Sign in to follow this  
divot_head

Missouri

They just don't seem ready tournament time. Seems as though their National Champs are individuals with Type A personalities. Kind of do it yourself guys. I thought with Sammie there it would change. They had the talent to do it this year but fell far short of potential. I don't think you can blame the boys,you can't assume or say they should be ready. 

It's the NCAA tourney, what team lived up to expectations? 

Even tOSU underperformed with DiJulius, Martin, and Demas dropping matches they could have won. 

So, one kid used his aggression inappropriately.

Cox ran into a Jr. World Medalist. 

Waters lost to the Big 10 Champ

Houdashelt! 

The rest didn't fail, they ran into serious competition. 

Don't forget the wildcard kids, who don't care at all about their seed - just go in and tear the tournament to shreds. Talk about type A's...

Missouri had one wrestler wrestle above seed (Milklus) and one wrestle to seed (Houdashelt - can't go higher than 1) but every other seeded wrestler didn't wrestle to seed and they had a seeded wrestler ejected from the tournament for headbutting (when he was in the process of being eliminated). They came in with a legit chance to win and absolutely blew it.

Maybe Ben Askren will publish an article on Flo about how badly they underperformed and call for a change at the top. Or maybe not.

It's the NCAA tourney, what team lived up to expectations? 

Even tOSU underperformed with DiJulius, Martin, and Demas dropping matches they could have won. 

So, one kid used his aggression inappropriately.

Cox ran into a Jr. World Medalist. 

Waters lost to the Big 10 Champ

Houdashelt! 

The rest didn't fail, they ran into serious competition. 

Don't forget the wildcard kids, who don't care at all about their seed - just go in and tear the tournament to shreds. Talk about type A's...

"Cox ran into a Jr. World Medalist."

I love the excuses.   The NCAA champion goes down to a frosh and the frosh's credentials in an entirely different style is what the problem is here.  

Well with excuses like that, lets hope he doesn't run into the intramural thumb wrestling champion from the state school a couple of time zones over.   Might be trouble! 

The dorks who post on here make this place a treat to come visit!  I haven't laughed so hard at the unintended humor since..since... well since yesterday when I logged on here.   Thanks guys, I mean that sincerely

I love the excuses.   The NCAA champion goes down to a frosh and the frosh's credentials in an entirely different style is what the problem is here.  

Wow, a sophmore lost to a freshman...oh the humanity...

Choked. At Home

Hmm...if you want to throw around choking allegations, Iowa may fit the bill a little better than Mizzou - at least according to Intermat. Their final NCAA championship tournament rankings, updated on March 10, projected the top five teams as:

1. Iowa: 99.5 points (Previous ranking: #1)
  2. Missouri: 96 points (Previous ranking: #3)
  3. Ohio State: 93 points (Previous ranking # 4)
  4. Minnesota: 89 points (Previous ranking # 2)
  5. Cornell: 84.5 points (Previous ranking # 5)

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/Team

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

You are reaching Hurricane.

LOL!  How is that reaching?  Do you not consider Intermat a reasonably objective site?  

If not, what about Earl's site?  D1CW's Official 2015 NCAA Predictions for the team race were also:

1. Iowa
  2. Missouri
  3. Iowa State
  4. Minnesota
  5. Cornell

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/NCAAPredictions2015.html

Acknowledging an opponent's pedigree = making excuses. Only in Iowa.

Cox, got nailed with a nice pick with Snyder and then wasn't able to regain from that. Mclintosh had had several close matches with cox. You could argue it was a matter of times. Also got nailed with a pic again. It happens. It is hard to when 4! Obviously.

Waters.... Didn't have a bad match. Tomasello was the worst possible match up and that was the wrestler of most concern... And that is not an assumption. So he didn't have a bad tournament.

Mayes lost to heil, who was poorly seed and coached by the best strategist in the country (john smith). His other loss came to dance. So it isn't like he wrestled a terrible tournent. If dance doesn't get upset Mayes is probably wrestling for 3rd. It was a bad cross for him.

Synon wasn't expected to do much.

Lavalee was a little off but probably wasn't gonna AA

Mellon wrestled great. Lost two close matches to guys he had never beat.

England had a phenomenal tournament despite falling short.

Milkus has a fantastic tournament.

The only guy who really wrestled poorly was Eblen. However, when you have 10 guys there is usually someone who will fall short of expectation.

Even tOSU did with Demas and Dijulious. The difference is there other guys wrestled lights out! Especially courts. He was huge and essentially is axing performance clinched it for them. Endiboro wrestled great and was able to get third in light of losing emblems points. So saying mizzou underperformed was not accurate. They had a shot to win it but they would have had to have had the tournament ohio state had. Especially in light if how the semis landed. With this match ups there was no way those teams were finishing 1 & 2. It was almost impossible. At best they were gonna be 1 & 3 because they were gonna knock each other off in the semis. That is about how it went with tOSU being the 1. The point deduction cost mizzou the third

Reaching again. Howdashelt and Miklus did outstanding. I won't mention the others

Nope, not reaching at all.  You're the one that claimed that Mizzou choked.  I just pointed out that, if you want to use that term, it seems more applicable to Iowa from an overall  team race perspective.  As examples, I provided you with links from Intermat and D1CW  that showed they both projected Iowa to win it all, not Mizzou.  And, as a matter of fact, TOM also projected the same top 3 as those sites:

1. Iowa
  2. Missouri
  3. Ohio State

http://www.wrestlestats.com/Rankings/Team

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

The bottom line is Ohio State outperformed their seeds. Iowa and Missouri underperformed. Missouri, just a little bit more than Iowa.

That seems to be a fair summation, although I think that Iowa and Mizzou's underperformances relative to individual seeds were roughly the same.  Based on a quick review, I think Mizzou had 4 guys perform at or above seed to Iowa's 3, but Mizzou had 5 guys perform below seed to Iowa's 4 - pretty much a wash, IMO.

Mizzou underperformed by a slight amount. Waters and Cox underperformed in their semifinal matches. Waters did absolutely nothing to be offensive or score on Tomasello. Other than the 2 shots Cox got in on, he was content with hanging around on a collar tie with Snyder and barely moving around all match. Neither of these 2 wrestled the way that got them to the semis, by being offensive and scoring points, and it cost the team heavily since they were matches against Ohio State. And Eblen obviously underperformed. Other than those aspects, Mizzou out performed my expectations. We had Miklus, England, and Mellon exceed expectations and have great tournaments. Despite Mayes finishing lower than his seed, he still AA'ed and had a close match with Carter. I wouldn't say that's underperforming. Waters rebounded after his loss to finish 3rd, so there's not much else he could have done after losing to Tomasello. And Cox lost to McIntosh, who I predicted he'd beat, but who has been just wrestling great since the end of the regular season.

So like I said, overall Mizzou probably underperformed slightly, but it was due to 1 wrestler having a bad tournament and 2 poorly wrestled matches. That's what happens when your team relies so heavily on its top guys, like Mizzou did with Houdashelt, Waters, and Cox. Mizzou had to have them all at least make the finals with at least 1 champ to be close to finishing top 2.