Sign in to follow this  
emk1

States with most qualifiers

Again, there are 82 schools in Pa district 12 with Basketball. I assume that any school in Pa with sports has basketball, except for Sugar Valley , the 82 does not include several Private schools part of D1, and other private schools not in Pa, but it does include about 7-10 suburban Catholic Schools. ~16 of the 19 AAAA basketball schools have wrestling, not bad at all. 6 of 25 AAA have wrestling, not good. However, I should point out that Philly public schools were totally reorganized. Hopefully wrestling will continue to expand (unlike the WPIAL, where there seems to be no expansion. The first year of D12 a wrestler from Northeast (public school) placed at states. No one this year but at least 6 wrestlers from 4 Philly public schools scored in NE-Reg AAA.

Sure Philly and Pittsburgh could get better, but for Coach-J to compare them with a big city school district with (as I read him) no varsity wrestling is way out there.

For giggles, let's compare them (PA first, rankings from Flo):

106:  #3 Gavin Teasdale vs. #1 Cade Olivas

113:  #8 Devin Brown vs. #2 Justin Mejia

120-Spencer Lee.

126:  #12 Luke Karam vs. Anthony Hernandez

132:  #2 AC Headlee vs. #20 Julian Flores

138:  #1 Sam Krivus vs. #14 Wyatt Wyckoff

145:  #1 Mike Kemerer vs. #16 Ralphy Tovar

152:  #2 Cenzo Joseph vs. Zack Velasquez

160:  #2 Josh Shields vs. #10 Colt Doyle

170:  #13 Te'Shan Campbell vs. #2 Anthony Valencia

182:  #11 Kellan Stout vs. #1 Zahid Valencia

195:  #5 Jan Johnson vs. #19 Austin Flores

220:  #1 Jordan Wood vs. #19 Seth Nevills

285:  #3 Andrew Dunn vs. Hexton Coronado

Can make a pretty good case for CA winning 4 weights (106, 113, 170, 182).  After that ...

PA at 4 weights (120, 126, 152, 285) could outscore the entire CA team.

It's hilarious the way you intermingled your 2A and 3A state champs vs California.  Why would you do that, if your state is not a single division??????

So now all of a sudden California wants to have a dual, vs either your 3A or 2A state champs, and you want to act as if your state is a a single division???

I guess you all just wish that you could "fight fire, with fire". Theoretically it should be 2 duals (going state system versus state system)......California state champs vs PA 3A state champs....California state champs vs PA 2A state champs.......There's not a state in the country who could dual against us.......BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!!!!!

It's hilarious the way you intermingled your 2A and 3A state champs vs California.  Why would you do that, if your state is not a single division??????

So now all of a sudden California wants to have a dual, vs either your 3A or 2A state champs, and you want to act as if your state is a a single division???

I guess you all just wish that you could "fight fire, with fire". Theoretically it should be 2 duals (going state system versus state system)......California state champs vs PA 3A state champs....California state champs vs PA 2A state champs.......There's not a state in the country who could dual against us.......BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA!!!!!!

13 of the 14 guys Jefe listed are listed are AAA replacing Teasdale with Klunp might generate 1 more point for California

I would not be surprised if Pa AA could beat California this year.

At a guess Pa AAA champs beat Calif 9 years out of 10.

AA, probably over Ca 2-3 out of 10.

The interesting head-to-head is Ca vs NJ (Vs national prep without PGs) vs Ohio AAA (or is AA stronger?)

It would be interesting to rank the 150 or so state championships, who is 2, 3, 150. But who is #1 is not in question

Edited by RichB

You are the one who threw down the proverbial gauntlet by claiming the CA State Champions would beat the PA State Champions all the while not specifying which state champions. And FWIW, we do have the 2A and 3A kids wrestle each other after PIAA's if they so choose. Needless to say, the various ranking services seem to believe the best in PA should be ranked higher than the best in CA except for a few kids here and there.

On an annual basis, in most years and at most weights PA would win. Not all weights every year (Nevills beat Haines last year), just most. 

Trolling or young.

California should start their own version of the Dapper Dan. Rather than worrying about grappling with some of a state's champs, instead challenge the best from across the entire country like PA does.    

If you took California's state wrestling champions and had a dual vs Pennsylvania's state champions.

California would smash the sh** out of them, and then you would shut your mouth's.

Boom!!

Retraction coming?  Seems overdue.  

This is an old and rather boring conversation/argument. Are your lives that pathetic that you have to resort to the "my state champs are better than your state champs" discussion?

Isn't that exactly what the Dapper Dan is?

