Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

Injury Default- A couple weeks too late for Hunter Stieber

At the end of the day, it was Hunter's choice.  Not mine.  Not yours.  Not anyone's.  If you want to 'blame' anyone, blame Hunter, and his own choices.  He's a grown adult (meaning, over 18), is old enough to choose to go to war as a part of our military, etc. etc. etc.  Everyone who wants to sit behind the computer and lambaste Ryan, his parents, his doctors, etc. should sit back and simply respect the kid/man/guy for wanting to do what he attempted to do. 

How does the saying go?  "Those who live in glass houses...?"

You've seen me post before, and I'm a tOSU fan.  I hate to see him lose his year of eligibility, and I don't like the concept of him potentially ruining a stellar Senior season and freestyle career.  However, it's NOT my choice, none of my business, and quite frankly, none of yours.  If ANYTHING, he should be considered a role model for 'perserverance'.  For 'determination'.  For 'individualism'.  But wait... oh yeah... those are non-PC topics and since he's a collegiate wrestler he MUST be examined via public scrutiny by a bunch of 40 somethings sitting behind a computer than can't/won't wrestle anymore. 

There's a thin line between being a fan of the sport, and of the 'art', and being an overzealous, self-righteous zealot that has nothing better to do than impart their own personal opinion as the moral standard.  Yeah.. kind of like this post... :-)

Let the guy be who he is, and relish in the fact that he tried to pull something off that about 1% of us would and be done. 

Well said. Not to mention that as wrestlers we are taught to persevere and fight through pain. We all hear stories every year of guys winning states, nationals, worlds etc with serious injuries. Burroughs won a world title with a broken ankle. H. Stieber gave it a go to see if he could help the team. It didn't work out and that's that

Problem is that Hunter had some shining moments....a couple wins over Beitz and a near win over Sorenson in the dual.  Everyone looked at those results and thought: "if he can suck it up for ncaa's, he might sneak in for a place."  I'm sure Hunter thought so too.

Best outcome--he has surgery, rehabs and wrestles the second half of next season.

The saying goes, Those who live in glass houses get their windows broken. Hunter was in a glass house. If you want a great example of individuality and guts, consider the pro footballer who after one year just recently quit and turned down millions while he was ahead and still had his head.

The saying goes, Those who live in glass houses get their windows broken. Hunter was in a glass house. If you want a great example of individuality and guts, consider the pro footballer who after one year just recently quit and turned down millions while he was ahead and still had his head.

C'mon son...you couldn't think of a better analogy than that? The kid wasn't facing life long neurological issues by competing with his injury. When it's all said and done his quality of life after wrestling wont suffer as a result of this

He scored zero team points. OSU should give him their 2015 NCAA team trophy for an act of bravery with the inscription, "Thanks for literally nothing. We could of done it without you..but your heroic example is an inspiration for all who take pleasure in seeing others grind to a halt."

Well said. Not to mention that as wrestlers we are taught to persevere and fight through pain. We all hear stories every year of guys winning states, nationals, worlds etc with serious injuries. Burroughs won a world title with a broken ankle. H. Stieber gave it a go to see if he could help the team. It didn't work out and that's that

Burroughs did not win a world title with a broken ankle, he broke his ankle a month before the tournament. He had surgery right away and had limited mat time before the tourney no doubt. But it is not like he went into his matches with a broken ankle.

Hunter should not be wrestling in my opinion. It is surely brave of him, but probably was not the best thing for him. I felt sad watching his matches. I wish him a full recovery.

He scored zero team points. OSU should give him their 2015 NCAA team trophy for an act of bravery with the inscription, "Thanks for literally nothing. We could of done it without you..but your heroic example is an inspiration for all who take pleasure in seeing others grind to a halt."

I'll trust Logan Stieber to speak for him and of him, If anyone should, rather than you, sir.

Hunter is an inspiration.   Those of us who have stepped on to the mat with debilitating injury and did it for the sake of accomplishing goals and in order to help the team can relate and certainly hold his efforts in high regard.   Those of you pissing and moaning likely are threatened by his efforts for fear of facing your own unwillingness to pay the price for accomplishment.   You hate he exposes your cowardice and spin it to be a bad thing.    Look no further than those most opposed to his act of courage  in order to locate those who are cowards on this board.   

I hope the freshman kill it and cooch1 i hope hunter holds the trophy. Looks like you never lifted much based on pic.

