Sign in to follow this  
stp

Did Ian Miller win?

I think this was a situation where the coaches not challenging the call shouldnt be so dispositive here. It is blatantly clear that the refs blew the call. That should be enough to change the ruling. They saved face by putting it on the coaches. 

So would the committee's decision been different had Kent State had no challenges left since they seem to be basing their decision on the Kent State coaches not challenging the score?

KSU coaches did an unofficial challenge by calling the ref over and asking him if the score was correct. They did not issue an official challenge by waving the flag. However, I'm not even sure if you can issue an official challenge about the scoreboard, though; the refs might have rejected it.

Miller got screwed.  He wrestled a GREAT match for 6 minutes and 50 seconds.  The lapse went hand in hand with the scoring trouble which is totally out of his control.  If possible, I think it would be fair to reverse the decision, even though I would love to see Cornell get into the mix at the top.      

Even if the refs got it wrong, once they raise a wrestler's hand, that's it.

This should only be true if the decision makers are incapable of rational thought, which I guess is probably the case here. If you have confidence in decision makers, they should have the authority to make the right call. This is garbage.

I think this was a situation where the coaches not challenging the call shouldnt be so dispositive here. It is blatantly clear that the refs blew the call. That should be enough to change the ruling. They saved face by putting it on the coaches. 

I agree in principle, but that is the rule. I have seen it happen before albeit not at this level of importance. I mean I am not some sort of rules guru but this is one I have been made to understand several times over the years. It is not some super secret rule..... coaches know about this. 

I know of no other sport where the refs can get the score wrong, the coach asks them if the score is right, the ref says yes, the ref is wrong and too bad, the match stands.

I believe they should rewrestle the match.

I know of no other sport where the refs can get the score wrong, the coach asks them if the score is right, the ref says yes, the ref is wrong and too bad, the match stands.

It has happened in major league baseball where the umpire gets the count wrong and is asked, again is wrong, and the game continues.

http://deadspin.com/umpires-use-replay-to-check-count-get-it-wrong-anyway-1566515868

I have watched these things happen in many sports. It is part of sport. Errors are made and it is unfortunate but it is part of sport.

It has happened in major league baseball where the umpire gets the count wrong and is asked, again is wrong, and the game continues.

http://deadspin.com/umpires-use-replay-to-check-count-get-it-wrong-anyway-1566515868

I have watched these things happen in many sports. It is part of sport. Errors are made and it is unfortunate but it is part of sport.

The count - yea, maybe.  But the score of the game?  If you know of other instances of this occuring, please share.  I can't come up with any offhand.

While I think this is a closed issue for this tournament, it is clearly about the dumbest thing I can remember at this level, a black eye for the sport, and clearly an issue not over in the long term.

Wrestling worked very hard (including many of the hard core fans who post here) to get this kind of coverage.... a growing coverage. But make no mistake, this coverage only has a tenuous hold. This sort of thing is clearly NOT good. The casual fan who tunes in says; WTF!? The hard core fan says WTF?! And I am sure the "suits" who give wrestling this coverage will probably look back and say; WTF?!

The count - yea, maybe.  But the score of the game?  If you know of other instances of this occuring, please share.  I can't come up with any offhand.

Isn't an at bat's individual matchup in the team race similar to an individual match in this tournament's team race?

Most sports stop play when points have been scored, thus making it a controversial call that leads to the wrong score rather the wrong score. Wrestling is different in that it is dynamic so maybe looking at judging would be more apt. Ever any issues in gymnastics or ice skating with scoring?

While I think this is a closed issue for this tournament, it is clearly about the dumbest thing I can remember at this level, a black eye for the sport, and clearly an issue not over in the long term.

Wrestling worked very hard (including many of the hard core fans who post here) to get this kind of coverage.... a growing coverage. But make no mistake, this coverage only has a tenuous hold. This sort of thing is clearly NOT good. The casual fan who tunes in says; WTF!? The hard core fan says WTF?! And I am sure the "suits" who give wrestling this coverage will probably look back and say; WTF?!

Agreed that this kind of nonsense, especially the bureaucratic B.S. which will serve as the justification, damages the integrity of the sport...but let's be real (no pun intended) that ESPN doesn't give a damn about the integrity of the sport like we do.  I mean just look at the other tournament which is happening right now, not to mention the constant NFL barrage of indecency.  I have seen UFC decisions thousands of times worse than this.  They sell controversy; it might help our coverage.

The ever constant allowance of trolling on this forum is saddening. Moderation needs to begin. My love of wrestling is really only rivaled by my disdain for ridiculous comments made for trolling purposes. TFBJR, be a contribution to the forum and stop the idiocy.

Huh?  Because I think that Koll should be a leader of men?  I'm consistent, and certainly not trolling, regardless of whether or not you like my position:  Pursue excellence, don't cut the corner, and be an example to your men. 

BTW - the name calling is a great contribution.