Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Vak's NCAA Predictions --- All Weights Posted

I'm going to do this a little differently than I have in past years. I'll list each AA and give an idea of how I see his path going. An * will be used to denote the non-finalists who were in the semifinals. At the end I'll list the Round of 12 guys I have losing, even though it will also be in the body of the posts. I'll add a ** a t the end of each post for team race implications for anybody that wasn't an AA.

125 lbs.

1. Joey Dance, Virginia Tech

Joey is the 3 seed coming in.His first match over Dom Forys seems pretty clear cut. In his second round match, I have him beating a tough Josh Martinez who has just upset Josh Rodriguez in Round 1. I think Dance is comfortably into the quarters where he'll run into Thomas Gilman. I think he squeaks by Gilman after countering for a TD and Gilman unable to get his own TD. In the semi, I have him reversing the earlier result against Nahshon to make the Finals, where I have him defeating Alan Waters of Mizzou.

2. Alan Waters, Missouri

I have Waters navigating the tough...waters of his draw. Jeske in Round 1 is actually a tough cookie despite the record, and then Youtsey is also tough. That said, I foresee Waters with no issues until the quarters where he'll meet defending NCAA champion Jesse Delgado. Delgado looked a little better than I expected at B1Gs, and I expect him to be a little better at NCAAs, but not enough to reverse the earlier result against Waters. That said, if Waters is gong to lose before the Finals, I think it's here, right after the weigh in. I then have Waters getting by Nathan Tomasello in the semifinals before losing to Joey Dance.

3. Nahshon Garrett, Cornell *

Garrett's draw is deceptively tough also, but I have him comfortably beating Tim Lambert and Zeke Moisey in the first two rounds. After that I have him surviving a tough quarter against "Pablo" Klimara before losing to Dance in the semis. When he drops to the wrestlebacks, I have him finally beating Jesse Delgado in the consolation semifinals and then Thomas Gilman in the consolation Finals to get 3rd place.

4. Thomas Gilman, Iowa

Gilman caught a tough spot in the bracket. He could very conceivably make the finals. That said, after a relatively comfortable Round 1, he hits his first landmine in Jordan Conaway in Round 2. Gilman is better and should win, but the matches have been razor thin. If Gilman is upset here he'll probably have to beat Jesse Delgado in the Round of 12 to make AA. I have him winning, though, and then going to the quarters where he loses to Dance. I then have Gilman dropping down and running off wins against Dylan Peters in the Round of 12, Pablo and Nate Tomasello in the consolations before losing in the 3rd place match to Nahshon Garrett.

5. Jesse Delgado, Illinois

I have Delgado overcoming adversity to get the AA finish that seems more likely, to me, after B1Gs. I have him upsetting two straight seed, Tyler Cox and Dylan Peters to make the quarters, where I have him losing again to Alan Waters. I then have him dropping down to face Jordan Conaway in the Round of 12. I have Jesse winning there, then beating Tyler Cox again before losing the last match of the rivalry against Nahshon Garrett. I then have Delgado reversing the result against Tomasello from the B1G semifinals in the 5th place match.

6. Nathan Tomasello, Ohio State *

I have Tomasello with a relatively smooth run into the semifinals. His first and second round match ups are comfortable wins (DeAngelo and Lizak), and then he gets the relatively weak 5 seed in Boyle (who he should beat) or Kory Mines of Edinboro (whom he has traditionally treated as a practice dummy) in the quarters. I don't see him overcoming Waters who will be on full feed on Friday night, and so bigger and less likely to gas. After that, I have him dropping down and losing to Gilman in the consolation semifinals and Delgado in the 5th place match

7. Eddie Klimara, Oklahoma State

I have really given some crap to the kid with the Pablo nickname bestowed by hammerlockthree, but I have him getting on the stand this year. I have Klimara comfortably into the quarters on the back of solid wins over Trey Andrews of Northern Colorado and Ronnie Rios of Oregon State. I have him losing to Nahshon in the quarters and dropping down into the round of 12. There I have him beating Josh Rodriguez and losing to Gilman in the next round. In the 7th place match, I have him beating Tyler Cox.

