Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Session 3 Discussion

Gadson is so strange to watch.  He took no offensive shots in that match, just reshot/counters.  It's not stalling, he's definitely not the only guy to be like that ever, it's just a little perturbing.  His counters are so fluid and picture perfect, it makes you wonder how good he would be if he just initiated attacks.

Evans exists - there is no stalling...

Because it is a scoring error - clearly.  The honorable thing is to not take points you are not owed.  It is not a judgment call - it is a scoring issue.   Realbuto did not win - that is inarguable.  Cornell will take it and run with it though.  

I am not going to question anyone's motivations here.  Everyone left the mat - by rule, the result should seem to stand.

However, if Cornell did offer to let Miller through, that would be awfully sporting and inspiring.

Come on, this situation with Miller/Realbuto sucks but have to admit that Realbuto would have behaved differently if he new it was 100% required to have backs.  He was close to it there in end.  Kid goes all out at the end as evidenced in this match and others.  

I didn't see the match, but maybe Hartman is just better than people give him credit for?  He did finish ahead of McIntosh last year.

Hartman is a stud. His TD and Smack's non TD are two of the closest calls you can get. Great match.

Because it is a scoring error - clearly.  The honorable thing is to not take points you are not owed.  It is not a judgment call - it is a scoring issue.   Realbuto did not win - that is inarguable.  Cornell will take it and run with it though.  

The most he should do is honor the decision of the protest committee (whatever that consists of in this case), but to say he should give the win which his wrestler was awarded back, or else he is not honorable is a huge stretch to me.

Everyone left the mat - by rule, the result should seem to stand.

Not necessarily. Note the last sentence.

For a tournament, the correction shall be made by the referee and shall take place before the contestants leave the mat area or the bout sheet leaves the scorer’s table. Any error not resolved by the referee shall be arbitrated by the tournament committee.

All you have  to do is look to Jack Nicklaus, Dan Gable, other coaches who have let illegal slam competitors go through by taking a 1 second default.  

It's pretty simple: Do what you know is right - all the time.   Miller won, except for a screw up by a volunteer scorekeeper.  Not sure how it can be argued. 

It's not exactly like the Dardanes Stieber match, though: in that match, the scoreboard was wrong with 10 seconds left to go, which influenced Dardanes to make the decision to cut Stieber and lose by a correct store of 9-8. However, Realbuto-Miller actually ENDED 10-9 Miller in regulation; the score in the end of the match in fact proved that Miller should be the winner. Not to be pedantic, but clarifying that difference.

This coming from a bReal fan btw. Just informing people.

It's not exactly like the Dardanes Stieber match, though: in that match, the scoreboard was wrong with 10 seconds left to go, which influenced Dardanes to make the decision to cut Stieber and lose by a correct store of 9-8. However, Realbuto-Miller actually ENDED 10-9 Miller in regulation; the score in the end of the match in fact proved that Miller should be the winner. Not to be pedantic, but clarifying that difference.

This coming from a bReal fan btw. Just informing people.

That is the correct and very meaningful distinction. This match was Miller's. Just as Kent state coaches should have known the score (and in fact did ask officials to clarify score based on Kent state's Twitter feed), Cornell coaches should have known too and realbuto should have tried for backs. The score was wrong, miller won, and if realbuto in fact goes on to win against ness there will be a huge asterisk next to his finish.

All you have  to do is look to Jack Nicklaus, Dan Gable, other coaches who have let illegal slam competitors go through by taking a 1 second default.  

It's pretty simple: Do what you know is right - all the time.   Miller won, except for a screw up by a volunteer scorekeeper.  Not sure how it can be argued. 

I agree with you about everything besides that I think the Tournament Committee should do  this and not Koll.  There isn't a protocol, that I know of, for forfeiting a match which has already happened, and everyone in charge of scoring has decided that you won.

I agree with you about everything besides that I think the Tournament Committee should do  this and not Koll.  There isn't a protocol, that I know of, for forfeiting a match which has already happened, and everyone in charge of scoring has decided that you won.

Totally agreed.  I expect the NCAA will swallow the rule book on this one and let it stand as "match completed.  That is why Koll needs to stand up.  or Real himself.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Realbuto do the right thing.  He seems like an honorable kid.  

We'll see. 

Gimp -

This is why we count on you when we're in the office multitasking.

So, does anyone know if the bout sheet leave the mat area?

Not sure how much sarcasm throughout this one since you quoted the duplicate and I assume you know it's paperless.I don't think they're keeping spare sheets as backup.