Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

The six (and only six) things you can say about Miller v. Realbuto

FOR KENT STATE 1: Miller won the match. The ruling on the mat should have been reversed, putting Miller in the semifinals.

FOR KENT STATE 2: Miller won the match. To be fair, they should have re-wrestled it.

FOR KENT STATE 3: Miller won the match. Cornell, Koll and Realbuto should have done the honorable thing and forfeited the undeserved victory.

FOR CORNELL 1: The ref put the wrestlers into OT. Realbuto got the takedown in OT and won. Neither Realbuto nor the Cornell team bears responsibility for the error.

FOR CORNELL 2: The score was wrong, but it’s impossible to know how the match would have ended had the wrestlers seen the correct score on the board. Realbuto might have gotten back points at the end of the match or he might have gone fore a throw or Miler might have bellied out earlier.

THE NCAA VIEW: Miller should have won. But Kent State waived their right to protest when they left the mat area.

I don't see a point in a re-wrestle--at the end of regulation, the correct score was Miller 10, Realbuto 9.

The Kent coaches should have gone to the head table and demanded the ref consult the score keeper before OT began.  This is very common--the ref consults the scorekeeper and tracks the progression of points to make sure everything is logical.  If the ref made the KSU staff sit down without a review, they should have raised the flag for an official protest.  Also, a competent ref would have gone to the table for a quick clarification of score before starting the OT and a competent scorekeeper would have spoken up.

If Koll truly didn't know the score was wrong, he has no culpability.

The wrestlers did their jobs and it was a helluva match.   Too many others did not, however.

Edited by Coach_J

In all the threads I have read on this so far no one has discussed what the live commentary was. I (sadly) didn't watch the match live, but on Flo there is an archived match (which is a very-well-done highlights from the match) and at the end there is zero commentary such as "the score is wrong! why are they moving to OT?" The closest they get is saying something along the lines of "did he get an escape there?" 

Honest question: of those who saw the match live, how many were screaming at the moment that they missed the score?

Has anyone ever witnessed the coach of a wrestler who has benefitted from a bad call ever asked for it to be reversed?

Seriously, the conversation could go like this, "Mr. Official, I had a much better angle on that locking hands call and from our perspective, the opposing wrestler never locked his hands, can you take that penalty point away from my wrestler out of sportsmanship and character?"

I keep saying it, I have seen youth coaches do a better job of fixing the score during the match and I have seen HS coaches not let their wrestler leave the mat while the other wrestler has left the mat until the issue is 100% resolved.  The officials and score table screwed up and the Kent State coaches dropped the ball....period....

What world some people live in.

I think this was a bit more confusing than a locking hands call.  Points were scored in bunches and everyone was watching the clock in addition to the score.  

Yes, it's not comparable to a locked hands call, which, ultimately, is the ref's judgment.  The progression of points scored is not a matter of judgment--it's verifiable and logical.  In the last portion of the match, you cannot have two takedowns without an escape in between.  That's not judgment, angle, or point of view--just logic.

How does the coach(es) not know his wrestler was not given an escape point? I am not arguing - terrible way to lose.

The same way rob koll did not know his wrestler was behind by one

Other than all the drama afterward it was a pretty good match

agreed Coach.  I think the problem for the viewing audience was due to the fact that during the sequence where the points were scored, the camera zoomed in.  Had the viewpoint remained where it was for the majority of the match, most viewers would have noticed the ref not signaling for the escape (or if he did signal, it not being rewarded).  As it was, there was no view of the ref or the score table.  I just assumed the escape was included in the final score.  I was totally confused, but the look on Miller's face went along with the scoring error to confirm *incorrectly* that it was tied.  The next thing I knew they were lining up for overtime.  

Edited by ironmonkey

agreed Coach. I think the problem for the viewing audience was due to the fact that during the sequence where the points were scored, the camera zoomed in. Had the viewpoint remained where it was for the majority of the match, most viewers would have noticed the ref not signaling for the escape (or if he did signal, it not being rewarded). As it was, there was no view of the ref or the score table. I just assumed the escap e was included in the final score. I was totally confused, but the look on Miller's face went along with the scoring error to confirm *incorrectly* that it was tied. The next thing I knew they were lining up for overtime.

You could see the physical scoreboard shortly after the "escape" and you could see that it actually showed 8-8 and then they took 1 away from Realbuto to make it 8-7. I think they might've given the escape to the wrong guy and then forgot to give it to the right one.

I do think the refs thinking KSU was trying to give Miller a break is a possibility. I said this in one of the other threads but it was m first post so took several hours to be approved by the administrator but in the world of hypotheticals Miller probably should've been hit for stalling with 20 seconds to go which would've been 1 for Realbuto (although the warning was questionable).