NJDan

Who won the OW and the Gorrarian (sp?)

I think ow should have went in this order

Brewer (number 13. Destroyed Dardanes, and bonused almost everyone else I think)

Gwiz (heavyweight that scored around 30 points!!!! Wow)

Deringer (#1 walked through the field)

Steiner (could make am argument like you could for Deringer)

Gasson (big finals match but not donating otherwise)

Doubleleg, check the results. Gadsen had at least two falls (including one in the FINALS), a tech, and a major decision. That is absolutely dominating. And what he did to Kyle Snyder was the most dominating performance in the finals by far since the ultimate sign of domination is pinning your opponents shoulders flat to the mat.

For those arguing for Gadsen to receive the award:  He pinned a true frosh in the finals.  Logan beat one of the most dominant seniors in the country and a guy who finished his career 2,3,2.  

Flip Side:  Gadsen was dominant at what I believe was arguably the best weight class.  

Snyder beat the defending champ. True freshman or not, he proved he was capable of beating an NCAA champ and Gadsen stuck him with the best move of the night in dramatic fashion in arguably the most top-heavy weight class this year.

Most points scored: Gadsen

Most dominant tournament: Gadsen

Best finals performance: Gadsen

Deepest weight: Gadsen's (arguable, but hard to call 141 tougher)

With all due respect to the great Logan Stieber, one of my favorite wrestlers ever, Gadsen deserved OW to go with a lifetime supply of ice cream.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

When Cael was a senior, i and several others thought Michael Lightner 141 for OU should have gotten the OW. He beat Doug Schwab former 141 chsmp who he had lost to in the finals as a soph. Cael's final match against Cormier wasn't as dominating as he'd been in previous finals. Logan winning his 4th title was the trump card for winning the OW.

Outstanding Wrestler this year was the same as when Cael won his 4th title. A career achievement award more than the outstanding wrestler of the tournament. Cael would have the better claim for OW as the way he won was taking it to his opponent and piling up points. Steiber didn't do that in the finals.

This year OW should have gone to someone else.

I completely understand how a 4xer gets the nod every time. Prestige and difficulty.

The OW ballot that the coaches sign off on should have in bold print at the top:

ONLY CONSIDER THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS NCAA TOURNAMENT

Conflate: to bring together, to confuse.

When Cael was a senior, i and several others thought Michael Lightner 141 for OU should have gotten the OW. He beat Doug Schwab former 141 chsmp who he had lost to in the finals as a soph. Cael's final match against Cormier wasn't as dominating as he'd been in previous finals. Logan winning his 4th title was the trump card for winning the OW.

Cormier was in Cael's junior year

Edited by vsnej