Sign in to follow this  
RPKD

Does Iowa have the top 2 125lbers in the Nation???

Yes.. aware of the results from LAST year. Matt should be ranked number 1 at this point. But that wasn't the thread question. Just saying I now have a question if he is the best. Top =Best just to clarify. It is a brutal weight class with about 5 other wrestlers who have completely different styles. A couple he has wrestled and a few I don't believe he has. Not making a big deal about this other than it will be a very very interesting weight class come NCAAs. Megaludis and Garrett were first year wrestlers last year(although he didn't wrestle Garrett that I'm aware of) Delgado gave him fits(outwrestled him both times), I know matt won the 2nd match....Thorn is dangerous(never wrestled him) Waters(tough) never wrestled him that I know of. If my facts are incorrect please feel free to correct me.

Well, if he isn't the "best" in his weight class, who is?

I don't know who is the best this year. I think my previous posts indicate that their are some newcomers to the group that make it intriguing, and a couple which have given McDonough fits last year. One of which was only a true freshman. A few dangerous wrestlers and a couple stingy wrestlers. The scuffle will be interesting(wish iowa was going to scuffle or midlands to see how they do in tough tournament).

If you haven't scored an offensive point on someone, then you certainly haven't given them "fits."

But, "fits" could mean blocking off, tieing up and not shooting. It could cause McD to go into fits and be pissed.:lol:

And, he is a clear #1. Hands down.

How can anyone question that McD is #1? By the logic that there are a bunch of guys who could keep it close and maybe get an upset, what's the point of ranking or talking about pecking order at all then?

Dake may be the best college wrestler in the country right now but even he is not clear-cut #1 by the standard that Taylor barely lost one to him and Caldwell could keep it close and pull a win out too. Stieber is not #1 because Ramos could upset him or give him "fits." Similar arguments could be made at every weight.

McD is #1 until someone beats him to take that slot. He is one of the most decorated wrestlers in college, and last time I checked, keeping it close against the defending champ or giving him fits doesn't score any extra points or win matches.

Overtime... no fits? finals match tied with a little over a minute to go....no fits? Delgado...outwrestles him 2 out of 3 matches.... and the other 3 i don't believe he has wrestled ? Forgive me for questioning who is best this year. Hanging on and tie ups are the Hawkeyes "go to" moves... and you are gonna question a true freshman who just about went toe to toe as far as handfighting and staying in the middle. Take your black and gold glasses off when you re watch both matches. and the three delgado matches. My goodness you guys here that someone thinks this is a weight class that to me is waaaaaay up in the air and you instantly jump to the conclusion that i am not very impressed with the iowa 125 pounder's 2 national titles and 3 finals appearances.

Overtime... no fits? finals match tied with a little over a minute to go....no fits? Delgado...outwrestles him 2 out of 3 matches.... and the other 3 i don't believe he has wrestled ? Forgive me for questioning who is best this year. Hanging on and tie ups are the Hawkeyes "go to" moves... and you are gonna question a true freshman who just about went toe to toe as far as handfighting and staying in the middle. Take your black and gold glasses off when you re watch both matches. and the three delgado matches. My goodness you guys here that someone thinks this is a weight class that to me is waaaaaay up in the air and you instantly jump to the conclusion that i am not very impressed with the iowa 125 pounder's 2 national titles and 3 finals appearances.

McDonough has lost to Escobedo, Robles, Precin and Delgado.

Look at it this way: Andrew Long, Zach Sanders, and Brandon Precin, combined for 15 chances at McDonough, and Precin got him once.

Waters, Thorn, Megaludis and Delgado are not too impressive compared to that list. Probability comes into play when you're talking about uncommonly dominant wrestlers.

We get it Mr. Delago you like yours son's chances this year. Good for you.

Look, anyone who's trying to say that McDonough is not a clear and legitimate favorite at 125 is just being purposely obstinate. Not worth addressing.

Yea, I gave up after his last response.

Look, anyone who's trying to say that McDonough is not a clear and legitimate favorite at 125 is just being purposely obstinate. Not worth addressing.

Well, I would argue that the entire purpose of themat.com forums is to give unreasonable people a place to voice opinions ;)

Well, I would argue that the entire purpose of themat.com forums is to give unreasonable people a place to voice opinions ;)

Put it another way: that would be like me arguing that Logan Stieber was not a rightful and legitimate favorite at 133. I mean, after all, Tony Ramos was close to beating Stieber.

But of course Stieber is the rightful favorite.

I think the problem lies in the inability of you guys to read and comprehend a full paragraph. My fault, i should have looked at the poster's names before i gave the facts of the 125 pound weight class. Can't debate logic with people who have already made up their minds.

I think the problem lies in the inability of you guys to read and comprehend a full paragraph. My fault, i should have looked at the poster's names before i gave the facts of the 125 pound weight class. Can't debate logic with people who have already made up their minds.
Maybe you should read the title of the thread. You are essentially trying to convince us that a guy that was just manhandled by the back-up at Iowa should be #1. McD is the best 125lber in the country. And from his small body of work it is arguable that Clark could very well be the 2nd best in the country. I would say behind Stieber, McD is about as big as favorite to win a title this year as anyone at any weight.

You saying the weight class is "wwwwaaaaayyyyyy up in the air" doesn't make it a fact. You saying Delgado "outwrestled McDonough in 2 of 3 matches" doesn't make it a fact. These are opinions. Fact: McDonough is a defending NCAA champion. Fact: McDonough is a 3 time finalist. Fact: Megaludis just lost to the immortal Anthony Zannetta. Fact: Jesse Delgado just lost rather handily to McDonough's back up, a true freshman.

Conclusion: McDonough is the strong and rightful favorite at the weight.

You saying the weight class is "wwwwaaaaayyyyyy up in the air" doesn't make it a fact. You saying Delgado "outwrestled McDonough in 2 of 3 matches" doesn't make it a fact. These are opinions. Fact: McDonough is a defending NCAA champion. Fact: McDonough is a 3 time finalist. Fact: Megaludis just lost to the immortal Anthony Zannetta. Fact: Jesse Delgado just lost rather handily to McDonough's back up, a true freshman.

Conclusion: McDonough is the strong and rightful favorite at the weight.

The only fact of truth is that Delgado beat McDonough last year.

Come on, man. He is the man to beat, everyone knows that. You don't to be a fan of his or an Iowa fan to know that. No one here is wearing black and gold glasses. When you have proven to be the best, you are rightfully the best. Could he lose? Absolutely. But until he does, he is the clear cut #1.

Guest Hammerlock3

objection: Your Honor, the excellence, superiority or inferiority of mr. mcdonoghs back up has no pertinence to him or mr delgado.

If I'm a D1 top AA candidate and I'm going to the UNI Open I'm probably not bringing my A game

Fair. I even made the same point earlier in the thread. But couldn't the same also be said about McDonough facing a freshman with no major wins under his belt in an pre-Christmas Break dual?