8. Tyler Cox, Wyoming

Cox is going to really give it to the backside here. My bracket has him losing in Round 1 to defending champion Jesse Delgado, then running roughshod over the wrestlebacks to make the stand. I have him beating David Terao of American, Ronnie Rios of Oregon State, Brandon Jeske of Old Dominion, and Sean Boyle, the 5 seed, in the Round of 12. There I have him losing to Jesse Delgado again and then losing to Klimara in the 7th place match.

Predictions:
1. Joey Dance, Virginia Tech
2. Alan Waters, Missouri
3. Nahshon Garrett, Cornell *
4. Thomas Gilman, Iowa
5. Jesse Delgado, Illinois
6. Nathan Tomasello, Ohio State *
7. Eddie Klimara, Oklahoma State
8. Tyler Cox, Wyoming

Round of 12: Sean Boyle, Chattanooga; Jordan Conaway, Penn State; Josh Rodriguez, North Dakota State; Dylan Peters, Northern Iowa

**Team Race Implications: I have Lizak winning one champinship match and that's it.

Edited by VakAttack

I like this prediction!  That would be quite a tournament for Dance - hope he does it.  All of those matches make me nervous though.  He has 3 close wins over Rodriguez, owns a squeaker over Gilman (and a loss to Conaway if Conaway manages to upset Gilman), several losses to Garrett and a loss to Waters. 

He has been wrestling better later in the season so we'll see.

Love the predictions...

Quick sidenote, although Dance has beaten Forys twice (including by fall), I believe Forys was beating him at ACCs.

While I think Forys will be hardpressed to pull the upset, I do think it might be tougher sledding than the result of last match indicates.

...Or Dance turns it on and beats him by 12 :). Worth mentioning, though.

I hope you are right about Wyoming's Tyler Cox.  He's one of my favorite wrestlers to watch.   I like to call him the "Energizer Bunny" because he keeps going and going and going.   Consistently trying to score and has a gas tank like no other.   He wins a lot of matches on attrition alone and has come back more than once in the third period to win matches where he was behind.

I was very disappointed to see him draw Delgado in the first round and like you, I see him losing that match.   He'll give Delgado all he can handle, but I just don't see the upset happening.  I then have Cox making it to the R12 where I think he'll most likely face the loser of Boyle and Tomasello, again a very difficult match. 

Love to see Cox become a two time AA, but there is no easy way of getting on the award stand. 

133 lbs.

1. Chris Dardanes, Minnesota

Vindication for Chris after a bummer of a tournament last year.  I have Chris cruising through the first two rounds with wins over Mackenzie McGuire and Connor Schram, not in that order, before he sees an old foe.  In the quarters, I have him meeting the bane of prior seasons, AJ Schopp.  Schopp appears to be injured and not quite himself.  I see Chris winning, but being overly cautious in doing so given their past meetings.  After that I see him narrowly escaping the DiJulius Death Grip in the semifinals leading up to a pivotal team race match in the Finals with Iowa’s Cory Clark.  I see Dardanes physical strength  carrying the day and him winning a close match, although he may struggle on bottom again.

2. Cory Clark, Iowa

I have many complaints with the seedings handed out, and definitely with some of the draws Iowa is facing, but this is not one of them.  Clark got an AMAZING draw, there’s no other way to put it.  The way is lined with dangerous wrestlers, but the important thing is that they are dangerous wrestlers that Clark has wrestled and beaten before.  I have Clark winning comfortably against Ronald Perry and Rossi Bruno of Brandon High School fame to make the quarters.  In the quarters, I have him facing an old foe, the eternally dangerous Earl Hall.  I have Clark avoiding the pitfalls of wrestling Hall and making the semis where he will wrestle a guy I thought was named Ryan but is apparently now named Bradley Taylor.  The two split last year at 125, and both are wrestling REALLY well.  I have Clark slipping past based on his riding ability and making the Finals where he is again unable to penetrate the defense of Dardanes from neutral and Dardanes strength wins out in OT.

