silver-medal

Ohio State Part 2

Preseason:  Minny is the team to beat...Schiller, both Dardanes, Ness, Storley...5 potential finalists...Ohio State is too inexperienced.

Early season:  Iowa has emerged.  Every starter a potential placer.  Beating everyone in sight....Ohio State has injuries and took 2nd in Vegas...lost two duals on criteria...just not there....

Later in Season:  Maybe it's Mizzou with Waters, Cox and Houdashelt and a great lineup...they're beating everyone....three likely champs....Hunter is hurt badly and who will make the finals besides Logan?

Big Tens:  Great tourney for Ohio State but Iowa should have won it.  Bucks peaked too early.  Some of those guys won't score at NCAA's.  It's still Mizzou or Iowa.  

NCAA Tourney:  With three frosh in lineup and no Hunter Stieber in terms of scoring, OHIO STATE LED THE TOURNAMENT FROM START TO FINISH!  

Three young wrestlers, one more flawless effort from Logan and a minor miracle in Courts took the Bucks from wire to wire.  Congrats to the wrestlers, coaches and their families.  Every wrestling fan in the country should take a moment to at least acknowledge that this was seldom seen brilliance in a team that had every reason not to be this good.  Congrats to the Buckeyes.  You are the National Champs.  

(Pause for a moment before beginning your posts about how good PSU will be next year or the pros and cons of Iowa.)

Yes , this is good. though i would add that pre-season Cornell thought it was in the hunt. If Garrett had won and Palacio, Pickett or Bennett had each won one more match, Cornell would have taken second, tho I see no scenario for Cornell beating tOSU.

Great job to Ohio State!

Logan Stieber was flawless again which is a feat in itself. 

Putting three freshman in the 1, 2, 3 finishes at nationals is unheard of no matter how heralded they were. 

Congrats to Kenny Courts for a great tournament. 

silver - medal, I honestly believe that outside of these mat.com forums, Ohio State was the pre season pick. Even here a few of us, most notably MSU158, stuck with Ohio thru much of the season. What amazes me is that they pulled it off without Hunter's points. 

Great job to Ohio State!

Logan Stieber was flawless again which is a feat in itself. 

Putting three freshman in the 1, 2, 3 finishes at nationals is unheard of no matter how heralded they were. 

Congrats to Kenny Courts for a great tournament. 

Heralded by some. Dismissed by others.

silver - medal, I honestly believe that outside of these mat.com forums, Ohio State was the pre season pick. Even here a few of us, most notably MSU158, stuck with Ohio thru much of the season. What amazes me is that they pulled it off without Hunter's points. 

Truly. It was also a ready made excuse that became unnecessary.

An interesting note is that Ohio State would have won this tournament if they only brought four wrestlers (the Kenny Courts miracle run only scored 10 points).  Also, those four were seeded 1, 4, 4, and 4, and Bo Jordan scored 1.5 more points than Kyle Snyder.  It just goes to show once again that anyone is really in this thing if you have a couple people who really know how to put up bonus points.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Hunter's health was my only reservation.  It is amazing that it really looked like, and Ryan kept saying so, Hunter's going 0-2 both motivated and galvanized the team.

LkwdSteve,

Are you honestly saying I was pushing tOSU to have an excuse for Iowa losing?  If you believe that................wow............just wow................

I am a fan of the sport first and foremost.  I may cheer for Iowa more than other teams but I am not a blind fan.  I call it like I see it.  On paper tOSU, coming into the season, looked to be far and away the most talented team.  They hit some big speed bumps along the way: H. Stieber's injury, Jordan being out for a while, Demas, Martin and Courts hit rough patches.  Still, they were the most talented team and really showed the most heart come NCAA tourney time! 8 of their 10 guys at least won 1 match.  Pretty impressive.

Edited by MSU158

Hunter's health was my only reservation.  It is amazing that it really looked like, and Ryan kept saying so, Hunter's going 0-2 both motivated and galvanized the team.

LkwdSteve,

Are you honestly saying I was pushing tOSU to have an excuse for Iowa losing?  If you believe that................wow............just wow................

