Sign in to follow this  
Coach_J

DOWN GOES GILMAN!

I'm sure Gilman is a reasonable human being to those of you that have the same values as he does!!  He has earned the disrespect that most have for him by his desire to be seen as more than he really is and his less than acceptable behavior on the mat!!

For someone to put themselves above the likes of McDonough and Ramos they should not be getting decked by Sam Brancale and (as good as Zeke Moise is ) a true freshman with 14 loses!

Most sports fans appreciate a little humility along with talent in their sports favorites,,,,,Just saying!

Many of the posts on here that support Gilman rally around how he acted at the NCAAs.  Has it occured to anyone that perhaps the Iowa administration and not just TB layed it out to Thomas just how they felt about the Waters incident and the pattern of behavior previous to that match and kinda layed down the law on what he might face if he continued to shine a poor light on the Univerfsity of Iowa???  Therfe were a number of fans that thought that a stiff penalty including possible suspension that could have eliminated Gilman from the post season was warranted.

if indeed that happened then I applaud those responsible with protecting Iowa's image!  Student athletes should appreciate the opportunity that they have and put their  best foot forward.  I can see a slip here or there but to build a negative image so early in one's career is not something a program wants to hang their reputation on.

Gilman's behavior at the nationls is a step in the right direction and I hope it grows on him!

I'm not saying he is a changed person but though old dogs can't learn new tricks, I believe Gilman can still improve his conduct and be a more worthy representative of the University of Iowa.  Hell, I was less than a fan of the Brands as wrestlers for much the same reasons I do not have much good to say about Gilman.  I can still remember one or both of them almost coming to blows with Jimmy Martin and/or Kenny Chertow.  However my opinion of Tom has changed as I have listened to his interviews and realize that he has grown as a man.......attitudes can change and some times it is simply a must to fit in to society.

Cael Sanderson.  Kyven Gadson.  Almost anyone but Iowa.  Iowa wrestlers are largely douchebags.  Maybe they grow up after graduation, maybe they don't.  I was always a Brands fan but they are both a couple of cartoon characters and with the exception of the Iowa apologists, everyone is laughing AT them and not WITH them.  Great wrestlers, probably decent coaches, they get the crowd fired up, but they are both still dicks.

If someone achieves a high level of success and acts like a knucklehead in the process, there will be a lot of hate. If they handle themselves worthy of respect and are successful. There will still be some detractors. The world is is full of of little boys walking around in grown men's bodies, truth is, growth can come at any time.( As long as there is a heartbeat and breathing)

LkwdSteve,

I know I can't be considered a diehard Iowa fan due to my origins.  Still, Iowa is my replacement team.

With the above said I have been pretty respectful of Tom and tOSU.  The only negative history I have, and I respect/understand(but don't like) the "possible" reasons for doing so, was when I believed Ryan "possibly" held out some of his wrestlers in marquee match-ups.  Other than that, I expected tOSU to be the front runners to win and really think Tom is one of the best Overall DI coaches.  He made a name for himself at Hofstra and has been a monster recruiter at tOSU.  He is a good Marketer of the program and if not for a steady major injury trend, he may already have multiple titles.

Also,

tOSU finally got the right coach.  Just like PSU, they are in States that have incredibly rich and talented wrestling.  If they can keep recruiting their best High Schoolers, they will continue to have a foot up on the field.

Also,

tOSU finally got the right coach.  Just like PSU, they are in States that have incredibly rich and talented wrestling.  If they can keep recruiting their best High Schoolers, they will continue to have a foot up on the field.

True. 

"was when I believed Ryan "possibly" held out some of his wrestlers in marquee match-ups."

A number of fans have expressed this without the "possibly" that you have added.

I wonder how the Ohio State wrestlers, the dads of those current wrestlers, and former TOSU wrestlers, would answer the question "does Tom Ryan hold out wrestlers to preserve seeds?"

