Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

Evans

Did Evans underachieve or overachieve?  I have seen comments stating that he did the absolute best within his ability.  Others have said he could have done so much more.  His style does leave a lot to be desired in terms of excitement and lack of.  I think he had much more potential and he held way too much back,   Trivia question, what does he have in common with former Oklahoma State Hwt Kirk Mammen?

Did Evans underachieve or overachieve?  I have seen comments stating that he did the absolute best within his ability.  Others have said he could have done so much more.  His style does leave a lot to be desired in terms of excitement and lack of.  I think he had much more potential and he held way too much back,   Trivia question, what does he have in common with former Oklahoma State Hwt Kirk Mammen?

I would say slight under achievement. Part of the athletic issue is that when you stop shooting you don't allow whatever athletic ability you have to develop. He was always real tough with the head and hands defense, but his offense from his high school days just disappeared at Iowa. 

I sure am not a fan of Evans. But he should have been in the finals last year, and was so close this year. We all light to rip on him for his lack of offense and everything, but it is not like he gives up many points either. Most of if not all of his losses are really close matches. To me he looked a bit uncoordinated and not the most athletic guy, but he always is giving it is all with what he has got. The guy is a Division one multiple all american, not many kids who lace up wrestling shoes can say that. 

Last year against Perry I think.

Okay, well lets say we add the 2 points to last year.   We've used up the points and he still loses by a point this year.   He can be a 1 time finalist if we give him 2 more points but he's going to need 4 points to be a 2 time finalist.   And as much as I lovfe the guy, I'm not sure he scored 4 points all weekend long.   

Funny how much of a wrestlers legacy is determined by luck. Last year he has Perry pinned in the semis, no call. A different referee there and people would talk about him a lot differently.

Not necessarily.

A different ref likely starts the match or restarts stopped situations sooner/later than the ref that had the match. None of the timing would be exactly the same, thereby altering, entirely, the physics of the match - as such the results are not the same.

Did Mike Evans had a career record of 0-7 in the NCAA wrestle backs.  Somewhat of a strange statistic if he did.  Or did he lose before the semis his sophomore year?

Yes, he lost to Storley in the quarters as a soph, then won 2 matches in the consis that Friday night

Evans is one of my guys. I followed him closely in high school and I had hoped to see him in a national final or two. Of course that's never a guarantee and generally wishful thinking but to not improve on his placing after his soph year doesn't fall on him. He gave it his all, he did everything we could have asked of him. I would have loved to see him an Edinboro, or an Oklahoma state type situation. If Brown wasn't at Penn State, that may have been a great fit for him. I think he got the most out of his situation and he should be proud of himself for that. I know I am. Could he done better elsewhere? I don't see him having done any worse.

True... That's how I feel about David Taylor. He's one of my all time favorites and I always rooted for him. I feel in a different system he could've focused more on defense and certain coaching could have helped him figure out a way to beat Dake and he wouldn't have fallen for bubba j's cradle, and seal himself as an all time great. But he did get the most out of his situation. Could he have done better elsewhere?? With better defense, I can't imagine him doing any worse.

True... That's how I feel about David Taylor. He's one of my all time favorites and I always rooted for him. I feel in a different system he could've focused more on defense and certain coaching could have helped him figure out a way to beat Dake and he wouldn't have fallen for bubba j's cradle, and seal himself as an all time great. But he did get the most out of his situation. Could he have done better elsewhere?? With better defense, I can't imagine him doing any worse.

I don't know, as much as I am a fan of Taylor and his exciting style, I just don't see how he was ever going to beat Dake.   If he goes somewhere else, he doesn't develop that offensive style nearly as well as he did under Cael and it's doubtful he ever has 4 finals appearances and 2 national titles.   And keep in mind Taylor (as well as Dake) are two of my favorite wrestlers.   I'd love to sit here and agree with you on Taylor having an even better career but you're on your own on that one.  

I don't know, as much as I am a fan of Taylor and his exciting style, I just don't see how he was ever going to beat Dake. If he goes somewhere else, he doesn't develop that offensive style nearly as well as he did under Cael and it's doubtful he ever has 4 finals appearances and 2 national titles. And keep in mind Taylor (as well as Dake) are two of my favorite wrestlers. I'd love to sit here and agree with you on Taylor having an even better career but you're on your own on that one.

Maybe you're right... Cael is a great coach. He did a great job improving the offensive arsenal of guys like Brown and Lawson as well.

personally, I have really enjoyed Mike Evans at Iowa over these last few years.  Could he have done better?  Sure.  Was he frustrating at times?  Sure.  But at the end of the day, he was mean and gritty and tough and didn't give a damn what the media or especially you all on here thought.  Scored some awesome wins inside Carver that lit up the place like some of the best in there.  Nice kid off the mat.

I'm sad to see him go, but at the end of the day a 3x AA is nothing to sneeze at.

Maybe you're right... Cael is a great coach. He did a great job improving the offensive arsenal of guys like Brown and Lawson as well.

No I think we're both right.   

You think Taylor beats Dake if he goes elsewhere for college, and he has just as good a career as he did at Pen state if not better.   I think we saw the best version of Taylor under Cael that we were going to see.   Your opinion (no matter how silly it may appear) is your opinion and based on your wrestling experience and is formed because you believe in it.   You can second guess yourself all you want, but it's your opinion.   It's certainly not wrong, I commend you for coming here and being candid about it.   Please don't allow me to intimidate you into backing down from it. That hasn't been my intention.   

personally, I have really enjoyed Mike Evans at Iowa over these last few years.  Could he have done better?  Sure.  Was he frustrating at times?  Sure.  But at the end of the day, he was mean and gritty and tough and didn't give a damn what the media or especially you all on here thought.  Scored some awesome wins inside Carver that lit up the place like some of the best in there.  Nice kid off the mat.

I'm sad to see him go, but at the end of the day a 3x AA is nothing to sneeze at.

Great post.

personally, I have really enjoyed Mike Evans at Iowa over these last few years. Could he have done better? Sure. Was he frustrating at times? Sure. But at the end of the day, he was mean and gritty and tough and didn't give a damn what the media or especially you all on here thought. Scored some awesome wins inside Carver that lit up the place like some of the best in there. Nice kid off the mat.

Sums up my feelings exactly.

No I think we're both right.

You think Taylor beats Dake if he goes elsewhere for college, and he has just as good a career as he did at Pen state if not better. I think we saw the best version of Taylor under Cael that we were going to see. Your opinion (no matter how silly it may appear) is your opinion and based on your wrestling experience and is formed because you believe in it. You can second guess yourself all you want, but it's your opinion. It's certainly not wrong, I commend you for coming here and being candid about it. Please don't allow me to intimidate you into backing down from it. That hasn't been my intention.

Oh ok... Thanks for acknowledging I'm right. :-)