Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Really bad call and Matt Brown is a $%&*

Why was it the right call... ???

"....The mere touching of the defensive wrestler's hands to the mat is not considered a change in this position unless the hands are weight-bearing, in which case the offensive wrestler is ALLOWED REACTION time to release the lock....... "

If the lock occurred (as he said) with 1 second left.... where is the reaction time... ???

when reaction time is this close... splitting hairs here... OT would have been a good choice ...

Edited by conanNY

"....The mere touching of the defensive wrestler's hands to the mat is not considered a change in this position unless the hands are weight-bearing, in which case the offensive wrestler is ALLOWED REACTION time to release the lock....... "

If the lock occurred (as he said) with 1 second left.... where is the reaction time... ???

when reaction time is this close... spitting hairs here... OT would have been a good choice ...

Disagree, that was clearly clasping.  Reaction time on clasping applies to after a takedown, not so much while riding.

when reaction time is this close... spitting hairs here... OT would have been a good choice ...

The refs almost never give reaction time on locked hands, that's just the way it's called.  At best it's a judgement call since reaction time is subjective.

Disagree, that was clearly clasping. Reaction time on clasping applies to after a takedown, not so much while riding.

Agreed definitely clasped. .. anytime you go from standing position to the mat ( TD or Mat Return)... reaction time should be part of the call.... when locking occurs during mat wrestling, locking is almost always immediately called. .imo... reaction time should have been factored in... especially on such a high profile match ..OT

Edited by conanNY

Brown initiated the return to the mat for the purpose of getting a locked hands call. No problem with that. It didn't work because Wilps released his lock in a reasonable time. Brown stopped trying to escape. Rather than try to escape, brown held wilps hand in a position to make it appear clasped.

Brown initiated the return to the mat for the purpose of getting a locked hands call. No problem with that. It didn't work because Wilps released his lock in a reasonable time. Brown stopped trying to escape. Rather than try to escape, brown held wilps hand in a position to make it appear clasped.

the last sentence is exactly why Brown's character should be called into question. it is simply a pu$$y a$$ way to win a national title.

after all the people calling for Koll to do the right thing, why not call for Carl to do the right thing?

the last sentence is exactly why Brown's character should be called into question. it is simply a pu$$y a$$ way to win a national title.

after all the people calling for Koll to do the right thing, why not call for Carl to do the right thing?

You sir are an idiot. You come off as extremely bitter. Have fun going home with your 2 All Americans (one who got outclassed in the finals and another who lost to a PSU wrestler for 5th). Better luck next year, although I doubt your team will improve that much. 

you're an idiot. Really. You are. 

You sir are an idiot. You come off as extremely bitter. Have fun going home with your 2 All Americans (one who got outclassed in the finals and another who lost to a PSU wrestler for 5th). Better luck next year, although I doubt your team will improve that much.

I guess PSU nits can't count

Horrible ending. A well fought match that was very even gets decided on a technicality. I agree with the chants from the crowd. Let them wrestle! Wrestling is its own worst enemy at times. I switched over to watch hoops after that. The stall call with 10 seconds left and then locked hands. Refs are way too involved in the outcome of matches. Basketball is so much easier to watch.

Horrible ending. A well fought match that was very even gets decided on a technicality. I agree with the chants from the crowd. Let them wrestle! Wrestling is its own worst enemy at times. I switched over to watch hoops after that. The stall call with 10 seconds left and then locked hands. Refs are way too involved in the outcome of matches. Basketball is so much easier to watch.

i stopped reading after you wrote you switched over to watch hoops...

Here's the relevant rule from the rulebook on reaction time:

SITUATION 3: Wrestler A is on the bottom, stands up and turns into Wrestler B. Wrestler B’s knees are on the mat and are supporting him. Wrestler B locks hands around both legs of Wrestler A in a double-leg situation with no loss of control. Wrestler B then lifts Wrestler A, brings Wrestler A to the mat, unlocks hands and moves up. QUESTION: Should Wrestler B be called for locked hands? RULING: The wrestler in the advantage position could lock hands once the bottom wrestler’s weight is supported entirely by both feet. Once the wrestler brings the opponent to the mat, the wrestler with the advantage has reaction time to break the grip. 

the match shouldn't come down to video review?

im wondering why in this age of instant replay, that Miller of Kent State wasn't in the finals.

Pretty cut and dried. any other sport...this doesn't happen.

the right call was made. wilps made a grade school mistake in the finals. sorry.

should learn to stall less.

I guess PSU nits can't count

I had forgotten Mitch Minotti as he did not wrestle in his placement match and had to default due to injury. Congrats to him on his second AA finish. I like seeing all Pennsylvania wrestlers do well. It still doesn't change that fact that your team still won't compete for a title and you sound like an idiot. Nice try.

Edited by RecHall

Wow. Bitter much? 

People have complained about stalling relentlessly, and then when someone gets penalized for stalling there are still complaints. Can't have it both ways. 

These were 2 evenly matched guys.  Brown won because Wilps made a technical error locking his hands and also was hit by a stalling call expressly designed by the rules makers to do what it did in that match.  The line between champ and running up is razor thin.  He and his coach followed the rules as written.

Brown wasn't a d1ck about it.  He's a humble 4.0 student, ROTC, doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and will be a 2nd LT in our armed forces upon graduation.  I mean it would be hard to find a cleaner cut all american kid.  Why all the hate?

He's a humble 4.0 student, ROTC, doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and will be a 2nd LT in our armed forces upon graduation.  I mean it would be hard to find a cleaner cut all american kid.  Why all the hate?

AnimalHouse6_004Pyxurz.jpg

People have complained about stalling relentlessly, and then when someone gets penalized for stalling there are still complaints. Can't have it both ways.

Huge difference between riding parallel for a whole period, or blocking and not shooting from neutral and not working up within 5 seconds from the ankles. Guys mule kick like crazy knowing it can lead to a stall call.

Imagine a person watching the finals for the first time. They watch several matches were nothing really happens in the first period. In fact, the odds are 50-50 that the first period ends 0-0, with very little action. Then, you see guys lacing an ankle and building up riding time...not much action. No stalling calls in either situation. But, a tightly contested battle between to evenly matched wrestlers (where action is occurring) is determined in the last 10 seconds because one guy isn't "working up" to control the other guy. Lots of action going on, yet stalling helps determine the outcome. This newbie to the sport would rightfully be perplexed at the strange ways that wrestlers generate points. Probably isn't coming back for more. A ref awards 2 points in a period of 10 seconds that gives a guy the national title. It just seems that wrestling is its own worst enemy.

I was agnostic to the outcome. Matt Brown seems like a stand up guy, so no ill will towards him. If he gets a TD in OT to win a title, I would be super excited for him. Winning this way hurts the sport, and now Brown will live the rest of his life with this over his head. You think he wants a title in this fashion?? I will be waiting for the "but those are the rules" replies.

There's too much rhetoric about what helps or hurts the sport. It's used too often as a trump card to bolster one's opinion.

I'm not a PSU fan by any means, but Brown was getting one either way here...by escaping or by awarding a point for the technical violation of locked hands which was preventing the escape.

You know it was a lousy way for a match to end. You can whine about it or move on. If you think that trashing the wrestlers or the system will somehow re-align the cosmos, you are sorely mistaken. As for Wilps, sure he will never forget this, if he is scarred for life, that's on him. As for a tainted title, Brown will just have to not fret over that. Broken dreams can induce transformation for good or bad, their choice. You think Snyder is moping around? The time that a guy gets to wrestle in college is short, then your life begins.