Sign in to follow this  
John79

Cael and Jason Peters meet Sammy Henson....

Wow, Cael and crew are def going to be crossing paths with Sammy Henson at every top lightweight recruits house in Western and S East PA.  Sammy Henson does amazing work with lightweights.  Mosley, WOW!!!  

Does Spencer Lee take a peak at WVU?  Pitt has built a formidable program by grabbing a lot of WPIAL kids.  The proximity of WVU and Sammy Henson just threw a monkey wrench into the base of their team.  There's plenty to go around but with Edinborough, PSU, WVU and Pitt, the competition for top recruits just got tougher.  Thank god there s plenty of talent to go around out in Pitt.  

I think Wilps final appearance is huge for Pitt.  Solomon also had a decent tournament but Pitt needed to get one of their kids to the finals.  It helps with recruiting a lot.  Some of Pitt's big recruits have really not made any noise yet(Weircioch comes to mind).  I don't know why but I guess Reaghard beat him for the spot?  I do agree that Henson has had success everywhere he's been with lightweights.

Spencer Lee is so good he doesn't need a peak anywhere else if he's sold on Pennsylvania State. PSU has the added benefit that they also focus a lot on freestyle as well, and I am pretty sure that's where Lee is looking to land long term.

IMO,The best lightweight coach in the USA!

His level of intensity (surpassed only by his level of technique) earned "the Bull" a World Gold Medal when tested in the Islamic Republic of Iran ... worthy of respect.

I'm a Penn State fan, so I have an obvious bias, but I would think that Henson's presence at WVU is going to affect Pitt's recruiting more than Penn State's. If there is a talented kid from southwestern PA who isn't a top 50 recruit and doesn't think much of book learnin', WVU might be attractive option.

I'm a Penn State fan, so I have an obvious bias, but I would think that Henson's presence at WVU is going to affect Pitt's recruiting more than Penn State's. If there is a talented kid from southwestern PA who isn't a top 50 recruit and doesn't think much of book learnin', WVU might be attractive option.

100% agree. I think Peters is shakin' in his boots anytime he sees Henson stomping around the Powerade or WPIAL tourny. 

C's get degrees! 

I don't see Henson affecting PSU recruiting too much, PSU has had too much success lately and way more resources.

Pitt saved themselves a bit with Wilps making the finals but Henson is going to seriously hurt their recruiting and I see Henson tapping into Ohio as well.

The biggest question is if Henson can lure kids from 500+ miles away to WVU to make them a top 5 program. 

Morgantown is only 250 miles from Blacksburg

170 miles from Edinboro

205 miles from Columbus

Having a kid like Moisey for Henson to point to as a success story is going to be a big help.  Now, he has to continue with others and I think he will.  He has been given credit for a lot of kids at some of the other programs he was at.  He's hot right now and should get consideration from recruits.  Conversely, Rutgers and Goodale had a great opportunity in NJ but without production(AA), wrestlers won't give it as much consideration.

for some reason it appears NJ HS wrestlers enjoy leaving the Garden State. didn't realize Ramos from UNC was a NJ state champ.

also, there is so much depth in this region of the country for each one of these teams in this thread to get at least 2 studs at each weight. All of these schools mentioned have a lot to offer. 

Doors are opening.

As a Jersey guy, they diff between PSU and OSU is that the kids growing up in PA and Ohio dreaming of going to PSU and OSU.  Not the same in NJ, not just for wrestling but for school.  We want to go to PSU, VA, MD, UNC, MICH....  I graduated HS before their football team became respectable but i do not one 1 person who actually applied to RU but rather to many of the others listed.  I m very hopeful that with BIg Ten $ (in a few yrs) , Pritzalf and maybe a new assist coach,  RU will start to draw top talent.  Who wouldnt want to wrestle in front of 3k-6k fans per home meet . Our disaster of an NJ budget, prevents an additional $ going to the State U and the revenue from football and bball doesnt spill over bc its non existent.  PSU and OSU do no have similar issues.  Fingers crossed for some great Ohio, PA, NJ battles in the future.  If we can keep some of our best, we will challenge all comers.

As I've said many times before and I'll say again, absolutely one of the best technique coaches ever and a bona fide legend with lightweights. Every kid he touches us immediately 4-5 points better. His track record is undeniable. What he did this year with Moisey is UNBELIEVABLE. Unbelievable!

As I've said many times before and I'll say again, absolutely one of the best technique coaches ever and a bona fide legend with lightweights. Every kid he touches us immediately 4-5 points better. His track record is undeniable. What he did this year with Moisey is UNBELIEVABLE. Unbelievable!

I think Moisey always had this kind of potential, he was an extremely explosive and firey wrestler in HS. His biggest issues was lungs. It's like he only had 3 minutes in him, he'd get a lead, and hang on for dear life. Henson seemed to have changed all of that.