Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Kyle Dake's gamble

If Dake had stayed at 157, he'd be very, very likely to join Sanderson and Pat Smith as the only D1 wrestlers to win four titles. That is some rarefied company. His place in history would be assured.

But at 165, in order to win a title, he's gonna have to get through Taylor (most likely) if he wants to be a four-time champ. Dake and Taylor wrestled an incredibly close match at the all-star meet, so its possible for either guy to win the 165-pound title.

If Dake wins over Taylor, he joins the four-timer club, with his last year being one of the most impressive seasons of the decade. He'd be an instant legend.

But if Taylor wins over Dake, history will judge Dake to be a very high quality wrestler, but one who did not particularly distinguish himself from the likes of, say, McDonough. While being a three-time champ and one-time runner-up would be a great achievement in its own right, it's not quite the same as being one of only three four-time champs. On top of that, losing to Taylor will leave room for people to argue that Dake was never as good as Taylor.

By wrestling at 165, Dake is taking a huge risk. It'll be fascinating to see how this all plays out.

Guest Hammerlock3

going the right weight is never a gamble. He is trying to grow as a wrestler, person and help his team. there was no dice metaphor in his head.

I think Dake is making a statement about his greatness by moving up a weight. As tough as St. John is, there's only one of him. At 165, there are two great challengers and each has championship credentials in his own right. I love the move. It's great for Dake and the fans.

"While being a three-time champ and one-time runner-up would be a great achievement in its own right, it's not quite the same as being one of only three four-time champs."

Really, 4 is better than 3?

Read his statement again, and save yourself some embarrassment.

"While being a three-time champ and one-time runner-up would be a great achievement in its own right, it's not quite the same as being one of only three four-time champs."

They don't teach how to diagram complex (?) sentences in MN.

I doubt anyone will say " he was never as good as Taylor" . Maybe you forgot he beat Taylor already and has never been pinned in an Ncaa final :) "Best ever " is subjective , I don't care how many titles you won. Not all weightclasses or opponents are created equal. What Cael did was amazing , he's truly one of the greatest ....but his path to four titles wasn't the same as several other great wrestlers in terms of opponent quality. Dake will probably have too many losses compared to Cael for most to consider his legacy to be as "great" . However, i hope he wins his fourth , no matter what happens he's already in elite company.

FYI he has until mid Feb to decide what weight he will wrestle at the NCAA Tournament...Qualifications not a concern!!!

Technically he has until mid Feb to make 157. He would have to decide to try to make it 3-4 weeks before that for purposes of proper descent.

I dont think Dake views it as a risk. I really believe he is one of the most confident guys in a long time.

Hes going to beat Caldwell soundly this weekend in my opinion.

Im not convinced Dake isnt in Taylors head, even though I view him(DT) as a better wrestler from a skills standpoint. Dake has the competitive edge and the mental advantage that is an invaluable asset against elite competition.

I'm tired of the debate, but I think it shows massive balls on the part of Dake to (potentially) bump up to a fourth weight class against the nation's darling in David Taylor (of whom I am a big, big fan) in order to win his fourth title. With that alone, I hope he does it.

Kyle is doing JUST what this sport needs.... !!

Getting people talking about wrestling. It doesn't matter what the topic is, as long as it gets people to get up and look.

I'm sure if Kyle stays at 157 he has a better chance of being a 4x champion, and that would be great.

It would/will be a feat that only few will ever accomplish.

For Dake to go "balls to the wall" and attempt the 4x - 4 weight class championship says a lot about him.

After all is said and done. If Dake achieves this goal, it will create conversation OUTSIDE of the wrestling community, and that's EXACTLY what we need.

We need to have ESPN interview him a zillion times, he'll be on magazine covers all over the world, and have every local wrestling club asking him how he did it, and why.

He will be the Topic of the Day... and hopefully even longer.

They will make comercials about him. Tiger, Bruite, ... you name it...

It would be about time that wrestling gets a nationaly recognized poster boy for athletic wear. Why does it always have to be football, basketball, baseball, or soccer ??

Maybe, even someday, they make a movie about he guy... !!

If he loses to Taylor, or even someone else.... that too will creat conversation. It won't be the same, but it will be conversation none the less.

It's a win / win situation for the sport of wrestling...

Look... it's even inspired THIS thread.

and if you've ever had a chance talk to Kyle Dake.. he makes a GREAT ambassador for this sport... and we need more like him.Everybody should get on board with this... and help create the "stir"

My 2 cents worth.

What are you talking about?

They don't teach how to diagram complex (?) sentences in MN.

Ummm...I read it right gents. Just think it's painfully obvious what he is stating...that 4 titles is better then 3.

I don't see any great risk he's taking. It's not like he's going to end up homeless on the street if he doesn't 4-peat.

4 titles, 4 seasons, 4 different weights, no red shirt, ivy league courses = best college wrestler ever.

Ivy League courses are not much different than anywhere else, generally speaking. Unless you are talking specific schools or programs (Like Business, Law, etc)...generally courses at colleges not in the top 4-5 (Cornell, Penn, Duke, etc) are the same as anywhere else.

going the right weight is never a gamble. He is trying to grow as a wrestler, person and help his team. there was no dice metaphor in his head.

I couldn't agree more. That right there is the healthy attitude towards the sport.

For example, I think JO did himself a disservice by being so sucked down last year. In hindsight, he could have done at least as well last year by going 149. And he would have wrestled a lot, lot better. And been a happier dude.

Dake no matter if he tech's Taylor in the finals will be considered better than Cael. Look up Cael's 159 wins and place it besides Dake's. No comparison. Dake will be in the tier of guys under Cael. And if anyone says Dake's competition was tougher, I have to strongly disagree there. Eggum won a silver medal. Taylor can not even come close to making a world team. Cormier was a Bronze medalist and and two time Olympian. Who has Dake beat that has even come close to making a world team? Guys, Dake is no Cael. He is much more like Pat Smith. Great but just not the greatest, I am sorry. The evidence at the moment just does not prove Dake being better than Cael nor ever will it in my opinion. The 4 different weights is special for sure though.