Sign in to follow this  
nom

N Garrett - so much love

Stalling?   What about it is stalling?    The kid from ASU who won a national title at 125 did it in every match without it ever being called as far as I can recall.    Where exactly is the stall in this stance.?

really Cletus? jeesh.

My area of contention is the type of wrestling it dictates.  To me, and obviously that clearly states it is an opinion, neutral wrestling is supposed to start on your feet.  Contact is initiated from your feet.  Going to your knees, other than as part of an offensive attack, considerably limits the type of action in neutral.  Wrestling can be boring enough as it is.  Allowing a style that limits activity in neutral, seems to only contribute to this problem.  The stall call is designed to not only penalize a wrestler for avoiding contact, being solely defensive, etc.  It is also designed to promote activity and try to make wrestling more entertaining.

Again, I have stated my opinion and reasoning.  If you disagree with me I respect that.  No need to get personal.

Hurricanewrestling,

If you read my initial post on backing up you see I gave it an actual number.  3-4 steps.  That is a considerable amount that could actually have you moving all the way back to the edge of the circle before you try any offensive action.  I have no issue with a step or 2, but 3-4, in a straight backward motion is hard to ignore.

Also,  that one line needs about three more to CLEARLY define what creating offense is while continually backing away.  Because, as I read it, how is it possible to "create offensive action" while you are backing up and avoiding contact?  To me, that is the rub.  You can absolutely be stalling and then hit an offensive move less than a second later.  The actual act of backing up 3-4 steps is hard to, in any way, be called an offensive action.

Edited by MSU158

not a fan of wrestling on your knee from neutral at all....i encourage young kids when encountered with an opponent who does this to club/snap the back of his head down.

to me, this was a great drill back in HS, one guy on his knee/knees as you club him down, try to use his tactics against him

MSU - It is easy to not be stalling even if you backup 3, 4, or more steps.  All you have to do is actually attempt to score using an offensive move periodically (ideally more often than the guy who's stepping forward).

I would rather everyone wrestle from their knees while backing up as long as they actually SHOOT! Or just do something! No more shoving someone to the out of bounds line and waiting for a stalling call. That is easily the most prevalent form of stalling from many teams.

Going to your knees just makes it easier for your opponents to snap you down or spin behind you so I don't know why people who hate it unless they would prefer to just do the pushing thing.

Hurricanewrestling,

If you read my initial post on backing up you see I gave it an actual number.  3-4 steps.  That is a considerable amount that could actually have you moving all the way back to the edge of the circle before you try any offensive action.  I have no issue with a step or 2, but 3-4, in a straight backward motion is hard to ignore.

Also,  that one line needs about three more to CLEARLY define what creating offense is while continually backing away.  Because, as I read it, how is it possible to "create offensive action" while you are backing up and avoiding contact?  To me, that is the rub.  You can absolutely be stalling and then hit an offensive move less than a second later.  The actual act of backing up 3-4 steps is hard to, in any way, be called an offensive action.

I understand your point, but I don't think you can solve the issue you perceive as problematic by additional rule writing.  For example, you say you have no problem with a step or two.  Another guy may have no problem with 3-4 steps.  However, regardless of the number of steps, its a judgement call that should be viewed in the context of the overall action.  

For example, let's say a guy takes 4 quick steps back, then hits a blast double and that entire sequence takes only a couple of seconds.  Should he be automatically hit for stalling when he takes that 3rd step back?  Or should the referee, as imperfect as they are, use his judgement in determining if a guy's actually stalling based on the totality of the circumstances?

Hurricanewrestling,

You are correct it will always be subjective.  I would, however, hope that a paragraph would make it considerably less subjective than a 10 word sentence does!

Also,  I agree length of steps, how quickly they are done and things of that nature will give you a much better insight into whether or not the intent is to avoid contact.

I will say that I just don't like backing up, period.  Why is the other wrestler supposed to follow you?  This is kind of the same point I have with going to a knee while not engaged with your opponent.  Why should I let you dictate these type of positions?