Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Big 12 champ not allowed in tournament and 2x NCAA Champ not seeded...

What's wrong with our sport?  What is the seeding committee focusing on when it comes to the tournament?  Are they focusing on recent accomplishments in March, like winning the Big 12 Tournament?  Or are they ignoring that and looking earlier in the season?  Obviously, they can't look too far or else they would notice that Jesse Delgado is a 2x champ.  So, are they focusing on November?  That's a pretty important month in our sport.  What about December?  Sorry, I'm just frustrated at the lack of common sense here when it comes to deciding who the best wrestlers are and separating them.  

I've said multiple times there should be 4 conferences of about 20 teams each and the top 8 in each weight go to the big dance. There would be no seeding at the NCAA Championship. A conference champ would match up with an 8th place finisher from a different conference. A 2 would get a 7 and so on........

It would make everything simple with no bias or favoritism. It would be all based on current results.  

I've said multiple times there should be 4 conferences of about 20 teams each and the top 8 in each weight go to the big dance. There would be no seeding at the NCAA Championship. A conference champ would match up with an 8th place finisher from a different conference. A 2 would get a 7 and so on........

It would make everything simple with no bias or favoritism. It would be all based on current results.

Do you (or did you used to) work for the PIAA?

I've said multiple times there should be 4 conferences of about 20 teams each and the top 8 in each weight go to the big dance. There would be no seeding at the NCAA Championship. A conference champ would match up with an 8th place finisher from a different conference. A 2 would get a 7 and so on........

It would make everything simple with no bias or favoritism. It would be all based on current results.  

Only the champs are seeded.

I have never worked for the PIAA but that process is used in more states than PA.

While it is true that the 4 champs would naturally be placed in the bracket in the 1-4 slots while the 2nd place finishers would be in the 5-8 place holders nobody would be "seeded" but would instead be matched up with a wrestler from a different conference with the opposite placement.

I have never worked for the PIAA but that process is used in more states than PA.

While it is true that the 4 champs would naturally be placed in the bracket in the 1-4 slots while the 2nd place finishers would be in the 5-8 place holders nobody would be "seeded" but would instead be matched up with a wrestler from a different conference with the opposite placement.

Random placement of the champs?

Trust me. it wasn't a compliment toward your suggestion.  Guaranteeing 8 places per region, and only seeding the four regional champs is flawed on so many levels.  

Pinnum that won't make a bit of difference. programs that get dropped are lost for completely different reasons and I assure you conference representation is never in the mix. In fact I would bet a certain body part that it's not even in the top 100 reasons a program would get cut. Not only that as there would only be 4 conferences each conference would have equal representation of 8 wrestlers each.

Plasmodium, not exactly random as they would get the 1-4 slots and the runners up would be on the opposite side in the 5-8 slots. Exactly how PA and OH handle their state tournament seeding. It works for them and there is no bias. You could have the caveat regarding two champs from last year being on opposite side of the bracket if they were also both conference champs.  

Pinnum that won't make a bit of difference. programs that get dropped are lost for completely different reasons and I assure you conference representation is never in the mix. In fact I would bet a certain body part that it's not even in the top 100 reasons a program would get cut. Not only that as there would only be 4 conferences each conference would have equal representation of 8 wrestlers each.

You don't think the increased probability of a team not qualifying for nationals wouldn't be a reason? I thought the whole reason people were big fans of the NCAAs as it currently stands was the fact that small schools were able to be represented. If a regional qualifier is used, you don't have Davidson qualifying two wrestlers the NCAAs last year (their best performance in 50 years) and you don't have SIU-Edwardsville qualifying two wrestlers this year.

A failure to be represented at the NCAAs will hurt recruitment and competitiveness as well as exposure. There is no doubt in my mind it will be detrimental to D1 wrestling.

The number 1 reason in almost every case is money and number 2 is Title IX.

NCAA championship representation is a non-factor.

Money raised and a school's willingness to prioritize a sport is not tied to success?

The fact that Moreno and Kindig were both injured makes his conference championship much less apealing.  His body of work during the season just was not there.  Moreno and Kindig probably belong in the tournament if they are not too injured.  It was a shame to watch Dustin Schlatter walk out on the mat and forfeit a few years ago.  Moreno finished his match with Tucker, but gave up third period points, but Kindig defaulted after one second and later defaulted to Moreno.

A school's success in an sport is not often tied to it's existence at the university. This is true of almost all sports.

Again success of a program is at or near the bottom of the list when a school is making the decision to drop a program. It's always $ and Title IX.