3. Bradley Taylor, Wisconsin *

Monsieur Taylor has been absolutely en fuego in the second half of the season, peaking with what can only be described as legal assault of Zane Richards.  He hasn’t been QUITE as dominant since then, but it would be exceedingly difficult to do so.  I have him sailing smooth seas into the quarters with wins over Mitch Finesilver of Duke and the enigmatic Nick Soto.  In the quarters I have him facing Mason Beckman of Lehigh.  I think that is a TERRIBLE matchup for Beckman, so Taylor should have a nice road into the semifinals, where he will lose to Cory Clark.  In the consolations, I have him beating Penn State’s Jimmy Gulibon and the extremely dangerous Earl Hall to take 3rd.

4.  Earl Hall, Iowa State

Among the more fun wrestlers to watch in all of college wrestling, Earl Hall is going big in this tournament to my eye.  I have him beating Eric Montoya of Nebraska easily in Round 1 and then beating Danny Sabatello of Purdue in Round 2 to slide into the quarterfinals.  Once there, I have him losing to Cory Clark and dropping into the Round of 12.  In the Round of 12, I have Hall beating out Geoffrey Alexander from Maryland to cement his AA status.  After that, I have him running off wins against Mason Beckman and Johnny DiJulius to make the consolation finals where he loses to Brad-Ryan Taylor.

5. Jimmy Gulibon, Penn State

Gulibon made a fantastic leap forward this year, and appears to have put on the requisite muscle to be a top guy at the weight.  That said, he got a tough draw here.  Delvecchio is no slouch, though I have Jimmy winning that one before being “upset” by Mason Beckman in Round 2.  I put upset in quotes because the two have met 4,326 times (all numbers approximate) with Beckman winning the lion’s share.  I then have Jimmy making tons of noise in the wrestlebacks.  I have him run off wins against 8 seed Kevin Devoy, 15 see Nick Soto, and 12 seed George DiCamillo in the Round of 12 to make All American.  I then have Jimmy beating AJ Schopp before losing again to Ry-Brad Taylor in the consolation semifinals.  I then have Jimmy finishing the deal and not getting caught in a miraculous lateral drop by Johnny DiJulius to take 5th.

6. Johnny Dijulius, Ohio State *

I’m sure I’ll get some crap from Ohio State fans for having two straight guys make the semifinals and then double dip down to 6th, but that’s how I see it.  DiJulius has a REALLY great draw and a clear ride to the semifinals as long as he wrestles to his ability.  I have him beating pigtail winner Ian Nickell in Round 1.  Then I have him winning over Cody Brewer in what time has shown is a bad match up for Brewer.  I then have JDJ winning over 12 seed George DiCamillo in the quarterfinals to cement his top 6 finish.  There I have his limited neutral dropping him down below against Dardanes.  In consolations, I have him losing to Earl “Big Move” Hall and Jimmy Gulibon to finish 6th.  As I said in the Gulibon section, Gulibon had Dijulius beaten and then Dijulius pulled that modified lateral drop out of his ass.  I don’t think that’s happening agan.

7. AJ Schopp, Edinboro

The Former Frontrunner (trademark pending) still manages to slip onto the stand.  I have AJ beating a tough Caleb Richardson of Penn in Round 1 and a tougher Geoffrey Alexander in Round 2 to make the quarterfinals.  There he will meet his old nemesis Chris Dardanes with Dardanes beating him to continue on the championship side.  AJ will drop down to face Rossi Bruno in the Round of 12.  I think AJ still has enough to beat him and then I have him beating Mason Beckman on a RT point in the 7th place match, although he could default out after making the podium.

8. Mason Beckman, Lehigh

Christian Pyle’s # 1 fan (they’re always retweeting each other, it’s adorable) grabs the final all American slot.  Beckdiggity beats Jade Rauser of Utah Valley in Round 1 and then beats old friend Jimmy Gulibon in Round 2.  Then I have him dropping the quarterfinal to Bryadleyan Taylor to drop into the Round of 12.  There I have him beating Cody Brewer of Oklahoma, vindicating Pyles’ yearlong bias against Brewer.  I then have him losing to Earl Hall to go into the 7th place match, where I have him losing a close one to the injured AJ Schopp.

