Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

Personal Attacks

You're no fun! I've been biting my nails waiting for the next Gilman thread. This forum was built on berating the character of young  student-athletes who achievements conquer our own. You can't take that away from me!! How else am I supposed seek unhealthy means of self-validation? I'm moving to the high school forum. Good riddance!

See, that's exactly it  - what people are saying (rightly, IMHO) is that they are *not* trying their best. If we go to the usual PC nonsense and "positive comments only", this board will be as interesting as a saturday soccer match for 5 year olds. Hopefully, we don't have to go all the way down to that

No, actually, I think Kelly and Dynon really are trying their best. Those two aren't exactly the types of guys who will ever light up competition of this caliber.

Guys like Telford, Jevs, Mayes, etc. need a good slap in the face of a wakeup call though. For Jevs it's probably too late since he made his bed and some fellow stud underperformers decided to mail it into the consider too, but at least Telford and Mayes have the chops to go all the way to 3rd if the decide to show up.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

i understand getting mad when your favorite sports team doesn't do well but i really dont understand the urge to vent your frustrations about the athletic performance of college kids on an internet message forum. 

that doesn't mean we have to make every comment a fluff job. but these guys all want to win. if they didn't they never could have gotten to this tournament and out worked and out trained hundreds of other super athletes. so they lose. so they wrestle like crap. BFD. the vast majority of every qualifier is going to very soon quit competing, get a job, start a family and remember their NCAA tournament matches only during charming anecdotes at cocktail parties and family holidays. 

this is another reason why we need a sustainable professional domestic circuit. i still dont understand the urge to rag on guys but at least theyd be professionals and not students. 

I think people are forgetting that, despite maybe not being on a team that is in the running for the team race, or one that has attracted a lot of fans during the dual portion of the season, these are the best of the best in this tournament.

It isn't surprising when two top 20 athletes meet and the result is not what the odds would favor. A lot of these match-ups are toss ups in any one meeting it isn't unless you get multiple meetings where the higher ranked guy is likely to win more meetings.

Personal attacks on student athletes should only be allowed if the guy wrestles for Iowa.

There we go.  This is the true spirit of compromise and brotherhood!

My vote is the Kelly and Moore attacks are beyond the pale.  Never has either been anything less than a fierce competitor from what I've seen.  

Gilman -  meh. 

when a kid does what Gilman did when he try the slam and hurt some one all gloves are off. I been rooting against him ever since , see really working hes in the semis LOL

but a kid like Kelly trying his best just doesnt have it leave him alone that my point!

Frank C

Personal attacks clearly have no place in wrestling but when we start with the "positive only" mantra I have to agree that this place (and wrestling) would become even more boring than it already is.

I agree with dickhead.

i understand getting mad when your favorite sports team doesn't do well but i really dont understand the urge to vent your frustrations about the athletic performance of college kids on an internet message forum. 

that doesn't mean we have to make every comment a fluff job. but these guys all want to win. if they didn't they never could have gotten to this tournament and out worked and out trained hundreds of other super athletes. so they lose. so they wrestle like crap. BFD. the vast majority of every qualifier is going to very soon quit competing, get a job, start a family and remember their NCAA tournament matches only during charming anecdotes at cocktail parties and family holidays. 

this is another reason why we need a sustainable professional domestic circuit. i still don't understand the urge to rag on guys but at least theyd be professionals and not students. 

It is simply part of American sports culture.   I agree with keeping it civil and certainly not beating up on the little guys but college wrestlers are fair game.   Buy your ticket, show up to the venue and heckle away.   Or on the internet even better.   If the athlete don't want their feelings hurt, they certainly aren't obligated to come hear and read what's written about them and others.   

We've got one idiot on this board going after high school phenom Aaron Pico and all it serves is to expose his sad and miserable life.   Personally I believe it's a good thing that he inadvertently exposes himself in such a manner.   

As for the athletes who bring it upon themselves with their temper tantrums, classless behavior, and just abysmal style of wrestling, I think they are great too and the banter generated because of them is just fine by me.