I am a fan of the sport first and foremost.  I may cheer for Iowa more than other teams but I am not a blind fan.  I call it like I see it.  On paper tOSU, coming into the season, looked to be far and away the most talented team.  They hit some big speed bumps along the way: H. Stieber's injury, Jordan being out for a while, Demas, Martin and Courts hit rough patches.  Still, they were the most talented team and really showed the most heart come NCAA tourney time! 8 of their 10 guys at least won 1 match.  Pretty impressive.

Whoa. Hold your horses. Has nothing to do with you.  IF Ohio State had been edged out of first, Ohio State's fans would have been wistfully musing about injuries doing us in, especially if other fans started offering excuses about the injuries their team suffered.

Can they repeat?  You have to imagine they will get more scoring out of 133, 149, 157, 174, and Heavy since they got basically nothing from those weight classes this year.  Plus who ever replaces Logie at 141. 

They have 4 big time recruits to add to the lineup next year.... Thomas Haines, Micah Jordan, Myles Martin, and Keshawn Hayes.  Those are all top 10 recruits on DICW.

Plus they have a couple Ohio State Champs in Jose Rodriguez and Kolin Moore coming in joining a couple other Ohio State Champs coming off their redshirt season in Jake Ryan, Seth Williams, JP Newton, and Ryan Harris. 

Plus perhaps a healthy Hunter Stieber, rumors are he is set for surgery in two weeks and should be back on the mat in September.  Internet rumors though unconfirmed.

But how does a team replace a guy like Logan Stieber? 

I'm happiest for Tom Ryan, one of the best people in the D1 coaching ranks. He exemplifies the type of coach I wish more D1 programs had. I loved hearing his story about his first season at Hofstra, when they lost every match during the first round of their conference tournament. Ryan said he went under the bleachers and cried like a little girl. You've come a long way, sir! Very well deserved championship. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Sorry if this a dumb question but would the fact that an Olympic Training Center being right in Columbus decrease the chance/necessity to the logistics and proximity?

Now I get and understand during the season a wrestler like Snyder will be focusing on Folkstyle but he is already working out with Olympic hopefuls and World medalists Tervel Dlagnov and Tommy Rowlands anyways. During the offseason, he's already there in Columbus to train freestyle. The fact he wouldn't have to go away somewhere to train, would that make it less likely for an OSU wrestler to take an Olympic? TIA

Edited by Aviator12

Sorry if this a dumb question but would the fact that an Olympic Training Center being right in Columbus decrease the chance/necessity to the logistics and proximity?

Now I get and understand during the season a wrestler like Snyder will be focusing on Folkstyle but he is already working out with Olympic medalists Tervel Dlagnov and Tommy Rowlands anyways. During the offseason, he's already there in Columbus to train freestyle. The fact he wouldn't have to go away somewhere to train, would that make it less likely for an OSU wrestler to take an Olympic? TIA

Dlegnav and Rowlands ,  which Olympics did they place ?

I was pulling for Ohio State and Edinboro.   When Pesky Iowa lodged themselves between the two and threatened to come back in the wrestle backs, I have to admit I was ultra relieved to watch them choke away any hope they had of overtaking the buckeyes.   Iowa wet the bed and Ohio state was able to come out on top.  kudos

I'm happiest for Tom Ryan, one of the best people in the D1 coaching ranks. He exemplifies the type of coach I wish more D1 programs had. I loved hearing his story about his first season at Hofstra, when they lost every match during the first round of their conference tournament. Ryan said he went under the bleachers and cried like a little girl. You've come a long way, sir! Very well deserved championship. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Tom Ryan is definitely a great guy.  He's always been exceptionally nice to me, and I'm just a guy who loves the sport.

He deserves every accolade that has been coming his way.

He's also shed more tears than any parent should have had to have shed in a lifetime.  For that alone, I admire and support him.

Dlegnav and Rowlands , which Olympics did they place ?

FIFY

I was pulling for Ohio State and Edinboro. When Pesky Iowa lodged themselves between the two and threatened to come back in the wrestle backs, I have to admit I was ultra relieved to watch them choke away any hope they had of overtaking the buckeyes. Iowa wet the bed and Ohio state was able to come out on top. kudos

Cletus_Tucker,

Who exactly choked for Iowa?

Gilman was the 6 seed and finished 4th losing to #1 seed Waters.

Clark finished 2nd losing to an unbeatable(at the tournament anyway) Brewer.

Dziewa lost to Mayes again.

Sorenson took 4th losing to the former NCAA Champ and the newly crowned NCAA Champ.