Predictions:

1. Chris Dardanes, Minnesota

2. Cory Clark, Iowa

3. Bradley Taylor, Wisconsin *

4. Earl Hall, Iowa State

5. Jimmy Gulibon, Penn State

6. Johnny Dijulius, Ohio State

7. AJ Schopp, Edinboro

8. Mason Beckman, Lehigh

Round of 12: George DiCamillo, Virginia; Rossi Bruno, Brandon High School; Cody Brewer, Oklahoma; Geoffrey Alexander, Maryland.

**Team implications:  I have Synon of Mizzou winning one consolation match and Grey of Cornell winning two consolation matches.

Edited by VakAttack

Love the predictions...

Quick sidenote, although Dance has beaten Forys twice (including by fall), I believe Forys was beating him at ACCs.

While I think Forys will be hardpressed to pull the upset, I do think it might be tougher sledding than the result of last match indicates.

...Or Dance turns it on and beats him by 12 :). Worth mentioning, though.

Not losing at the time of the fall, but he did trail by 1 after the 1st period.  The scoring was:

Takedown Dance

Reversal Forys

Escape Dance

Takedown and 2 swipes Forys (he got dumped)

Reversal Dance

6-5 Forys after 1

Escape Dance

Takedown Dance

8-6 Dance after 2

Escape Forys

Take down Dance with a headlock and Fall

Was up 10-7 before the Fall.  Would have been 13-7 if Forys had gotten off his back.

i like how 133 was supposed to clear out after last year with 5 AAs graduating, but then guys like Clark Taylor and Hall move up while C Dardanes moves down and then a guy like Geoff Alexander come off red shirt at what looked like a great time but instead runs into a buzzsaw of a weight class. 

9 Schopp, 10 Beckman & 13 Brewer were supposed to have this division all for themselves. but thats what makes college wrestling so much fun. 

Is this the same Earl Hall who Johnni majored earlier this year?  9-0?

6. Johnny Dijulius, Ohio State *

I’m sure I’ll get some crap from Ohio State fans for having two straight guys make the semifinals and then double dip down to 6th, but that’s how I see it.  DiJulius has a REALLY great draw and a clear ride to the semifinals as long as he wrestles to his ability.  I have him beating pigtail winner Ian Nickell in Round 1.  Then I have him winning over Cody Brewer in what time has shown is a bad match up for Brewer.  I then have JDJ winning over 12 seed George DiCamillo in the quarterfinals to cement his top 6 finish.  There I have his limited neutral dropping him down below against Dardanes.  In consolations, I have him losing to Earl “Big Move” Hall and Jimmy Gulibon to finish 6th.  As I said in the Gulibon section, Gulibon had Dijulius beaten and then Dijulius pulled that modified lateral drop out of his ass.  I don’t think that’s happening agan.

Edited by figure4

"Gulibon had Dijulius beaten and then Dijulius pulled that modified lateral drop out of his ass.  I don’t think that’s happening agan."

Vak good analysis but you lose credibility when you make statements like this. JDJ wrestles from that position several times throughout every match. You don't think he knew how to hit a lat pull, particularly in a situation where the match is on the line? I'm sure that he knows how to hit an arm spin too, but that's not his style. 

No, different guy.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251839-2014-Cliff-Keen-Las-Vegas-Invitational/video/754426-133lbs-3rd-Place-Match-Earl-Hall-vs-Johnni-DiJulius-Ohio-State#.VQNeD-H2SSo

My bad on the name confusion.  Earl Hall did get beat pretty badly by a guy named DiWHOlius (according to the announcer) in December though. Almost broke his own elbow trying to get out of the banana hands.  It's a good thing he only has to wrestle Dijulius. 

P.S.  Appreciate the predictions.  I'm just giving you a hard time, Vak.

Edited by figure4

141 lbs.

