Sign in to follow this  
paver1surf1

Oklahoma State VS Penn State at nationals

I think these two teams are the only two real contenders to win the team title this year. Penn state is the favorite if everybody wrestles to their capabilities, Oaky State could beat them. I don’t know how the breakdown would work out. Maybe someone with more knowledge could give a better analysis.

149-Jordan Oliver Champion I think as the season goes on he will get better & better

165-Tyler Caldwell Top 3 Could win it all

174-Chris Perry Champion The best in this weight since Ruth moved up

285-Alan Gelogaev Top 3 Probably the best technical heavy weight but kind of fragile

125: Nico Megaludis Top 4 I could see him top 2

149: Andrew Alton Top 5 could be top 3

157: Dylan Alton Top 5 I don’t know at the beginning of the season clear # 2 now?

165: David Taylor Top 3 Could very well win it all.

174: Matt Brown Top 6 I just don’t know

184: Ed Ruth Champion Most clear cut favorite to win it all.

197: Quentin Wright Top 6 Who knows, but it will be fun to watch.

I think these two teams are the only two real contenders to win the team title this year. Penn state is the favorite if everybody wrestles to their capabilities, Oaky State could beat them. I don’t know how the breakdown would work out. Maybe someone with more knowledge could give a better analysis.

149-Jordan Oliver Champion I think as the season goes on he will get better & better

165-Tyler Caldwell Top 3 Could win it all

174-Chris Perry Champion The best in this weight since Ruth moved up

285-Alan Gelogaev Top 3 Probably the best technical heavy weight but kind of fragile

125: Nico Megaludis Top 4 I could see him top 2

149: Andrew Alton Top 5 could be top 3

157: Dylan Alton Top 5 I don’t know at the beginning of the season clear # 2 now?

165: David Taylor Top 3 Could very well win it all.

174: Matt Brown Top 6 I just don’t know

184: Ed Ruth Champion Most clear cut favorite to win it all.

197: Quentin Wright Top 6 Who knows, but it will be fun to watch.

Even if all 4 OSU guys won it, they would be lucky to get 100 pts from those 4. That is STILL 43 pts behind what PSU scored last year. Now I don't see PSU scoring that high again this year but they will still be significantly over 100. So you would still need 30 or so more pts and the only weights that look like they can score significant pts at are 33, 57 and 97. 84 may win a match or 2. If you got 20 pts from the 4 weights it would be as miraculous as the top 4 winning the title. So even with MAXING OUT OSU's potential you would need a significant drop from PSU for OSU to catch them.

I am interested in the Brown vs Perry match up right now. I know they are teammates, but Brown kept it as close as anyone can with Ruth last season. A guy like Perry would be a good measuring stick to see where Brown might fit in the scoring area at NCAAs.

I think Minnesota and Iowa are in a better position to challenge Penn State. OSU has some horses but they don't have the same overall placing depth as the Lions. They also won't come close to matching PSU's bonus. Scuffle will be a great indicator on where they are in relation to the defending champs.

I agree that Minnesota and Iowa pose a bigger threat. Minn. lost 22-15 with Ness and Storley out which would have at minimum negated the pin at 149 and major dec. at 174 respectively. Even if you forget about Minn losing two key starters you still have to look at the fact that at 141 if N. Dardanes doesn't get pinned by a Feikert, a guy he'll beat 8 out of 10 times, you would have a Minn winning that dual without their two key starters 18 - 16. Yeah, I know, that's why they wrestle the matches, but come tournament time Minn. will be the team to threaten for the team title, not OSU.

Minn. lost 22-15 with Ness and Storley out which would have at minimum negated the pin at 149 and major dec. at 174 respectively. [C]ome tournament time Minn. will be the team to threaten for the team title, not OSU.

I agree w. this.

PSU vs. Minnesota, at Nationals, will come down to bonus points (duh!).

Could be very interesting as any dilution of PSU's firepower, and Minnesota's overall slightly more balanced line-up could make it close.

what if OSU dropped Oliver to 41 moved dierringer to 49 put dallas bailey in at 57, how would that help them in scoring at nationals?

From a dual team perspective that move would definitely make them tougher. However, I don't see it adding much to their tournament total. Oliver and Dierenger would still score about the same

as they would at the other weights and Bailey at 157, unless he has somehow got his fire back, wouldn't score much if anymore than who (Fiekert) they have in place at 141 now.

I watched the last two duals for OSU and they have some gaps that they cannot fill. 125 and 141 are zero points right now. Morrison is getting better and better at the heavier weight. Oliver is as good at 149 as he was at 133. Calwell and Perry are tough and Chinuma is a lot toyugher than he gets credit. "Z" has not looked great but I think he will be the man to beat in the NCAA's. The wildcard for the Pokes is Alex Dieringer. This kid is very good but young. He finishes extremely well. He beat two ranked wrrstlers this weekend. He could be a factor by March. The Cowboys have medal potential at 7 weights but have no points in three others. Still, catching PSU will be a strong challenge and we would need some upsets along the way.