Kelly wasn't beating anybody.

Moore-see above.

Evans-lost to Kokesh for the millionth time and lost a very close match to Crutchmer.

Brooks-lost to the 1 and 3 seeds.

Burak-lost to the 2 and 3 seeds.

Telford-stormed back in the consi's but Medberry is pretty hard to beat 3x in a season.

The Championship was won by tOSU.  It was NOT lost by Iowa.

Edited by MSU158

MSU158 your stats don't tell the complete story.  

Did you actually watch any of the tournament or did you simply cut and paste final results, compare them to the horrible seeds, then conclude Iowa did just fine?  Guys like you (stat kings) are a dime a dozen.   

I urge you to actually watch Iowa's matches and then tell me if you're still challenged to find where they choked.  

Good day sir! 

MSU158 your stats don't tell the complete story.  

Did you actually watch any of the tournament or did you simply cut and paste final results, compare them to the horrible seeds, then conclude Iowa did just fine?  Guys like you (stat kings) are a dime a dozen.   

I urge you to actually watch Iowa's matches and then tell me if you're still challenged to find where they choked.  

Good day sir! 

i dunno, i thot Iowa did OK. maybe underpreformed a little but how many more points were you expecting them to score? does the score count as a stat? if so, maybe you could name a few matches where Iowa guys undepreformed? i'm looking for matches to back and watch this weekend so any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cletus_Tucker,

I may literally be the LAST guy that posts on here that you should call out for actually watching matches.  I had a 55" and 70" screen side by side with 2 computers set to 4 screens so that I could watch all 8 mats at once for the first 3 sessions and still did 2 computers as the number of mats went down to 6 and then to 3.  I also had a 3rd tv set up just to do the audio for the ESPNU and ESPN feeds.  Finally, I had my phone going with the Off the Mat feed while I watched the finals on TV.

To sum it up, I watched EVERY Iowa match.  If you want to go into the minutiae of every loss and every win they had I will gladly debate you IN REAL TIME, so NEITHER of us can "cut and paste"!  I would, however, warn you that wouldn't be in your best interest............

i dunno, i thot Iowa did OK. maybe underpreformed a little but how many more points were you expecting them to score? does the score count as a stat? if so, maybe you could name a few matches where Iowa guys undepreformed? i'm looking for matches to back and watch this weekend so any suggestions would be appreciated. 

It depends how you look at it. If Iowa is judged solely by seeds, then they did about (but not quite) what should have been expected of them at that moment that the seeds were announced. If you judge them based on what the national wrestling community outside the boundaries of Iowa had expected of them, again, they pretty much did as expected. 

Now, if you judge them by

1) how Iowa fans thought they would do pre season, after Midlands, after the Southern Scuffle, after they rolled thru the Big10 schedule, and after they licked their wounds post natty duals and got their "Iowa style" swagger back on ... 

2) how pre season a number of Iowa fans here crazily thought Nick Moore was better than Bo Jordan ...

3) how Josh Dziewa was ranked 5th in March ...

4) how Iowa fans believed Sam Brooks was a top 5 guy ...

5) how pre season many Iowa fans here argued no way in hell Nate Tomasello could possibly finish higher than Thomas Gilman  ...

Since all of the above actually happened, if you judge them by those standards then Iowa crapped the bed.

If you still need specific matches, then go re watch 3rd seeded Bobby Telford losing to unseeded Spencer Myers and 5th seeded Josh Dziewa losing to unseeded freshman Kevin Jack who, before you claim or remind me that he made the semifinals, just understand he also lost a lot of matches this year including his final three matches in this event. How about Thomas Gilman being unprepared for the onslaught that Zeke Moisey put on him. Just a few good examples. 

Edited by TBar1977

wow, i think you enjoy watching Iowa lose more than you enjoy watching PSU win. to each their own. 

on balance (so taking the bad AND the good) into account, i thought Iowa had a slightly below par tournament, based on expectations after the Big Tens. mid season expectations were indeed higher. i wouldnt say they crapped the bed. some other teams had worse tournaments but i wouldnt say they crapped the bed either.

but good call on All American two sport varsity Big Ten athlete Spencer Myers first round victory over Big Bobby T. Myers is all sorts of awesome and i will enjoy watching that as I missed it the first go around.