Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

DOWN GOES GILMAN!

Gilman is reaping the fruits of how he'd acted  the entire year, one of the top punks of the season.  Someday wrestling will be over for Mr. Gilman and the real world will be a major eye opener for a kid with his attitude issues.

A lot of hate on these forums towards these student-athletes.

If the worst thing he's done in his life is go into another teams huddle and the Waters slam, he's in pretty good shape.

A 4th place finish at Nationals is pretty darn good.

He showed great character and attitude today. He came back from being pinned last night to pin the returning runner-up and lost a hard fought match to the number 1 ranked kid. The people on here have bigger attitude issues than him and it's not even close. It takes a real man to criticize a student athlete on the Internet that you have never met in your life.

What attitude issues did he show in this tournament? He made exactly one frustration mistake this entire season, yet is vilified because of it. Do you know him personally?

I was rooting for him at worlds last year,but I did see him lose his cool the one match he lost and showed poor sportsmanship going after the guy after the match ended(from what I remember). You also have Gilman running into opposing teams huddles before matches is disrespectful. The illegal slam definitely showed him losing his cool trying to hurt waters, and then going after him and being held back by officials. Oh, then you have him being a real poor sport jumping off the podium at Big Tens not getting pictures with the rest of the wrestlers who actually stayed for pictures. 

Unless you are an Iowa homer, most do not care for his antics.

They are all kids / young men.  But compare just about anyone from Iowa (coaches, wrestlers, entourage) to Tyler Wilps, the wrestlers from tOSU / PSU / OSU etc. and you can see these guys are not being given the proper leadership.  I think that nonsense was ignored when Iowa was doling out interstellar domination, but those days are over. It's time to behave like gentlemen and respect your opponents.   Imagine if Iowa had a guy as dominating as Logan, Ringer, Gwiz, etc.?  They'd likely be speaking in 3rd person and mocking their opponents. 

The cave men days are over.  Let's instill more in these guys than deer killing analogies and an us against them mindset. 

re: point 3, this is a line from the Paul Giamatti movie WIN WIN: "I think he knows who I am now."

I mean, you think guys would know by now that saying "I never heard of him" is classic bulletin board material. 

EDIT: point 3 is from lu_alum's post on page one.  for some reason the quote didn't get linked.

Edited by lightweight

I find them pretty comparable to any of those teams. The only team that is continually mocked and disrespected is Iowa. We have 2 pages of people bashing a kid and gloating on his loss. There's wrestlers all over Twitter that mock Iowa, where's the leadership for those wrestlers? I don't see any current Iowa guys gloating on social media in the middle of the season. It was a great analogy, he won in overtime after coming back from a deficit, he wore Dance out and won.

They are all kids / young men.  But compare just about anyone from Iowa (coaches, wrestlers, entourage) to Tyler Wilps, the wrestlers from tOSU / PSU / OSU etc. and you can see these guys are not being given the proper leadership.  I think that nonsense was ignored when Iowa was doling out interstellar domination, but those days are over. It's time to behave like gentlemen and respect your opponents.   Imagine if Iowa had a guy as dominating as Logan, Ringer, Gwiz, etc.?  They'd likely be speaking in 3rd person and mocking their opponents. 

The cave men days are over.  Let's instill more in these guys than deer killing analogies and an us against them mindset. 

Please spare us the sermon on proper leadership, when you can't demonstrate the respect you find lacking in anyone from Iowa. Gilman is just another guy who won and then lost. Gilman said said that Moisy must be tough, because he's in the semis. Good enough. The better wrestler won, and congrats to Zeke.

All this thread does is reveal the hatred and prejudice of some of you. I feel sorry for you.

While I think that the whole deer thing and then proceeding to get pinned is hilarious, I don't personally find the way that Gilman or the other Iowa guys present themselves to be disrespectful or anything less than entertaining.  To me, they just come off as guys who speak their minds and have an overabundance of self confidence.  And again, for me, they're entertaining as all get-out.  They just share a different culture among themselves; there's nothing wrong with that.  For the record, I'm a Wyoming / Northern Colorado fan.  

Although I was a big critic of Gillman and his behavior this year....

I am going to hope that another year of maturity helps mold this talented wrestler..... into someone that we can simply talk about his wrestling feats rather than of the other BS.

Am I am not an Iowa fan.