Again, there are 82 schools in Pa district 12 with Basketball. I assume that any school in Pa with sports has basketball, except for Sugar Valley , the 82 does not include several Private schools part of D1, and other private schools not in Pa, but it does include about 7-10 suburban Catholic Schools. ~16 of the 19 AAAA basketball schools have wrestling, not bad at all. 6 of 25 AAA have wrestling, not good. However, I should point out that Philly public schools were totally reorganized. Hopefully wrestling will continue to expand (unlike the WPIAL, where there seems to be no expansion. The first year of D12 a wrestler from Northeast (public school) placed at states. No one this year but at least 6 wrestlers from 4 Philly public schools scored in NE-Reg AAA.

Sure Philly and Pittsburgh could get better, but for Coach-J to compare them with a big city school district with (as I read him) no varsity wrestling is way out there.

Yes, I'm way out there.  To compare a state where the heartbeat is not in big cities to a state where the heartbeat is not in big cities is out there.  "Detroit" has a powerhouse like Detroit Catholic Central but it's not located in the city (nor are the other Detroit area Catholic schools), just like the 7-10 suburban Catholic schools you mention in Philly.  You are a genius and I am sorry to have offered an observation.  The dead horse is dead but keep beating it.

Yes, I'm way out there.  To compare a state where the heartbeat is not in big cities to a state where the heartbeat is not in big cities is out there.  "Detroit" has a powerhouse like Detroit Catholic Central but it's not located in the city (nor are the other Detroit area Catholic schools), just like the 7-10 suburban Catholic schools you mention in Philly.  You are a genius and I am sorry to have offered an observation.  The dead horse is dead but keep beating it.

careful, the sarcasm police may see this!

68 Philadelphia City Public schools with boys basketball --18 have wrestling, Mostly schools who have AAAA wrestling

There are 9 coed schools in the Philadelphia Catholic League, there are 5 boys only (and 5 girls only). 11 of the coed or boys schools have wrestling. 6 of the 5 are within the city limits. 2 private schools in the city limits are part of D1. There are at least 5 private schools, not part of the PIAA with wrestling teams within the city limits - 30+ total. About one for ever 50,000 population (And of course 2 of the four most prominent universities in the city have wrestling).

OK Coach haw many HS wrestling teams are there in Detroit. 10-20, then we have a valid comparison. But if the number is under 7, you are just wasting my time, Because you were to darn lazy to look at the posted facts.

68 Philadelphia City Public schools with boys basketball --18 have wrestling, Mostly schools who have AAAA wrestling

There are 9 coed schools in the Philadelphia Catholic League, there are 5 boys only (and 5 girls only). 11 of the coed or boys schools have wrestling. 6 of the 5 are within the city limits. 2 private schools in the city limits are part of D1. There are at least 5 private schools, not part of the PIAA with wrestling teams within the city limits - 30+ total. About one for ever 50,000 population (And of course 2 of the four most prominent universities in the city have wrestling).

OK Coach haw many HS wrestling teams are there in Detroit. 10-20, then we have a valid comparison. But if the number is under 7, you are just wasting my time, Because you were to darn lazy to look at the posted facts.

Yes, I were "to" darn lazy.  You win, Bwana.  Inner city Philadelphia is the key to PA wrestling and all wrestling in the Western Hemisphere, and all major universities flock there to raid its schools for their recruits, but only after consulting Rich.  Rich is the God of All Wrestling Knowledge.  I bow in supplication, unworthy to speak in your esteemed presence.

But if you eliminate the metro populations of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where PA gets virtually no production from, that number drops to 5-6 million.  PA city wrestling is extremely weak.

Des Moines is the largest city in Iowa with a metro population of 600,000 people.  What is the HS wrestling like in Des Moines?

I wonder if that situation is more common than we may think. In Minnesota most of our inner city schools have dropped the sport and the ones that haven't are struggling. Youth wrestling is basically dead in Minneapolis and St. Paul however efforts are being made to improve that situation. 

I coached in Orange County in the 90s, and I've coached in NJ (and plenty of PA kids) for well over a decade.

CA has some super wrestlers, as it should based on sheer volume.  That said, I was surprised at the large number of kids wrestling that would never be competitive in PA (or NJ, or NY, or OH).

Most years, PA's best would run over CA's best.  That's just how it is.

NJ's best would be the equal(or superior) of CA's best more often than not.

Isn't that exactly what the Dapper Dan is?

No, the DD is PA saying our State champs are better than everyone else's.  LOL...The undercard is the WPIAL saying our region's best are better than your state champs.

Not sure anyone else brought this up, but really disappointing year for NY huh?  Less then half the qualifiers as last year.  What gives?  Typical ebbs and flows or did a lot of our guys just not show up for conferences?