Sign in to follow this  
Alexander_Delarge_655321

Should the wrestling season start in January?

Question - should the wrestling season begin in January and end in April / May?  No more cutting weight at Thanksgiving and Christmas. No more going head to head with the NCAA basketball opening weekend or that entire 3 weekend tournament. Teams could begin practicing in December but no competition until January. Thoughts? Pros/cons? I hated cutting during the holidays for sure and having tourneys over semester break was tough too. 

A resounding YES ! It should. Mine all played football as well as wrestle in high school and I believe we paid a price. Often the football teams went deep into the playoffs meaning we never had a wrestling practice until damn near thanksgiving, then jumped straight into dual meets and tournaments with little to no wrestling conditioning. We went to a small school and multi sport athletes were the rule. A January start would encourage more multi sport athletes, give those playing football a little time to transition to the real sport and heal up a bit from the football knocks. Toss in allowing kids some family time over the holidays without a rigorous tournament schedule and it seems a no brainer. My only question is why hasn't it happened ? I am also confident having a little break from football would get a whole lot more football players out on the wrestling mat and boost sagging numbers of matmen in some areas. Who know some of the idiotic football coaches who now oppose wrestling may even get on board. I wish there was some state high school athletic association with some vision and enough balls go against the status quo and just do it.

See no reason if it worked in HS it wouldn't work in college

Edited by maj

This was voted down by the coaches in the NCAA just a few years ago. Maybe PT can talk more about this but I believe this was more of a D2/D3 thing as the personnel (coaches/trainers more than the wrestlers but them too) often do more than one sport and this would be the only sport not really in any of the three normal seasons and pushes them into the start of spring sports.

It's probably not as much of an issue for D1 and I hear (JB?) that there might be a push to do this for D1. Far fewer conflicts in sports there.

Question - should the wrestling season begin in January and end in April / May?  No more cutting weight at Thanksgiving and Christmas. No more going head to head with the NCAA basketball opening weekend or that entire 3 weekend tournament. Teams could begin practicing in December but no competition until January. Thoughts? Pros/cons? I hated cutting during the holidays for sure and having tourneys over semester break was tough too. 

Some would like it to start in Jan and end in April and shorten the season by at least 3 weeks.  Make it a single semester sport and not coincide with the basketball tournament.

Sounds fine to me

It's like a Trifecta.  Could close this thread immediately after the first three posts.

Would NCAA in April be too close to the summer international season?

Who cares? One is an extra curricular event at an educational institution for the vast majority and the other is an event only a few wish to enter. Oh and they are different styles and run by different organizations.  

Do we really expect to benefit anything if our finals are not at the same time as the NCAA basketball tournament?  I mean we are not competing with their fan base for support, we have our own.   We sell out NCAAs, ESPN is giving us more coverage than ever, and ratings are up.   What exactly would change if pushed the season a month back finish in to April?

I agree.  I think making wrestling a 1 semester sport would be good overall but I don't think worrying about going up against March Madness should factor in to that.  If anything it helps because that weekend people are hyper aware of sports much more than usual.

The conversations I've had with D1 coaches lead me to believe this push for 1 semester sport is almost all about caring for their student-athletes.  Trying to sell the idea involves suppositions about viewership, timing of championships, National Duals, etc., but the genesis is trying to make the D1 schedule less arduous.  As it stands, only 10 years ago it was common to have 40-50 matches in a season.  We have seen a dramatic drop in that number, due in no small part to coaches trying to keep athletes healthy for the end of the season.  As athletes, getting one semester of classes in without any competitions would help freshman establish study habits and transition to college academics with less distraction.  Less missed classes, home for Thanksgiving (homesickness is a real thing for lots of freshman), etc. are all very real challenges for coaches.   Perhaps it might help the redshirt "abuse" that was discussed on another thread.

Start it after January 1st and shorten it at the end of April.

The largest fan base for Division 1 is K-12 wrestling and it is darn hard to find time to attend a match or conference tournament when you are still competing in your season.

It also gives new freshmen a couple more months to adjust to college life.

Plus, members of the military get more leave than division 1 wrestlers do to go home.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MMMMM....I don't know. I always associate wrestling with late fall/winter. Part of the fun was feeling the cold air on your face when walking around new towns, other school campuses, when on team trips. From a pragmatic perspective starting in January sounds good, though.

I'm all for making wrestling a one semester sport, though the frequency of freshman RS already gives a lot of athletes some time to adjust to academics & sports. But this will make it easier, so that's great. Don't forget that for some schools on the quarter system, so wrestling could straddle three quarters depending on how the dates are shifted. In the current schedule, athletes at Northwestern and Stanford for example typically have final exams the same week as NCAAs. That's pretty tough.

NCAA finals 3 weeks after the Men's BB semifinals(both  on Saturdays) 5 weeks later than now.

First Major event of the season, Midlands, 1 day earlier than now, Dec 28- 29. Scuffle same dates as now Jan 1-2.. Move CK Las Vegas tourney to Dec 30-31. Fans won't object to spending New Years Eve in Vegas. Allow teams multiple entries per weight at each. No individual enters 2 tournaments, But you can send strters and some active backups to one and Other Backups + redshirts to another. ---Maybe Move Midlands to Jan 3-4.  That would mean that guys who go back to school from Christmas on Dec 26 still get to practice 3 days (26-27-28) before flying to Las Vegas on 29th.

Season ends 35 days later than now, but starts 57 days later, net 22 days less per season.

Alternate, allow individual wrestlers to enter 1 one day tournament (max 5 maybe 6 bouts) non team score tournaments. Such Tournaments could only be Dec 17-23, after most teams have first semester finals. Season starts 47-53 days later.so season is 12-18 days shorter.. 

Edited by RichB

If its going to be a one semester sport, I'd rather it were the fall semester.  Starting it in January isn't going to lighten the practice load in the fall and will effectively lengthen the season by a month.

While it may not lighten the practice load, it will end the traveling of teams in the first semester, allowing freshmen to focus on completing an entire semester without weight cutting and team travel. 

As to extending the season, I see what you're saying, but it cuts the competition season by nearly an entire month. I'm also for that.

If the season is moved much later, the NCAA finals will be moved to ESPN 2 if they are shown at all, since that is right in the middle of the NBA Playoffs.

I would think that would depend on what the NCAA pushes for. Will wrestling die if it's on ESPN 2? Are basketball fans watching the NCAA wrestling finals when the NBA finals are not on?

I'm all for making wrestling a one semester sport, though the frequency of freshman RS already gives a lot of athletes some time to adjust to academics & sports. But this will make it easier, so that's great. Don't forget that for some schools on the quarter system, so wrestling could straddle three quarters depending on how the dates are shifted. In the current schedule, athletes at Northwestern and Stanford for example typically have final exams the same week as NCAAs. That's pretty tough.

Here's the thing I am concerned with: all the non-Division I teams in the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA that make up nearly 80% of college wrestling. The majority of those kids aren't using redshirt seasons, so thinking about what is in the best interest of the whole and not just the top tier is something I hope those in charge are taking into consideration.