited by TBar1977

i dont think thats the kind of 'per capita' arguments anyone is trying to make. 

i dont even know what kind of argument you can have over it. whats there to argue? its interesting to find out where wrestling is popular. thats all. no one wins and prizes over it. 

AAA had 8 of 14 State Champs from D7. Which is UNBELIEVABLE.

But 4 from the same school. two of which aren't from anywhere near that geographical region. 

All but spencer lee graduates.

not taking anything away from D7. They're awesome. amazing. perhaps the best in the US on an annual basis. but this type of performance is rare. special class.

Edited by Husker_Du

I believe the size of the school districts offering wrestling may have a great influence with the quality and quanity of wrestlers moving on to collegiate action and thus increase the the qualifying numbers.

AAA had 8 of 14 State Champs from D7. Which is UNBELIEVABLE.

But 4 from the same school. two of which aren't from anywhere near that geographical region.

All but spencer lee graduates.

not taking anything away from D7. They're awesome. amazing. perhaps the best in the US on an annual basis. but this type of performance is rare. special class.

I count 9: 13, 20, 32, 38, 45, 52, 60, 70, and 82.

Pennsylvania gets 9,760 of the best wrestlers chosen from 13 million people

Iowa gets their 6,773 chosen from 3 million. Of course Pennsylvania will have more qualifiers

If you look at the all time history of the sport lil' Iowa has more than held its own with qualifiers,All Americans, Champions.

Brands is starting to get it

Mejia- CA

Renteria- IL

Gross- MN

Kemerer- PA

Marinelli- OH

Paddock- NY

Stoll- MN

Edited by LemonPie