Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Upset City

First day of three day tournament + heavy weight cutting = upsets

Very true but that takes credit away from the guys that pulled off the so called upsets. Some guys are just doing their best wrestling right now when it matters instead of in January and somebody has to lose

I agree, Mizzou looked very flat all day, Eblen looked like crap in his 1st match.  Mayes I am not surprised, never opens up in the big matches and I said he would not all american.  Has no mat wrestling skills and only opens up his offense on lesser opponents.  Don't get me wrong, I am a BIG MIZZOU fan but not real happy with their performance.  Guys can still come through the backside but it is going to be a fight.  Mizzou has to get better at scoring bonus.  Waters and Cox both should have had bonus in their 1st matches, no urgency.

Edited by STLBOY

I agree, Mizzou looked very flat all day, Eblen looked like crap in his 1st match.  Mayes I am not surprised, never opens up in the big matches and I said he would not all american.  Has no mat wrestling skills and only opens up his offense on lesser opponents.  Don't get me wrong, I am a BIG MIZZOU fan but not real happy with their performance.  Guys can still come through the backside but it is going to be a fight.  Mizzou has to get better at scoring bonus.  Waters and Cox both should have had bonus in their 1st matches, no urgency.

Bingo.  Bonus is key, and that's why I was aggravated with the seeds before the tournament started.  Not because I thought Waters might lose to Delgado, but because he wouldn't get bonus.  Just look at his bracket quarter vs. Tomasello's...and look at the fact that Tomasello has bonused in the first two rounds.  It's the same throughout each weight.

I love Mizzou, but I didn't pick them to win the tournament simply because of this and the lack of bonus.  And when they do have the chance to bonus, they sit back and squeak out the match.

Watching Cox's first round match, it seemed as if he was trying to save energy for his next matches.  It wasn't until there were 30 seconds left in the match that he started aggressively trying for takedowns for a major.  Why didn't he do that all match?  As I said in another thread...this is what separates the team champs from the rest...just ask PSU.

If Mayes, Lavallee, Eblen, Miklus and Mellon can score some bonus on the back side, we still have a shot.  FWIW, my guess is that only 2 of the 5 will AA.

Edited by The_MO_Godfather

I agree with you 100% Godfather.  I think Miklus will step it up and one of the others will pull through.  I just don't see Mayes doing it, wrestles way too close to the vest and never opens up his offense against the big guns.  Cox and Waters have to go for the throat.  I do think the five you all listed will win at least one match if not two.  Milks, Eblen, Mellon, and Lavallee all have a reasonable shot at Round of 12 then winning the blood round and England could win two today.  If we want to stay in the tournament, this has to happen and tOSU has to falter a little.  But that is why NCAA's is great, never know what will happen