The answer is yes, he sandbags to preserve seeds which is a dick move. Other coaches do it too and it is a dick move on their part too. A simple solution is to penalize seeding when wrestlers are held back from matches against other ranked opponents.

Looking for trouble in the opposing teams huddle is bs. Did you see what he did? Did you watch that match? The slam on his part was totally absurd. Having confidence that you are better than your predecessor is something that you should have. He's not perfect by any means but the only reason that he is ostracized so much is because he wrestles for the University of Iowa.

Confidence that he's better?  He's delusional.   Next we'll see him diving head first into a trash can and slaiming he nailed a 10

Gilman is reaping the fruits of how he'd acted  the entire year, one of the top punks of the season.  Someday wrestling will be over for Mr. Gilman and the real world will be a major eye opener for a kid with his attitude issues.

I love it.  I'd be lying if I called it any other way.   A 5 foot 3 guy, weighing barely over 120 pounds, pounds his chest and mean mugs anyone who will listen,.    

Like a  Chihuahua dog, a terrible bark, but then gets rolled and decked by another 120 pound man.   The mean mug persists.   What would happen on the day this little man squares up against a non woman sized man?    A dispute over a parking spot against a 200 pounder arises and Mr Gilman awakes in intensive care.    A catheter and **** bag firmly in place for his accommodation .    The big bark little man lays there in despair.   lol

I love it. I'd be lying if I called it any other way. A 5 foot 3 guy, weighing barely over 120 pounds, pounds his chest and mean mugs anyone who will listen,.

Like a Chihuahua dog, a terrible bark, but then gets rolled and decked by another 120 pound man. The mean mug persists. What would happen on the day this little man squares up against a non woman sized man? A dispute over a parking spot against a 200 pounder arises and Mr Gilman awakes in intensive care. A catheter and **** bag firmly in place for his accommodation . The big bark little man lays there in despair. lol

A collective FU from all the "woman sized" wrestlers.

3c87d0bae0040cb721927e4160ed6cbe.jpg

Edited by PapaBearSLIM

The answer is yes, he sandbags to preserve seeds which is a dick move. Other coaches do it too and it is a dick move on their part too. A simple solution is to penalize seeding when wrestlers are held back from matches against other ranked opponents.

Let's see this year's Ohio State list. Be specific.

No accusations just generalization, I have no opinion on Tom Ryan as a coach, recruiter, or admin. My issue is that he and other coaches have held back wrestlers to preserve seeding which is stupid. I don't have to specifics in front of me and it isn't worth a huge debate.

LkwdSteve,

I know I can't be considered a diehard Iowa fan due to my origins.  Still, Iowa is my replacement team.

With the above said I have been pretty respectful of Tom and tOSU.  The only negative history I have, and I respect/understand(but don't like) the "possible" reasons for doing so, was when I believed Ryan "possibly" held out some of his wrestlers in marquee match-ups.  Other than that, I expected tOSU to be the front runners to win and really think Tom is one of the best Overall DI coaches.  He made a name for himself at Hofstra and has been a monster recruiter at tOSU.  He is a good Marketer of the program and if not for a steady major injury trend, he may already have multiple titles.

Likewise LkwdSteve. I'm an Iowa fan and don't recall ever saying a single bad thing about Ryan, or tOSU for that matter. I also think like what MSU said about tOSU's potential, given the quality of HS wrestling in the state.

No accusations just generalization, I have no opinion on Tom Ryan as a coach, recruiter, or admin. My issue is that he and other coaches have held back wrestlers to preserve seeding which is stupid. I don't have to specifics in front of me and it isn't worth a huge debate.

You are making an accusation, which has included the words "dick" and "stupid". You are claiming a generalization but the one coach you have named is Tom Ryan.

If it's not worth a huge debate, I don't think we would have seen past Ohio State wrestlers plus parents of current wrestlers weigh in on this specific subject (holding out wrestlers for other than health reasons) in defense of Tom Ryan. That's a pretty big deal for them to speak out and should never have been necessary.