Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Really bad call and Matt Brown is a $%&*

Here is the Pitt side of the story, as published in yesterday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  As noted by the previous poster, Mr. Wilps is a smart young man headed to medical school, so it seems like time will heal this wound:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/college/2015/03/27/South-Xtra-Violations-cost-Char-Valley-grad-in-NCAA-final/stories/201503270092

Maybe it's nitpicking, but Wilps saying "Brown pushed my hands together" makes this explanation less believable IMO.    You could maybe argue that Brown held his hands there, but Wilps clearly locked on his own (initially legally but did still have them locked when Brown went down to the mat).

Maybe it's nitpicking, but Wilps saying "Brown pushed my hands together" makes this explanation less believable IMO.    You could maybe argue that Brown held his hands there, but Wilps clearly locked on his own (initially legally but did still have them locked when Brown went down to the mat).

Exactly.  The whole issue was he was still locked around the waist and didn't release it as he was required when Brown went down on a knee.

I hope people are just trolling when they say Brown somehow cheated to win. 

That is what makes video review bad. Refs really don't like to call locked hands when there is locked hands for just an instant. But there was indisputable evidence that he locked his hands. It was a pretty dick move of Cael's part to ask for video review on that.

Edited by dhun

There is not indisputable evidence that he locked his hands.  There is indisputable evidence that Brown dropped to a knee with 1 second on the clock, Wilps released his lock and Brown controlled Wilps' left hand while helping the ref to make a call that he was not in a position to make.

There is not indisputable evidence that he locked his hands.  There is indisputable evidence that Brown dropped to a knee with 1 second on the clock, Wilps released his lock and Brown controlled Wilps' left hand while helping the ref to make a call that he was not in a position to make.

Except locked hands by definition means two hands.  Even if Brown controlled one of Wilps' hands there's really no reason Wilps' couldn't have released the lock on the other one.

Edited by 1032004

Regardless, it was a dick move on Cael's part. The rule should be changed so that the wrestler has one second to release the lock. This would avoid all dumb conflicts.

Edited by dhun

Wow, It's now officially immoral to do your job and contest a call that would benefit your wrestler.

Lets recap some things shall we, Wilps did NOTHING for most of that match and tried to steal a victory by finally shooting at the end of the 3rd. He then resorted to hanging on the legs (stalling) and locking hands (illegal) to try to eek out a victory over someone that he has never defeated. If there's any morality question here, it's Wilps conduct in that last period.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

yeah there is no question of morality here imo.

Is Brown definitely done competing? Wilps? it would be cool if they kept the rivalry going like Hamlin and Q Wright. 

What do you mean? Was Cael moral, or immoral?  

Hi all,  Let's face it.  A lousy ending to the match.  PSU fans will agree with the call.  Pitt fans will not agree.  They are not going to change their mind. Nothing is going to change the result.  OT might have but we will never know.  I wonder if Cael ever tried that maneuver to get a point.

Dick move I can agree with, but people make "dick moves" in sports all the time.

But immoral? LOL.  Technically, if he really thought it was locked hands and didn't challenge, THAT would be immoral because he'd be letting Wilps get away with an illegal move just so they could "let them wrestle."

Flying tiger(with a cougar) if you thought that Wilps had no chance since he never beat Brown, it shows you are I bit a biased tiger or cougar are whatever kind of cat. Fact is he beat Kokesh, something Brown had trouble doing. Of you go back and review the tape, you will see that Wilps actually took the lead by scoring offensive points with 20 seconds left. The tie and winning poi were awarded due to penalties. To suggest he tried to " steal" the match is somewhat irresponsible. I'm not saying Brown did anything wrong, but he certainly was no scoring machine that night.

Tiger, you probably shouldn't use somebody "hanging onto legs" as a defense for Matt Brown, that's pretty much all he does (did) o.o

I'm not sure there's validity or not to Brown forcing Wilps to lock hands and dropping to a knee - if he did I wish he'd have gotten dinged for it, but the ref didn't see it that way. My only further comment is this: Thank God that I will never have to watch another Matt Brown match again, he was the most boring wrestler (even over Tsirtsis) I have ever watched compete - especially when he was on top.

Cael did nothing untoward.  Brown -- sure looks like he cheated to me.

At any rate, Wilps did more to win that match than Brown did.

Brown cheated. Hahaha. Are you serious, this is comical.  I have not watched it since live but I am pretty darn sure Brown took more shots and didn't Wilps kind of jump out of bounds twice for a restart when Brown had a leg? Wilps also got dinged for stalling he cause he did basically nothing most of the match. 

I love hating Penn State as much as the next guy, but this thread is beyond ridiculous.

Congrats Matt Brown! Young man sure seems like a class act to me.

Some of you people are a joke.

Thank you. Great post.

Brown cheated. Hahaha. Are you serious, this is comical.  I have not watched it since live but I am pretty darn sure Brown took more shots and didn't Wilps kind of jump out of bounds twice for a restart when Brown had a leg? Wilps also got dinged for stalling he cause he did basically nothing most of the match. 

I don't even have a horse in this race, but Brown's actions really irk me.   I know, I'll have to die with it but first its coming off my chest.

With all due respect, you need to watch the match again.  They took an equal number of committed shots.   Neither was a more effective aggressor.  I say Wilps did more because he actually scored more points.

The stall warning was arbitrary.  It is a poster child for why the rule of stalling is a joke.  The action at that point was no different than at any one of ten other points in the match, but was called nonetheless.  The last stall was also BS.  Halfway into the count he released one leg, grabbed the other leg and then immediately covered the hips as the ref was triumphantly raising his fist.  BS stalling! Can anyone point out this 5 count rule?  No doubt it exists, but I couldn't find it in the rule book.

There are so many issues with the locked hands.  The first is that one of the camera views clearly show Brown on his feet when the clock has 1 second remaining.  Since Brown volunteered the information that he took the action to the mat,  one second is reasonable reaction time and the match should go  to overtime.  The behavior that really irks me is that Wilps released his lock and Brown forced Wilps' hands together and had the nads to tell  the ref he was locking!

Enough said.  Brown is champ and I threw out my two cents.

Edited by Plasmodium