Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Can anyone explain the rise of Zeke Moisey?

The facts: 44-0 state AA champ @ 126 from Bethlehem Catholic his senior year. 2x runner up. 

Trust freshman season 31-13 going into NCAAs.Garrett beat him 19-8 during the season, Moisey beats Garrett 5-2 second round. Klimara beat him twice during the season, 10-2 and then 5-3. Moisey beats him 5-2 in the quarter finals.  He also lost to Dane (in SV) who Gilman beat in the quarterfinals (in SV). He lost 7-3 to Ben Wileford from Cleveland State (13th seed, DNP) and 6-2 to Trey Andrews (who lost to Klimara first round) and to 4-3 Petrov from Bucknell (16th seed, DNP). We all know the story.

He must have had the raw talent all along and finally put it together. Or did everyone just miss his tremendous cradle? Anyone have an explanation or a theory for that matter?

No, I honestly don't.  Sam Henson got in his head and convinced him that he belongs in the big show and Moisey believed it.  This is a complete guess on my part obviously.  Perhaps early round opponents took him for granted.  

Not only that, in HS he was, I believe, a zero-time state champ (just like me).

Pretty sure he won it his Sr. year. I watched the match and at least that is what my memory recalls. Maybe he just wrestled with greater emotion now, and maybe he had a plan. I saw someone on another board speculate that he threw caution to the wind against Gilman with the objecvtive to throw the entire kitchen sink at him in 3 minutes of tornado like wrestling hoping to overwhelm him and end it early, knowing that if he did not then he'd get beat later in the match. Sounds a little crazy, but he did overwhelm Gilman so who knows. 

He had shoulder injuries it seemed for much of his HS career but you always saw the talent, the kid is good and his improvement this season is really similar to Megaludis' freshman year although Mega wasn't getting blown out in the beginning of the season like Moisey was but Mega was a 3xer with only 1 loss.

I think it is a combination of hard work with his talent, good coaching and the fact he was hot coming into this weekend.

Another small school kid like Retherford and Brown for Lehigh. 

Funny, the WVU website lists him as top-5 all four years at Bethlehem Catholic so you'd think he didn't win it. Bad advertising:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/bethlehem_catholics_zeke_moise_7.html

My bad. But the WVU website is surely to blame. If they were writing up Kyle Dake, they'd say he was a four-time all american, or maybe a three-time EIWA champ.

I hate to say it, but I think everyone took him for granted. Look at his record, look at his non-seed, his school (forgetting that Sammy Henson is in his corner). Tomasello will know better than to think he has his number, take him seriously and probably crush him. If Moisey wins, though, then, well, dreams really do come true. 

Pretty crazy. He did win two matches against Matt Kolodzik last year and that opened some eyes, but then he got hammered by Micic at Dapper Dan. He wrestled Tomasello earlier this year and got destroyed, but I'm guessing it'll be a little closer this time around.

Moisey won states his senior year, and I was there and watched it. In fact about an hour ago my two sons just got done wrestling with the kid Moisey beat in the state finals. My nephew and him were teammates. I was there the year before when Moisey got pinned in the first by Ryan Diehl in the first period. Diehl was a huge favorite going in so Moisey tried to hit a big move but it backfired and Diehl pinned him. Diehl is the only guy to ever beat Jason Nolf in high school. That was at states the year before that I believe off memory.

Edited by Chasden