1. Logan "Logie Bear" Sieber, Ohio State

At a certain point I saw vulnerabilties in Logie this year. I am now convinced it was me creating that in my head for the most part. Only two men have any shot at beating Logie, and I have them meeting in the semifinals on the other side. I have Stieber rolling thru the whole bracket with bonus until the Finals. I have him beating pigtail winner Jordan Last by pinfall. Then I have him smoking Mike Morales of West Virginia and Anthony Abidin of Nebraska to set up a rematch ofl last year's NCAA Finals. It's a shame that Carter has to face Logie in the semis, he should have had a shot to make the NCAA Finals, even if I would have picked Port to beat him again. That's for his own description though. I have Logie majoring Devin again because he is an awful match up, and then I have Stieber winning a controlled decision over Mitchell Port of Edinboro in the Finals.

2. Mitchell Port, Edinboro

Coming in to the season, I thought Port had a legitimate shot at upsetting Logie. I still think he has a chance, but I don't think it's likely. One of Port's biggest advantages is his size/strength advantage over most, and lets just say that's not an issue with the massive Bear. For the tournament, I have The Mullet racking up easy early wins over Mitchell Bengston of NOrth Dakota State followed by Jamel Hudson of Hofstra. Afterwards, I have Port winning a controlled decision over Ashnault in the quarterfinals. In the semfinals, I have Port winning a razor tight decision over Nick Dardanes of Minnesota, before losing to Logie in the NCAA Finals.

3. Devin Carter, Virginia Tech *

After being a truly amazing story last season with the late comeback to NCAA finalist (similar to the recent Derek St. John season where he ended up losing to Dake in the Finals), I have Carter placing highly yet again, but falling short of the Finals, or even having a chance to make the FInals, due to the shortcomings of the Seeding Committee. That said, I do have Carter easily running thru the bracket to make the semifinals. I have Carter putting up bonus points against Tyler Small of Kent State in Round 1, Dante Rodriguez of Iowa State in Round 2 and Iowa's Josh Dziewa in the quarterfinals. After he loses to Stieber in the semifinals, I have Carter taking revenge on Mayes for the seeding fiasco in the consolation semifinals and then beating Nick Dardanes in the 3rd place match.

4. Nick Dardanes, Minnesota *

I've long been a fan of Nick (and his brother) for the bullying style of wrestling. Nick was the 2 seed at NCAAs last year at 149 lbs (although that was a little bit of overseeding there in itself), so we know size and strength isn't an issue at the weight, but he's also shown impressive speed, as well. I have Nick bullying his way through Steven Rodrigues of Illinois in Round 1 and Chris "Mayes Beater" Mecate in Round 2 before getting the Man, the Myth, the MAC Third Place Finisher, Lavion Mayes. I have Dardanes and the advantageous match up advancing to the semifinals against Mitchell Port. There, Dardanes will meet the Mullet that can match his brute strength and is just a little slicker, so I have Dardanes dropping down to put a revenge beating on Josh Dziewa of Iowa in the consolation semifinals before subsequently losing, again, to Devin Carter of Virginia Tech.

5. Lavion Mayes, Missouri

Monsieur Mayes ha a poor MAC tournament, losing to Meate and having a close match with Jake Hodges of Northern Iowa who doesn't even have an entry on D1CW's Individual Results page. That said, the skill is still there that we saw earlier in the year, notably from neutral. Weight is apparently an issue and one has to wonder how 2-3 days of cutting will effect him after the grind of the season. Further, I just flat don't think he deserved the 3 seed, even before that MAC Tournament. That was Devin Carter's spot. That said, he's dropped into a tough quarter of the bracket, and I don't see him making it out of their, despite the seed. I have Mayes beating a struggling Joe Spisak in Round 1 and slipping by a tougher-than-you-think Dean Heil before losing to Dardanes in the quarters. I just think it's an awful match up for Mayes. I have Mayes dropping into the Round of 12 where I have him running off wins againsst Geo Martinez of Boise State and Anthony Ashnault of Rutgers before Devin Carter takes his bloody revenge in the consolation semifinals. In the fifth place match I have Mayes meeting Iowa's Josh Dziewa, and we've seen how that match up goes. Maybe Dziewa can keep it to a decision?

