dhun

Leniency counting backpoints

Do you guys feel that refs should be more lenient for counting back points. I feel it would make mat wrestling more exciting, and give wrestlers an incentive to ride more. I remember I was wrestling in a match and Garry Kessel was the ref. I was down 0-2 in the third and I'm on top for the third. I hit a Churella tilt (some people call it a ball and chain tilt) and my opponent starts flopping left and right. Kessel said, "one, one, one, one, one, one". I didn't get any points and lost the match. Yep, I got Kessled.

My pet peeve is when it takes 2 or 3 seconds for the ref to get himself on the mat to begin the count. Of course the guy ends up rolling out of it after a one count for no back points.

I hate that too. With the video review rule, refs should count using their intuition, then if they are wrong, the coach has the right to challenge. Or I guess the coach can just challenge if there were back points, honestly, I don't know all the rules. I think I have a good proposition, once someone is on their back passed 45 degrees, they need to get back up to 90 degrees for the count to stop. Edited by dhun

Do you guys feel that refs should be more lenient for counting back points. I feel it would make mat wrestling more exciting, and give wrestlers an incentive to ride more. I remember I was wrestling in a match and Garry Kessel was the ref. I was down 0-2 in the third and I'm on top for the third. I hit a Churella tilt (some people call it a ball and chain tilt) and my opponent starts flopping left and right. Kessel said, "one, one, one, one, one, one". I didn't get any points and lost the match. Yep, I got Kessled.

If you were winning the match then no back points but since you were losing the ref should have been lenient and at least gave you enough points to go to overtime. 

I beleive that a lot of college officials are too liberal regarding near fall.  Often near fall counts start prior to actually criteria being met (mainly above 45 degrees) and many turn three seconds into five seconds.  A lot of these tilts have everyone yelling for near fall but when you watch them, they haven't hit two seconds but still get near fall.  Roll throughs are also liberal in my opinion.

Also, a referee doesn't have to be on the mat to begin a near fall count, nor does he have to visually show his count.  Many of times I count in my head if I see the exposure but out of position.  Unfortunaltely there are some that won't count until they are physically down on the mat.  I actually think most of the better college referees do this, albiet quicker than what I think is correct.

Edited by Rakkasan91