Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Dear Mike Kelly,

I am not an Iowa fan or Iowa basher, but it this the worst day 1 in recent memory for Iowa? That is actually a backhanded compliment since most teams would love to have the same number of wrestlers in the tournament and still a few in the champ round.

I think this is the worst first day I've ever seen from Iowa relative to expected performance.

I hate to say this, because I've defended Brands in the past and think he's a good coach, but the coaches must shoulder the blame entirely when the whole team craps the bed this badly. One guy or two, maybe it's just the way wrestling is... An entire team, though? Brands has to look at this and make a meaningful coaching adjustment next year.

I think this is the worst first day I've ever seen from Iowa relative to expected performance.

I hate to say this, because I've defended Brands in the past and think he's a good coach, but the coaches must shoulder the blame entirely when the whole team craps the bed this badly. One guy or two, maybe it's just the way wrestling is... An entire team, though? Brands has to look at this and make a meaningful coaching adjustment next year.

nerd, I don't think his personality would allow it. I think he will just push his "Iowa Style" on the kids even harder. 

"Right there to win it all" ? Yeah so are all the other top teams. Every top team has lost matches they counted as wins no? This board is just full of Iowa Hate. Somebody start a thread about Minnys bad losses, or Cornells,or Ohio states, Mizzou's.. can't seem to find that here

i dont think blame can be completely shouldered by the coaching staff.  moore, jeva, kelly are just not athletic enough compared to the competition.  you can only do some much as a coach.  you cant get water from a rock.  i didnt think any of them were going to make a diff in the team standing

Edited by John79

"Right there to win it all" ? Yeah so are all the other top teams. Every top team has lost matches they counted as wins no? This board is just full of Iowa Hate. Somebody start a thread about Minnys bad losses, or Cornells,or Ohio states, Mizzou's.. can't seem to find that here

If you have read my posts in the past you should know I've generally been supportive of Brands and Iowa. Not always but on average I have had good things to say. Iowa's first day was an abortion.

Of course, I didn't literally mean Brands and his staff are 100% at fault. The kids have to show up a little. But when you are the head coach of a co-favorite to win and half your lineup wrestles like they just got castrated and then hit by a mono epidemic, you kind of have to look in the mirror and take ownership.

i dont think blame can be completely shouldered by the coaching staff.  moore, jeva, kelly are just not athletic enough compared to the competition.  you can only do some much as a coach.  you cant get water from a rock.  i didnt think any of them were going to make a diff in the team standing

That is 100% accurate, but Brands still does have to shoulder some of the blame here. Moore regressed over the past 2 years imo. He also did not have anyone there to step up. Then the Telford first round loss.