Sign in to follow this  
dougb

Scoring Question Eblen of Missouri

Track wrestling does not list his(Eblen of Missouri) points scored in the 2 matches he won, I know he was DQ'd in his last match, but do they take away the team points he did score, or is it just a mistake that has not been corrected yet?

Yes, I'm a Mizzou fan and I'm not defending Eblen's incredibly stupid move, but I always thought this was just a flat out stupid rule.  If you're DQ'ed, then you lose the match, and you're kicked out of the tourny, and you cannot score any more to help your team, I get it.  But why take away pts. that were already earned before any of this occurred?  Doesn't make sense.

Yes, I'm a Mizzou fan and I'm not defending Eblen's incredibly stupid move, but I always thought this was just a flat out stupid rule.  If you're DQ'ed, then you lose the match, and you're kicked out of the tourny, and you cannot score any more to help your team, I get it.  But why take away pts. that were already earned before any of this occurred?  Doesn't make sense.

I guess trying to make such actions as prohibitive as possible.

Because they want to discourage really stupid moves and make the consequences so severe they just do not happen.

In a state I coached in, a kid (there is a back story here), who was the heavy favorite to win the title, did a move in wrestle backs that was without a doubt beyond the pale, lost his points, team lost the tournament by a half a point.

Want to know why hyped up giants in professional football never take on the refs? Because the consequences are draconian. How could it be any other way?

A slam and blatant head butt are completely different.  A slam is usually part of an actual scoring move or attempted scoring move.  A head butt is not.

So Eblens takedown attempt, that ended in a headbutt, wasn't an actual scoring move?  Not sure how your logic works.  If you consider the headbutt an intent to hurt the opponent, you have to consider the slam the same or worse.

And the slam from Gilman at the national duals wasn't a scoring attempt...

So Eblens takedown attempt, that ended in a headbutt, wasn't an actual scoring move? Not sure how your logic works. If you consider the headbutt an intent to hurt the opponent, you have to consider the slam the same or worse.

And the slam from Gilman at the national duals wasn't a scoring attempt...

I sat right by that mat. I think you meant to say, "Eblen's head butt that he tried to mask as a TD attempt."

I sat right by that mat. I think you meant to say, "Eblen's head butt that he tried to mask as a TD attempt."

I was right there as well the head butt came before any attempt at the blast double.  I agree he masked it with the blast double attempt.  I am a huge Mizzou fan and like the way Eblen wrestles but this was not part of the actual scoring move.  Once again the head butt came before any attempt at the blast double not a takedown attempt that ended in a head butt.

They should have DQ'd Metcalf in 2009

then tOSU would have won the team title. (Although, I don't think it was flagrant enough to DQ him) Ah well, hopefully, third time is a charm for tOSU this time!! Edited by Buckeyebison

where's the video link for this alleged head butt?

This Flo All-Access Video for Mizzou is the first time I've actually seen the headbutt.  It doesn't show what led up to that point, but Eblen was getting beaten pretty soundly.  I'm no doubt a Mizzou homer, but the headbutt wasn't nearly as flagrant/obvious as I expected.  Did Eblen deserve to be DQ'd?

This Flo All-Access Video for Mizzou is the first time I've actually seen the headbutt.  It doesn't show what led up to that point, but Eblen was getting beaten pretty soundly.  I'm no doubt a Mizzou homer, but the headbutt wasn't nearly as flagrant/obvious as I expected.  Did Eblen deserve to be DQ'd?

I think in all sports there is a larger emphasis on protecting the head area.  Eblen was out of control with that sequence, whether intentional or not, so I can't really fault the ref.