6. Josh Dziewa, Iowa

Vindication for msu158 and one of the more overly criticized Iowa wresters of recent times, Dziewa finds himself on the podium as a mid-AA. Dziewa's excellent B1G tournament has set hm up for a great shot at All American. I have Dziewa navigating his early draw against Kevin Jack of North Carolina State and Joseph Ward of North Carolina. I have him receiving a beatdown at the hands of Devin Carter and dropping into the Round of 12, where I have him beaing MAC Champion Zach Horan. I have Dziewa repeating his win over Anthony Abidin of Nebraska before getting whipped by a bloodthirsty Nick Dardanes, and then getting picked apart by Mayes in the 5th place match.

7. Anthony Abidin, Nebraska

The JUCO standout makes it on to the podium after some off-the-mat concerns from his first season at Nebraska. He's been impressive all year, and he could end up higher if he reverses the result against Dziewa. I have Abidin winning over Nick Lawrence of Purdue and then Geo Martinez of Boise State in the first two rounds before being buzzsawed by Logan Stieber in the quarterfinals. Once he drops to the Round of 12, I have him being Dean Heil of Oklahoma State and then losing to Josh Dziewa again. In the 7th place match I hae Abidin continuing his winning ways over Anthony Ashnault.

8. Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers

The Rutgers superfrosh makes good on his promise and finds his way on to the podium as a freshman. Ashnault has a pretty sweet draw to make AA if you ask me. I have him beating Mike Longo of Appalachian State in Round 1 easily before winning a tight match over the tough MAC Champion, Zach Horan. Once in the quarters, I have Ashnault being dropped like a bad habit by Mitchell Port before facing off against Joe Spisak in the Round of 12. I have Ashnault winning over Spisak before losing to Lavion Mayes and then losing again to Anthony Abidin.

Predictions:

1. Logan Stieber, Ohio State
2. Mitchell Port, Edinboro
3. Devin Carter, Virginia Tech
4. Nick Dardanes, Minnesota
5. Lavion Mayes, Missouri
6. Josh Dziewa, Iowa
7. Anthony Abidin, Nebraska
8. Anthony Ashnault, Rutgers

Round of 12: Zach Horan, Central Michigan; Dean Heil, Oklahoma State; Joe Spisak, Virginia; Geo Martinez, Boise State.

**Team Race implications are all addressed in the AA section; all schools I consider contenders for the title are All Americans at this weight.

Edited by VakAttack

149 lbs.

1.  Drake Houdashelt, Missouri

I don't think he deserves the 1 seed this year over Tsirtsis, but I do see him winning the title.  Last year's # 1 seed follows through this year and wins it.  I have Houdasnooze cruising into the semifinals with wins over pigtail winner Clayton Ream of North Dakota State and the frisky, but outmatched, Mikey Racciato of Pitt in the first two rounds.  After that I have him beating Lenny Richardson in the quarterfinals comfrotably before squeezing out a tight semifinal win over Iowa's Brandon Sorenson.  In the Finals I have him matched up with the defending champion, Jason Tsirtsis.  There I like Houdashelt's improved riding to give him the edge in a boring match.

2.  Jason Tsirtsis, Northwestern

The champ is going to make another (boring) run at it again.  I have Tsnoozis winning tight matches over Neff of Lock Haven, the dangerous Clagon of Rider and the less dangerous Theobold of Rutgers in the first three rounds.  Then I have him laying on top of Habat in the semifinal before getting outstalled in the Finals by Houdasnooze.

3.  Brandon Sorenson, Iowa *

Bringing up the rear in the Holy Trinity of Boring is Brandon Sorensnooze.  He doesn't lay on top of people quite as well as the other two, but man is he good at grabbing their ears and burying his face in their shoulders in neutral.  Sorenson actually got a pretty tough draw with Langenderfer in Round 1 and Cobb in Round 2.  I have him winning both matches to go to the quarters, where he'll face a fresh-off-upsetting-Villalonga Zack Beitz.  I have Sorenson edging Beitz again to make the semifinals before being downed by the "dynamic" offense of Houdashelt.

