Sign in to follow this  
RPKD

Does Iowa have the top 2 125lbers in the Nation???

We all know McDonough is the top 125 wrestler in the nation, but Cory Clark just manhandled Delgado #4 from Illinois in the finals of the UNI Open 6-1 and it could have been even worse with 2 possible tilts in the 3rd period with no NF.

according to web site it was Connor Ckarke of ISU, who isn't even in their starting lineup. Hope someone out there will please clarify.

The bracket shows Cory Clark (Iowa) as the champion.

It also has Connor Clarke (ISU) going 1-2.

I think what you are saying makes much more sense to me. The article posted on the Illinois web site, which I just re read indicates that Delgado finished 2nd to Connor Clarke of ISU.

1. No, they don't.

2. It doesn't matter if they do, only one of them can wrestle 125 for the Hawkeyes.

I'm as excited as anyone by the eye-opening result by Clark, but I would still favor Delgado in a rematch. A guy in season wrestling a true freshman may have been taking it a little lightly, who knows? It could end p being that Cory Clark is just the second coming of McDonough, but I think we should see some repeated results to verify that.

1. No, they don't.

2. It doesn't matter if they do, only one of them can wrestle 125 for the Hawkeyes.

I'm as excited as anyone by the eye-opening result by Clark, but I would still favor Delgado in a rematch. A guy in season wrestling a true freshman may have been taking it a little lightly, who knows? It could end p being that Cory Clark is just the second coming of McDonough, but I think we should see some repeated results to verify that.

didn't Clark recently lose to McDonough in SV......I think it looks like he is the real deal!

1. No, they don't.

didn't Clark recently lose to McDonough in SV......I think it looks like he is the real deal!

He's definitely great. But I'm just saying I'm hesitant to say the guy is the second best guy at his weight when he's a true freshman who has two nice results against high level guys, one of which is a loss to his teammate. I think he's going to be really good, I'm just saying lets calm down on the hype.

I think Cory Clark looks solid, I like Gilman too, both high recruits out of high school, but I put no stock in the McD match. Practice partners wrestle each other tougher pretty consistently. Remember Johnny Thompson lost a wrestle off match. What I would like to see is Clark wrestle Gulibon now. Let's see where each has come in a short period of time. Gulibon was clearly better coming in but is he now? Something tells me Clark has passed him. Could be a pretty good rivalry down the road.

No.. they have 1 who is in the top 3 in the nation. Not saying he is 3rd btw ...and not saying he is 1

You should, though. He's the defending NCAA champion and he's ranked #1 by all services, and has beaten all challengers. He could get upset, sure, but he's definitely #1 right now.

Im aware of the rankings

Are you aware of the results, also? Because it's not like I'm just resting on rankings.

He's 7-1 against the TOM/AWN top 10 with 2 falls and 2 majors. Only one guy poses a real threat to him, Delgado, due to his quickness and length, which the other guys don't really have both. Thorn and Waters are both long, but not supremely quick. Megaludis has yet to come even close to a TD, but does have that formidable split defense that is painful to see.

Yes.. aware of the results from LAST year. Matt should be ranked number 1 at this point. But that wasn't the thread question. Just saying I now have a question if he is the best. Top =Best just to clarify. It is a brutal weight class with about 5 other wrestlers who have completely different styles. A couple he has wrestled and a few I don't believe he has. Not making a big deal about this other than it will be a very very interesting weight class come NCAAs. Megaludis and Garrett were first year wrestlers last year(although he didn't wrestle Garrett that I'm aware of) Delgado gave him fits(outwrestled him both times), I know matt won the 2nd match....Thorn is dangerous(never wrestled him) Waters(tough) never wrestled him that I know of. If my facts are incorrect please feel free to correct me.

Delgado gave him fits(outwrestled him both times), I know matt won the 2nd match... If my facts are incorrect please feel free to correct me.

McDonough won the 2nd and 3rd matches 6-3 and 4-3 respectively. I'll be surprised if he loses this year, but I said that last year too. Lightning can strike twice.

I was at the 10-3 match in Pittsburgh I agree it was closer than 10-3 Gulibon had a very nice tilt for NF. They also wrestled out in Iowa a few weeks after than flip flopped rolls Gulibon was on team USA Clark team Iowa Gulibon won that match 5-2 I believe

Waters has underachieved in the post-season the last couple of seasons. That being said, he now has Henson in the room coaching him every day. If Henson does for Waters what he did for Donahoe, he could definitely throw a wrench into the works come March.

Waters has underachieved in the post-season the last couple of seasons. That being said, he now has Henson in the room coaching him every day. If Henson does for Waters what he did for Donahoe, he could definitely throw a wrench into the works come March.

I agree 100%. If there is anything we've learned as wrestling fans, it's that anything can happen in march! I still think back to McDonough's frosh year, while we are on the topic of 125. Would anyone have predicted there to be an all freshman final between McD and Long when there were soon to be 4x AA's and former National Champs in Nickerson and Escobedo in that weight class? I certainly wouldn't have predicted it. McDonough is definitely the favorite and he has earned that position but crazy things happen when the lights are on bright.