Sign in to follow this  
GoldenGofer

Cael just won Matt Brown the title

Cael's legacy as a coach is going to be interesting - time will tell if he goes down being considered as one of the best, or simply the beneficiary of having generational talents in Taylor and Ruth at the same time.

You look at Perry and what he's done with IMar in terms of developing him.

Koll with Dake and Dean.

Smith with Dieringer.

Etc...

Edited by BraunMann

Brown straight up got away with cheating. At least he can justify it by thinking he got cheated two years ago.

Perhaps you're thinking of flagrant misconduct when a bottom wrestler stands and drops to a knee with the top wrestler still clasping or having locked hands.  

Brown appeared to be kicking to a hip-heist separation not dropping down. That wasn't cheating.

He grabbed his unclasped hand and held it to appear that it was clasped.

It looked like he did do that but that was after the hands were locked plus Wilps probably could have easily moved the other hand.

You only get reaction time when returning the man to the mat from his feet, I think Brown's hand never left the mat.

Edited by 1032004

Cael's legacy as a coach is going to be interesting - time will tell if he goes down being considered as one of the best, or simply the beneficiary of having generational talents in Taylor and Ruth at the same time.

Koll with Dake and Dean.

Smith with Dieringer.

Etc...

C'mon, dude.   Unless he pulls a Brands and stays off the top rung for a half a decade, his legacy is in great shape.   The points they redshirted may have  got them the title this year - I'm not a PSU fan at all, but to suggest Cael's legacy is at all in question ridiculous.  And is Illinois only good at developing one guy at a time, because that's been their speed under Perry?

What a horrible ending to a match. A stall call to tie and a locked hands to win. The 5 count for the top man when the bottom guy is mule kicking out is a dumb rule. I had to switch over to watch some college hoops...I understand those rules better

Koll with Dake and Dean.

Smith with Dieringer.

Etc...

This is quite possibly the most absurd thing I ever read on this forum. I will not even respond, oh wait I already did. haha

It looked like he did do that but that was after the hands were locked plus Wilps probably could have easily moved the other hand.

You only get reaction time when returning the man to the mat from his feet, I think Brown's hand never left the mat.

I just re-watched it.  Brown did stand up for an instant supported by only his feet.  However, he was also initially preventing Wilps from locking his hands.  Brown had Wilps' left wrist in a two-on-one and was creating separation as if he planned to turn in for the escape. Then he suddenly dropped toward the mat and it was unclear to me whether Wilps was able to get his hands locked before Brown was back down or not. If he wasn't, I'd assume reaction time would be a moot point. And, if he did manage get his hands locked while Brown was still upright, the referee (after video review) apparently thought that he exceeded reaction time prior to unlocking them.

Koll with Dake and Dean.

Smith with Dieringer.

Etc...

Haha. So some coaches get credit for developing blue chippers, but others don't.

Koll with Dake and Dean.

Smith with Dieringer.

Etc...

Lol, the Ed Ruth that never made a state final match in PA (although he left as a Jr).

How about Conaway as an AA? Very run of the mill guy coming out of hs. PA state champ but nothing too crazy.

Megaludis in the finals as a true freshman/soph. Was that a no brainer?

Retherford very good in HS, but Cael had him ready to beat Steiber shortly into his career.

...Not to mention he coached Jake Varner to an Olympic Gold. Was Varner just clearly more talented than the whole world?

I just re-watched it. Brown did stand up for an instant supported by only his feet. However, he was also initially preventing Wilps from locking his hands. Brown had Wilps' left wrist in a two-on-one and was creating separation as if he planned to turn in for the escape. Then he suddenly dropped toward the mat and it was unclear to me whether Wilps was able to get his hands locked before Brown was back down or not. If he wasn't, I'd assume reaction time would be a moot point. And, if he did manage get his hands locked while Brown was still upright, the referee (after video review) apparently thought that he exceeded reaction time prior to unlocking them.

Yeah, I rewatched it as well and he did stand up, however it looked to me like he then went for a switch/sit out, he wasnt just hoping to get a locked hands. So allowing for reaction time does make the call less obvious but it still looked like he held it beyond reaction time and the refs agreed.

Lol, the Ed Ruth that never made a state final match in PA (although he left as a Jr).

How about Conaway as an AA? Very run of the mill guy coming out of hs. PA state champ but nothing too crazy.

Megaludis in the finals as a true freshman/soph. Was that a no brainer?

Retherford very good in HS, but Cael had him ready to beat Steiber shortly into his career.

...Not to mention he coached Jake Varner to an Olympic Gold. Was Varner just clearly more talented than the whole world?

Matt Brown was #77 ranked coming out of high school and ended up a National Champ/3 time AA.

Conaway is the second guy in a row for PSU to AA that was not ranked in the top 100. 

Sanderson is proving he can develop wrestlers at all levels to the best of their ability.