4.  David Habat, Edinboro *

Sadly the most exciting wrestler of the top echelon guys is probably going to come in 4th.  I have Habat beating the big named group of Stieber and Kindig, neither of whom is near 100% enough to beat Habat, I don't think.  Kindig is obviously a bit of a wildcard.  Then I have Habat downing the stout but limited Pantaleo in the quarters before falling asleep while trying to wrestle Tsirtsis in the semifinals and losing in TBs while unconscious.  I have him dropping down and beating the surprising Lenny Richardson from Old Dominion before losing to Sorenson in the 3rd place match.

5.  Chris Villalonga, Cornell

The senior finally gets on the podium after ~14 years of D1 competition.  I have Vilalonga winning in Round 1 but then being upset by Beitz in Round 2.  I have Villalonga then running off wins over Frisch from the Citadel and Cobb from Penn to make the Round of 12 where he beats Kenny Theobol.  After that he beats Mikey Racciato before falling to Brandon Sorenson in the consolation semifinals.  I then have him winning the 5th place match over Lenny Richardson of Old Dominion.

6.  Alexander Richardson, Old Dominion

I have Richardson capping off an excellent tournament with a 6th place finish.  Lenny wins Rounds 1 against Chris Perez of Princeton and Round 2 over Gabe Moreno of Iowa State before being downed by the Cure to Insomnia, Drake Houdashelt..  I have him beating Langenderfer in the Round of 12 and BJ Clagon in the first placement match before losing to Habat in the consolation semifinals and then again to Villalonga in the 5th place match.

7.  BJ Clagon, Rider

Maybe I'm caught up in the moment, but I think Clagon sneaks onto the stand.  I have him winning Round 1 over Mosley of George Washington before being hypnotized to by the pseudo-mullet Tsirtsis is sporting in Round 2.  Then I have BJ running off wins over Brandon nelson of Purdue, Sal Mastriani of Virginia Tech and then Zack Beitz in the Round of 12.  Then I have him losing to Lenny Richardson and then beating Mikey Racciato.

8.  Mikey Racciato, Pitt

I've always had a soft spot for him, so here we go.He beats Brandon Nelson before falling prey to Houdashelt's "corpse" ride.  Thenn he drops down and beats Mosley of Geroge Washington and Moreno of Iowa State to make the Round of 12, where he faces of with Alec Pantaleo of Michigan.  I have Racciato with the big upset, but then losing to Villalonga and losing his 7th place match with Clagon.

Predictions:

1.  Drake Houdashelt, Missouri

2.  Jason Tsirtsis, Northwestern

3.  Brandon Sorenson, Iowa

4.  David Habat, Edinboro

5.  Chris Villalonga, Cornell

6.  Alexander Richardson, Old Dominion

7.  BJ Clagon, Rider

8.  Mikey Racciato, Pitt

Round of 12:  Zack Beitz, Penn State; Kyle Langenderfer, Illinois; Kenny Theobold, Rutgers; Alex Pantaleo, Michigan

**Team Title Implications:  Other then what's addressed in the AA predictions, Minnesota doesn't have a representative and I just don't think Stieber can do it with that injury.  I have Stieber winning in Round 1 before losing to Habat, then dropping down and losing to Langenderfer again.

157 lbs.

1.  Dylan Ness, Minnesota

I know, I know.  I saw the Big 10 Finals just like you did.  I'm still just gong to believe that Dylan finds a way to get that chip on his last try, just like his big brother did.  i have Dylanrunning through Brandon Zeerip of Eastern Michigan, Chad Walsh of Rider and Brian Murphy of Michigan in the quarters.  Then I have him facing down a resurgent Ian Miller of Kent State and coming away with a win in may be the most exciting and wild match of the tournament.  Then I have him beating the guy who's replacing Ness as my favorite non-Iowa wrestler, Isaiah Martinez of Illinois.

