Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

I hate to root against kids...but

I love rooting for guys like them just to piss you folks off.  Winning is winning, it's not these young guys' job to entertain us.

If matches were ref'd appropriately, then we wouldn't see consistent 2-1 matches.  They would be dinged in the first period and would be forced to wrestle.  If they won after being forced to wrestle, then more power to them.  But, until that happens...I am pulling for whoever they wrestle against. 

"If they won after being forced to wrestle"

I think you mean, "if they won after being forced to disregard solid fundamentals and positioning"  

You don't understand what wrestling is at a high level.

"If they won after being forced to wrestle"

I think you mean, "if they won after being forced to disregard solid fundamentals and positioning"  

You don't understand what wrestling is at a high level.

I don't?  Ok, if you say so.  Does this mean that the other 328 wrestlers who create action and score points do not have solid fundamentals and positioning...or is it limited to these two non-shot taking wrestlers?

Not everyone at the D1 top level has the talent, skill or ability to generate slick offense every match, or even in most matches. Some have to win by simply using positioning and being gritty. Their job is to win, not please the viewer. That being said, it's not always very exciting to watch these wrestlers, so it's not your prerogative to root for them. It's also not their prerogative to be exciting to watch.

there are 2 wrestlers in the tournament that I just want to lose.  Jason Tsirtsis and Mike Evans. 

They are probably good kids, but I simply cannot stand to watch them wrestle. 

I just can't root against somebody with that 'stache. Though it wouldn't bother me if he loses.

Now Tsirtsis...... I want him to lose because I just don't want to watch him wrestle anymore....... PLEASE!

I still blame the refs. Forget the lack of shots, what about a parallel figure 4 thigh pry while just clamping on the bottom man for a minute? That is not wrestling.

I will be rooting for Habat tonight.

Evans could literally tell the official when shaking at the beginning of the match "Hey, fyi, I'm Mike Evans, and I'm not going to do anything but ride an ankle for the next 7 minutes." and these refs would just shrug, "ok, sounds good it me."  He hasn't shot since mid-January.  I  don't know how anyone in the tourney can get a stall call against them if Evans doesn't - the entire rule should be erased, it no longer has any legitimacy.

That match wasn't as bad as B1Gs.

I am dreading the Stache stare and glare vs. the Matt Brown ride in the semis though.... Ugh.  I don't know which is more brutal, but when combined in one match, it is unbearable. But due to the team race implications, I am going to watch every miserable second of it.

It's all part of the master plan. He wants to. "Conserve oxygen".

Fwiw I wasn't really paying attention to the match but when I saw it was 1-1 OT I thought "this is the least surprising thing to ever happen in wrestling".

Agreed. They are great athletes that are content with winning by 1 without any offensive points. Kind of sad when talking about wrestlers ranked so highly.

Tshirts all the way! Tough, smart wrestler.

Also, didn't people used to dog on Kyle Dake for wrestling defensively and winning by a few points??

I hope everyone's having a fun time in StL. What a wild tournament it has been this year!

Tshirts all the way! Tough, smart wrestler.

Also, didn't people used to dog on Kyle Dake for wrestling defensively and winning by a few points??

I hope everyone's having a fun time in StL. What a wild tournament it has been this year!

Dake won 137 matches, 83 by bonus, with 44 falls - not even comparable.

What's odd about Tshirts is that unlike Evans, he seems to have the ability, especially on his feet, to really open and dominate, but he chooses to play it conservative. 

Evans could literally tell the official when shaking at the beginning of the match "Hey, fyi, I'm Mike Evans, and I'm not going to do anything but ride an ankle for the next 7 minutes." and these refs would just shrug, "ok, sounds good it me."  He hasn't shot since mid-January.  I  don't know how anyone in the tourney can get a stall call against them if Evans doesn't - the entire rule should be erased, it no longer has any legitimacy.

Aint this the dang truth. Evans is the biggest ankle hugger in D1 wrestling since Derek St. John. 

:-)

Edited by TBar1977

That match wasn't as bad as B1Gs.

I am dreading the Stache stare and glare vs. the Matt Brown ride in the semis though.... Ugh.  I don't know which is more brutal, but when combined in one match, it is unbearable. But due to the team race implications, I am going to watch every miserable second of it.

I am LOL quite hard at your comment, nerd. May I kindly offer you some stomach medicine? (asked with all due respect)

Edited by TBar1977

Tshirtsis is "just" a golden pylon. A great, boring wrestler. There are lots of them around.

Evans though is the Iowa fan favorite, following in the footsteps of Metcalf and Ramos with the attitude and persona to match. Given that, the lack of action in his matches is just jarring, like "something's not right here".

This is sad, not funny ... 

I had three non-wrestling buddies over last night to watch NCAA.  They were watching with me through Tsirtsis - Clagon match.  They thought it was funny that I was so upset about them allowing Tsirtsis' 2nd period ride ... After the match, they got up and had a beer in the kitchen and didn't come back in for 30 minutes ... 

I get it- a win is a win in the NCAA tourney, but the officials simply have to do something to combat stalling.  

I've been critical of Evens cure fro insomnia style, but the fact is that miserable style probably nets him far better results than if he were to open up and match technical ability with the field.    Given the talent and coaching he has, I think Evans has done better than what could be expected.