I hope you are kidding with this. If he is who his sig line says he is (and I'm pretty sure that it is him), he has lifted a weight or two in his life, along with a few hundred opponents as well.

I hope the freshman kill it and cooch1 i hope hunter holds the trophy. Looks like you never lifted much based on pic.

That time of year to get my post count up.  This one falls under the heading, "you can't fix stupid."

Hey, Cooch1, remember meeting me?  1987, hotel parking lot, Greenbelt, Md?  OK, maybe not.  Your Cyclones had a goog weekend that year.  Those that don't know, the guy in the avatar photo is both an individual NCAA Div 1 champ and a member of a team Div 1 championship, so he knows more than most posters here what goes on behind the scenes of a championship program.  And it is always the coach's decision who to put in the lineup.  Not the athlete's, not the parents, not the boosters.  He gets pressure from all them, but it's his call.  Having said that, Tom Ryan is not a doctor, so I can't second guess him on this one, didn't see Hunter in the room the last two weeks and what advice/input Ryan got.  Like Cooch, though, I admire more athletes like the NFL guy who say, my life isn't going to end at 22, I have a tough decision to make.  Oh, someone said this isn't like the head injury issue.  How would you like to go the next 50 years of your life with limited use of your arms due to (preventable) injuries?

That time of year to get my post count up.  This one falls under the heading, "you can't fix stupid."

Hey, Cooch1, remember meeting me?  1987, hotel parking lot, Greenbelt, Md?  OK, maybe not.  Your Cyclones had a goog weekend that year.  Those that don't know, the guy in the avatar photo is both an individual NCAA Div 1 champ and a member of a team Div 1 championship, so he knows more than most posters here what goes on behind the scenes of a championship program.  And it is always the coach's decision who to put in the lineup.  Not the athlete's, not the parents, not the boosters.  He gets pressure from all them, but it's his call.  Having said that, Tom Ryan is not a doctor, so I can't second guess him on this one, didn't see Hunter in the room the last two weeks and what advice/input Ryan got.  Like Cooch, though, I admire more athletes like the NFL guy who say, my life isn't going to end at 22, I have a tough decision to make.  Oh, someone said this isn't like the head injury issue.  How would you like to go the next 50 years of your life with limited use of your arms due to (preventable) injuries?

what the hell is a goog weekend?  Too much grog for me last night....

it's just an odd situation, I dislocated an elbow wrestling in college so i can somewhat relate, but it's odd to see a wrestler with 2 elbow injuries at the same time.

on top of that, TRYING TO COMPETE. That's tough. It was obviously admirable but at the same time tough to watch such a great wrestler at 40% in the toughest competition in the land.

does anyone know specifics on his injuries? elbow injuries suck.

and on a sidenote, I've seen lots of guys who look like Cooch1 at the gym....SOCIAL HOUR. lol

Hunter is an inspiration. Those of us who have stepped on to the mat with debilitating injury and did it for the sake of accomplishing goals and in order to help the team can relate and certainly hold his efforts in high regard. Those of you pissing and moaning likely are threatened by his efforts for fear of facing your own unwillingness to pay the price for accomplishment. You hate he exposes your cowardice and spin it to be a bad thing. Look no further than those most opposed to his act of courage in order to locate those who are cowards on this board.

Let me guess. You are old, white, and wear cargo shorts

You can't picture how a coach would put a kid out there if he demands to go out and wrestle and the doctor says hes good to go and won't injure himself more?

Can't put yourself in that wrestlers place?

I can. I was bleeding out of my ears during matches in between hospital trips to drain them and I still have difficulty hearing because of the cauliflower but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Maybe that's stupid but it is what it is and we're all adults making our own decisions. 

I don't think LemonPie blames Hunter one bit. I believe the he is putting the blame solely on Tom Ryan.

And like I said is Tom Ryan the Doctor? He is his coach, not his mother. It's not a simple thing to overrule the Doctor who actually is responsible for determining the wrestlers health status AND his wrestler who is an adult saying he is good to wrestle.

Let me guess. You are old, white, and wear cargo shorts

Look here hoss,

I may be old and of anglo descent, but I don't wear cargo shorts.   Quite frankly, I resent that ridiculous suggestion.   

I run and operate a pig farm.   We wear wranglers around here.   I've been watching you all tournament long and you seem like someone peed in your Cheerios.   I get it, your beloved Iowa wet the bed again.   Grow up though, or at least pretend.