2.  Isaiah "It's I-mart, don't say I-Mar" Martinez, Illinois

The superfrosh continues his dominance, sweeping into the finals with comfortable wins in the first two rounds over Russell Parsons of Army and Spartak Chino of Ohio.  In the quarters, I-Mart will down a tough but not-ready-for-that-fire Nick Brascetta before beating James Green more comfortably then last time.  Then I have him freezing up, just a little on the big stage and dropping a match to Ness that nobody can really predict with a straight face after their B1G final...except for me. ;)

3.  James Green, Nebraska *

Jordan Burroughs padwan finds himself unable to match his teacher, but that's ok.  Nobody can match Burroughs in the US.  Green actually has a tricky little quarter, but I have him navigating it into the semifinals.  I have him beating the funky Markus Scheidel of Columbia, the frisky Anthony perrotti of Rutgers and solid Cody Pack of South Dakota State to make the semifinals.  There I have him running into the Cali-Tornado, Isaiah Martinez.  I see him losing again and dropping down to face Brian Realbuto of Cornell in the consolation semifinals.  I have Green power doubling his way to victory and then beating Ian Miller for 3rd, although probably not as badly as last time.

4.  Ian Miller, Kent State *

Miller has had a strange season that has seen him tripped up and losing to guys he should beat, like Jarrett Jensen of Northern Iowa.  I think he gets a little mojo back, but "title favorite" mojo that I thought he had coming in to the season.  I have Miller running thru doug Welch of Purdue and Justin DeAngelis of Oklahoma, before he sneaks by Brian Realbuto in the quarters to make the semifinals.  There I have the aforementioned Clash of the Titans with Ness.  I have him losing and going on to face Cody Pack in the consolation semifinals.  I have him winning over Pack but then losing comfortably to James Green.

5.  Brian Realbuto, Cornell

I know he beat Ness.  I also know he lost to Dylan Alton, who at one point this season gassed harder then Bubba Jenkins against Metcalf.  I have Realbuto beating Oliver Pierce of Arizona State and then Anthony Collica of Oklahoma State before Miller upsets him in the quarters.  Then I have Realbuto beating Perrotti of Rutgers in the Round of 12 and Doug Welch of Purdue  before losing to Green in the consolation semifinals.  Then I have him beating cody pack for 5th place.

6.  Cody Pack, South Dakota State

I've liked this kid all season and he's quietly been very good, and had supertight matches with some of the best guys, including Ness.  I have Pack beating Immanuel Kerr-Brown of Duke in Round 1 and Willie Saylor's Favorite Wrestler, Mitch Minotti in Round 2.  Afterwards I ave him losing to Green in the wuarters and dropping into the Round of 12.  There I see him beating Justin DeAngelis and then Nick Brascetta to make the consolation semifinals.  Then I have him losing his last two matches against Ian Miller and Brian Realbuto to finish 6th.

7.  Nick Brascetta, Virginia Tech

A returning AA who has had a limited season, I see him getting on the podium again despite his lack of seed. (That's what she said).  I have Nick beating Joey LaVallee in Round 1 and John Boyle in Round 2 before being dismantled by I-Mart in the quarters.  After that I have him dropping down and beating Josh Demas in the Round of 12, then losing to Cody Pack before beating Doug Welch in the 7th place match.

8.  Doug Welch, Purdue

Solid wrestler all year with some big wins, including over James Green.  I have Welch sliding inot the last spot on the podium.  I have Welch losing in Round 1 to Ian Miller, but then storming back thru the bracket to make AA.  I have him beating Mascola of Maryland and Brooks Martino of Penn.  Then I see Welch running thru John Boyle, he of the undeserved 8 seed, and then Justin Stadenmayer of Brown to make the Round of 12.  There I have Welch beating Brian Murphy.  Next he would lose to Realbuto and then to Brascetta in the 7th place match.

Predictions:

1.  Dylan Ness, Minnesota

2.  Isaiah Martinez, Illinois

3.  James Green, Nebraska

4.  Ian Miller, Kent State

5.  Brian Realbuto, Cornell

6.  Cody Pack, South Dakota State

7.  Nick Brascetta, Virginia Tech

8.  Doug Welch, Purdue

**Team Title Implications:  I have Demas winning one championship match and two consolation matches before being eliminated in the Round of 12.  Joey LaVallee I have going 1-2 with his only win in the consolation brackets.  I have Mike Kelly fallling in the Round of 16 to Anthony Perrotti with no championship wins.